Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio Help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Thoken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Help

I have an old futaba contender that I just started using to fly my newt28d, I have lost it twice for a split second so I think it my be time for a new radio and receiver. I still have a sportsky4 that I use to fly my gas trainer. I would like to start flying some of the mini and micro planes later on. Any suggestions. Please keep in mine that I am trying to stay on a budget. (fhss/fast?)

Radio Suggestions
Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
dignlivn

Default RE: Radio Help

JMO,

Futaba 2.4 Fasst .

Bob
Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go again.... Chevy VS Ford. Any brand of the new radios are fine to use. Pick your poison and run with it. If you're a Futaba guy they have many nice rigs to pick from.

Ken
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No Ford/Chevy here I'd 'even' rather use the sixty dollar Hong Kong nine channel 2.4 than I would that old Contender in anything.

John
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Oberst
Banned

Any 72MHz radio would be your best bet. Futaba still makes them, me I like the older JR 72MHz radios. You can get them at a good price because you have many thinking the new 2.4GHz systems are better, and moved away from 72MHz thinking they are upgrading.

If you research it- like a few have like me, some of us with a open mind found that the 2.4GHz system is not that better of a upgrade and has its own issues with brown outs and black outs, and soon enough the 2.4GHz radios might be impounded at large events among with the 72MHz. Eventually the 2.4GHz will be replaced by the new updated MHz system. The new MHz that is going to replace the 2.4 GHz system is now in the testing faze. This is what I was told by some that are very knowledgeable with the project that is going on.

Stay away from the 2.4GHz and get a more reliable 72MHz radio. I have not ever had a problem with it, and I always make sure no one is using my channel, also I don't mind using the impound. Plus I don't have to worry that a wireless phone or Wi-fi might mess with my channel.

Pete
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Oberst
Banned

Personally, I stay away from 2.4 GHz radios. See the link below for more information as to why I made the decision.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...he-discussion/

I have no problems with any of my 72MHz and Futaba still makes and sells them at Tower Hobbies. I don't mind the antenna, using the impounds and have never had a problem using a radio on my channel because all the places I fly have a strict impound code. I have not ever suffered a "Brown Out" or "Black out" and I don't have to worry about someone using a wireless phone or tablet around me when I'm flying.

Many large events are considering using the impound again for the 2.4Ghz radios because so many people use them. The MHz uses radio bands for its channels, and the GHz uses light spectrum for its channels. If you are flying with a 2.4GHz radio and someone turns on their radio that is on the same spectrum channel, your radio will automatically start wanting to re-bind with your airplane using another channel. That's when you will experience a "Brown Out." Now if your radio can't find a channel open to use because you are at a big event and many have their radios on, then it will go into a "Black Out Mode" because your radio can't find a open channel to re-bind with you aircraft. The Futaba Fast System searches for the channels quicker, reducing "brown out" time. Some have more channel bands so that the "Black Out" will be less likely to happen.

I was told by people who are knowledgeable in the business, and are part of the project, that there will be a replacement to the 2.4GHz system with a newer, more reliable MHz system, and it is currently in the testing phase.

I would stick with your 72MHz. If you know it works, leave it alone. Quite a few like myself are stocking up with the older radios because we know soon enough the 2.4GHz will be a thing of the past. Especially the more unexplaned crashes occur at these big events like Joe Nall. Last year it was the Futaba 2.4Ghz system that was in question. Not JR! Usually Spectum 2.4GHz radios had all the problems before. Someday people will finally realize that the only problem is the Band, not radio brand.

2.4GHz is fine for indoor flight, but with my $2,000 dollar aircraft, I only use 72MHz radios. Period!

Pete
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete.. there are quite a few Pattern and 3D pilots that could prove you wrong on that assumption.

CGr.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Pete.. there are quite a few Pattern and 3D pilots that could prove you wrong on that assumption.

CGr.

They can disagree all they want, but what some of them claim- is it true? How many aircraft have crashed without finding the real reason other than doing something stupid? Usually my aircraft fly well on their own- I'm the only defect when it comes to my planes. With my 72MHz, my radio is the last thing I think about if or when, something goes wrong.

I just got insulted by email over this by one of the marketing moderators. So far none of you have proved me wrong, or proved others that wrote articles on the 2.4GHz controversy wrong by having a good educational debate on the subject. Instead, we get people insulting or degrading us because they don't have proof to prove us wrong, and it threatens the market because they produced the 2.4GHz radios before looking into the problems and issues with them.

Marketing is involved here and anyone who is sponsored by JR or Futaba etc. doesn't want this type of debate going on and will dispute the facts with conjecture. Just think of the lawsuit they'd be facing if there was enough evidence that they went ahead with the 2.4GHz radio knowing ahead of time there was issues with it and someone could prove they were
negligent.

Mark my words, everything works on the 2.4GHz system today, wireless phones, blu-tooth, wi-fi, baby monitors and etc. In time, the people who aren't having problems with their 2.4 GHz radios will over time as more and more devices use the 2.4GHz system. Also there is enough on the internet in what causes 2.4Ghz interference, so if you don't believe me (like most of you are trying to find fault) look it up and or google it.

Dave Horvath is very correct in his findings and I know of one electronic engineering doctorate that also agrees with Mr. Horvath. The AMA is aware of the 2.4GHz issue and is well aware of Dave Horvath's findings. They will not comment. To do so would upset the manufacturer and they could get into trouble. Moderators, I know you too couldn't write a bad review ie "don't bite the hand that feeds you concept." I'd rather be told the truth than have someone try to sell products in this hobby that has defects, and the suppliers are more into making a buck than actually trying to improve the products we use.

I am not under any contract, nor does anyone pay my bills, so I will write it as I see it.

Pete
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Oberst
Banned

I'd stay away from 2.4 GHz radios!

I have no problems with any of my 72MHz and Futaba still makes and sells them at Tower Hobbies. I don't mind the antenna, using the impounds and haven't ever had a problem using a radio on my channel because all the places I fly have a strict impound code. I have not ever suffered a "Brown Out" or "Black out" and I don't have to worry about someone using a wireless phone or tablet around me when I'm flying.

Many large events are concidering using the impound again for the 2.4Ghz radios because so many people use them. The MHz uses radio bands for its channels, and the GHz uses light spectrum for its channels. If you are flying with a 2.4GHz radio and someone turns on their radio that is on the same spectrum channel, your radio will automaticly start wanting to re-bind with your airplane using another channel. That's when you will experience a "Brown Out." Now if your radio can't find a channel open to use because you are at a big even't and many have their radios on, then it will go into a "Black Out Mode" because your radio can't find a open channel to re-bind with you aircraft. The Futaba Fast System searches for the channels quicker reducing "brown out" time. Some have more channel bands so that the "Black Out" will be less likely to happen.

I was told by people who are knowledgeable in the business, and are part of the project that there will be a replacement to the 2.4GHz system with a newer more reliable MHz system and it is currently in the testing faze.

Stick with your 72MHz. If you know it works, leave it alone. Quite a few like myself are stocking up with the older radios because we know soon enough the 2.4GHz will be a thing in the past. Especially the more unexplaned crashes occur at these big events like Joe Nall. Last year it was the Futaba 2.4Ghz system that was in question. Not JR! Usually Spectum 2.4GHz radios had all the problems before. Someday people will finally realize that the only problem is the Band, not radio brand.

2.4GHz is fine for indoor flight, but with my $2,000 dollar aircraft, I only use 72MHz radios. Period!

My last post of this was removed because they didn't like what I wrote. I reposted what I just PM'd you so you get the message anyway. RCU gets funding from Futaba and JR, and the watch dogs at RCU are protecting them from possible lawsuit or from anyone with the truth. The moderators also don't like it when someone gets inside info before they do.

This is what one of the moderators wrote me when they removed my post:

Mike B.

" Pete, I don''t know where you get this erroneous info, but 2.4 is far superior to 72MHz and it''s here to stay. Spektrum has had some issues with brownouts, but every other system is far more reliable than any 72MHz system on the market. You are propagating false rumors which you are convinced are true, but which simply are NOT. Stop listening to the conspiracy theorists. You are starting to sound like those loonies who believe the Apollo program was a hoax and that 9-11 was a government conspiracy."

There you go, good luck Thoken, check it out and investigate it yourself if you don't believe me. That's what I did, then I got with the AMA about it.

Pete
Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Oberst
Banned

I have no problems with any of my 72MHz and Futaba still makes and sells them at Tower Hobbies. I don't mind the antenna, using the impounds and haven't ever had a problem using a radio on my channel because all the places I fly have a strict impound code. I have not ever suffered a "Brown Out" or "Black out" and I don't have to worry about someone using a wireless phone or tablet around me when I'm flying.

Many large events are concidering using the impound again for the 2.4Ghz radios because so many people use them. The MHz uses radio bands for its channels, and the GHz uses light spectrum for its channels. If you are flying with a 2.4GHz radio and someone turns on their radio that is on the same spectrum channel, your radio will automaticly start wanting to re-bind with your airplane using another channel. That's when you will experience a "Brown Out." Now if your radio can't find a channel open to use because you are at a big even't and many have their radios on, then it will go into a "Black Out Mode" because your radio can't find a open channel to re-bind with you aircraft. The Futaba Fast System searches for the channels quicker reducing "brown out" time. Some have more channel bands so that the "Black Out" will be less likely to happen.

I was told by people who are knowledgeable in the business, and are part of the project that there will be a replacement to the 2.4GHz system with a newer more reliable MHz system and it is currently in the testing phase.

Stick with your 72MHz. If you know it works, leave it alone. Quite a few like myself are stocking up with the older radios because we know soon enough the 2.4GHz will be a thing in the past. Especially the more unexplaned crashes occur at these big events like Joe Nall. Last year it was the Futaba 2.4Ghz system that was in question. Not JR! Usually Spectum 2.4GHz radios had all the problems before. Someday people will finally realize that the only problem is the Band, not radio brand.

2.4GHz is fine for indoor flight in my opinion, but with my $2,000 dollar aircraft, I only use 72MHz radios. Period!

Pete
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Oberst
Banned

I was told by people who are knowledgeable in the business, and are part of the project that there will be a replacement to the 2.4GHz system with a newer more reliable MHz system and it is currently in the testing faze.

2.4GHz is fine for indoor flight in my opinion, but with my $2,000 dollar aircraft, I only use 72MHz radios. Period!

Pete
Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Redbaroness13

ORIGINAL: Oberst

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blog/2011/05/30/2-4ghz-is-it-all-its-cracked-up-to-be-join-the-discussion/

That is your opinion and you were friendly about it. I too personally don't trust 2.4 radios either. I guess it comes down to choice and be aware of the possible warnings.

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Redbaroness13

That is your opinion and you were friendly about it. I too personally don't trust 2.4 radios either. I guess it comes down to choice and be aware of the possible warnings.

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Redbaroness13

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Redbaroness13

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Redbaroness13

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Redbaroness13

I was told by people who are knowledgeable in the business, and are part of the project that there will be a replacement to the 2.4GHz system with a newer more reliable MHz system and it is currently in the testing phase.

Pete

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Redbaroness13

Pete

Red

Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're interested in the small electrics, get a Spektrum. The "Bind and fly" planes you see all have Spektrum receivers in them, and they are a little cheaper than buying the non receiver version (plug and play) and then adding a different brand. The Spektrum DX6i will serve your needs well for those planes. It has the most commonly used computer features and model memory, which is a huge plus when you add multiple models to your collection.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
RiverLarry

+ 1 on what Jester__s1 DX6 I is a great TX

DX 6 I DX 7 9503 DSMX
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 AM
bruceal

If your on a budget, the Futaba 6J is a nice radio. The recievers are also affordable. I have a member of my club has one and I'm impressed by this inexpensive radio. As for me, I have the 8fg. This is a radio that I can use for a long time with all of the progamming that it has. But in the end you should go for the best radio that you can afford.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 AM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Hy will depend on your budget.

The hitec aurora 9, futaba 8fg, airtonics sd 10 are good bargains for what they do.

If this is to high probably get a used futaba 9cap wichh have been very dependable.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I fly an Aurora 9, but if you are on a really tight budget, here you go. Use your old switch, maybe some fresh batteries, and your old servos should work. These radios are used around the world and appear to function quite well, probably less than $80.00 delivered from their USA warehouse...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

I have been flying the Turnigy 9x for three seasons. I use frsky, HK, and Assan modules. No problems with any of them. Have hundreds of flights. I fly small electrics to big gas airplanes with it.

Under $100.00 shipped and you can still get two or three extra receivers.

THAT is the radio on a tight budget. A quality radio at a good price.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

get a Spektrum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.