Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

engine is choppy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine is choppy

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
jybrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine is choppy

Hey all!

I have a stock Parkzone Mustang p51D BL and have been having a blast with it. For some reason today i was flying and a minute after take off my engine became choppy. I had full throttle and it sounded like "verr verr verr" Sorry hard to explain. It was full throttle then lose power than throttle back up and it kept going like that. My guess is the ESC is going bad, what do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: engine is choppy

Usually pulsing is your ESC's way of telling you your battery has reached the low voltage cutoff. So if you are sure it was fully charged before taking off, maybe it's time to cycle test the battery to see if it's going bad?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i had similar problem with my parkzone extra 300

it did same thing

i called horizon hobby
they sent me a new motor,
installed it,
problem persisted

then
i called them, they sent me new ESC
i nstalled it,
problem persisted

then, i went and bought a new battery

wala,
that baby flew super nice

called them and told them, they sent me a new battery.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little throttle management may be in order here. Please remember that electtrics require much more throttle management than do glow engines. The throttle is not an on-off switch.

When I flew my electics for the first time, I found that going to full throttle for take off then learning how to fly them with the correct throttle response, meaning, finding the throttle setting that gives you a good straight and level flight and then leaving it there unless doing maneuvers, is hard to learn, although I fly my glows that way. The batteries are not like fuel tanks on glows. When they begin to run down, the more that you demand, the less you have. Then they begin to surge like the OP described.

CGr.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 AM
jybrd

Thanks guys, I will be searching for a new battery it sounds like.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 AM
startazz

I've got the same PZ P-51 and it's there little 1300mah 12c battery thats the problem mate,i've used two of them in my P-51 and they both gave up the ghost really fast and did what you said yours did.

So i went over to the Turnigy 1800mah 20c battery and i get more flight time and a faster P-51 now,if you want to try one go over to Hobbyking.com,if not just get a better make of battery than what PZ gave us with this plane,don't get me wrong i'm not knocking HH/PZ because i have loads of there planes and most of the PZ warbirds but i just won't buy the BnF planes now because of there batteries,i now just get there PnP ones and put my own Turnigy batts in there with my own RX.

I just tried to reply to this thread and my post didn't show up for some reason so if you see two of my posts saying the same sort of thing you will know why.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good idea, but remember not to go TO big with that battery pack replacement. With electrics, weight can be the kiss of death, as with any RC aircraft, but moreso with electrics.

CGr.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM
goirish

HEY CG, are you going to Toledo this year?