Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Complete n00b getting into the biz

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Complete n00b getting into the biz

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:26 PM
AirBot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete n00b getting into the biz

Hi all.

I'm looking to get into flying RC planes. I have a birthday coming up (Sept. 9) and my birthday present will most likely be an RC plane. I was thinking of buying one of the cheaper ones off of eBay. I'm looking at 3 channels RTF right now (probably a Shunda Accipiter Badius). Anyway, I was looking for any advice you can give me on how to get into the hobby.
Will a 3 channel plane do (rudder + elevators + motor speed)? I really don't want the 2 channel ones since as an experienced flight simmer these just don't look like airplanes to me at all. At the same time, 4 channels are pretty much out of my price range (and I imagine are quite difficult to learn to fly on).
Do you know if there are any clubs here in Israel that could help me get started? I'm not sure how easy it is to learn to fly one on your own.
I'd appreciate answers to these questions and any other advice you can give me on getting started in the biz.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Woodsy

Welcome to the hobby (almost).
the diferance in price between a 3 and 4 chanel plane is probably a few $ as they probably both use a 4 chanel or more radio gear, but a nice 3 channel plane can be just as much fun

my advise is find a local club (the nearest one to you i know of is in the UAE) keep WELL away from radio gear on ebay unless it's realy, realy cheap.

Buy a 40 size plane and engine of bigger.

i'm not sure what material resources are like over there but have a look at the scratch build and SPAD forums here on RCU.

good luck
Old 08-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Woodsy

I found these guys, give them a call if there selling there sure to know where a club is.
Toys & Models - 2/A Yehiam Street, Kiryat Bialik 27093, Israel Tel/Fax: +972-4-8705969

They even ave a price list on the net.

looks like they run a club
http://www.toys-n-models.com/en_site...club/club.html

and an indoor free flight group
http://www.geocities.com/simplex_il/in1.html
Old 09-01-2003, 01:33 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be VERY careful! Do not buy any of the inexpensive electrics on eBay until you KNOW what you're doing.

Many of those "deals" are cheap pieces of crap that very good RC pilots can't fly. Usually because they don't have enough power to get into, or stay in the air.

Look for a local club, or at least someone near you who's already made the mistakes. You will do much better with an instructor and good equipment from the beginning.

Best of luck, and welcome to a great hobby!
Dennis-
Old 09-01-2003, 12:05 PM
AirBot

Thanks for the replies guys.

My problem is that I don't know if there are any clubs near me, and I very much doubt it since I live in a fairly remote region.
Also, the cheaper planes on eBay are pretty much all I can afford, since it seems online stores price these planes at $100+ for a simple 2 channel park flyer (even w/o shipping!).
I don't know much about the hobby, that's why I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on what to look for and what to watch out for.
Specifically, I'm currently looking at the Shunda Accipiter Badius which has 3 channels and seems to be in my price range. I was hoping it was a well-enough known model that you guys could tell me if it was appropriate for me.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:58 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'd still try to find someone fairly local that can help, but....

That airplane is not common here, but I seem to remember looking at an eBay sale for that plane. IF it's the one I'm thinking of, it MAY be okay judging from what I read. (Did they have small animations at the end of the ad showing the control surfaces moving?)

Keep in mind, teaching youself to fly can be very difficult, and I doubt you'll learn without a number of crashes. It is possible though.

You might also watch eBay for a GWS Slow Stick (3 channel foam plane). They come with the electric motor and gearbox for around $40. With the Slow Stick, you can use standard size radio equipment, and Hitec 4 channel radios typically sell for about $115 (Or a LOT less used, but be careful). You'd still need an appropriate battery pack for the electric motor and a charger for the pack. Those two items might total another $50.

Better than $400 to $450 for glow that probably would not last through learning though!

BUT! If you enjoy this, and want to get into bigger stuff, the radio equipment that comes with those 3 channel packages is NOT useable in glow type airplanes. So you pay up front for good equipment, or you buy cheaper now, and pay later.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a great hobby!
Dennis-
Old 09-02-2003, 09:42 AM
AirBot

I'd like to find someone local who can help me learn, but I don't know if that will happen. Regardless, I would like to purchase the RC plane independently and not depend on some club to loan me a plane on weekends.

Yes, they did have animations showing the control surfaces moving. Fairly large animations actually, and even some movies.

I don't expect learning will be easy. I do hope though that I'm able to learn to fly it well enough before it reaches it's crash quota :P

The amount you quoted for the GWS Slow Stick is WAAAAY out of my price range, especially if you figure in the rather hefty price of shipping.

As you see, I'm on a very limited budget (which is the reason I'm looking to eBay in the first place). I doubt I'll get enough money to buy good equipment, and doubt even more I'll need it since I'm not likely to have enough money to afford a good plane any time soon.

It sure is a great hobby, but an expensive one. I'm starting to doubt I can afford it at all, and even more that I'll be able to get into it any time around my birthday

Thanks for all the help so far though.