Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to planes!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to planes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
nitrosteve22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to planes!

And very excited! Always had nitro RC's but as I get older,for some reason I thought I needed a plane so... Ordered a P40 Warhawk thats RTF,electric. Gotta learn on my own (no clubs around or such thing) ... Any tips?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: New to planes!

Boy, I was trained at a R/C club.
I would recommend a high wing trainer type plane instead of starting with a low wing warbird.
Do some searches of the beginners forums and you will find lots more advice.
I'd also recommend you buy a flight simulator (Real Flight, Pheonix, etc.) and use that until you get comfortable with stick control and orientation.
Good luck to you, don't get discouraged crashing and rebuilding are inevitable in this hobby. But as you get better, they become fewer and farther in-between.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to RC Aircraft.

I think you may want to choose a different aircraft to learn with. Keep that plane for the future, but I would follow the suggestion above and get a good high-wing aircraft that has been rated as a trainer.. slow and forgiving. Get one with four channels, throttle, elevator, rudder, and ailerons.

Forget all the gizmo's (flaps, slats, and all the other stuff) until you get flying the trainer as a trainer and can sucessfully fly it, and land it, without crashing. Fly it high (we call it three mistakes high).

Since you already do RC Cars, you know the right-left thing (orientation changes as the plane is coming toward you from what it was going away - all turns are with reference to the aircraft and not to you).

By their nature, warbirds are difficult to handle and are not really good trainers.

CGr.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Sherv

Yea I would look at a nexstar and buy all the electronics from hobbyking. You will save money on bec/ubec/servos from hobbyking and maybe even save money on an ASP engine from hobbyking.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJDH3&P=ML

www.hobbyking.com

If you don't have an air RC controller then look at the Turnigy 9x. It is fantastic (cheap) and the stock Rx module supports frequency hobbing over 16+ plus frequencies so its better than DSM2 in that area plus receivers cost 8 bucks.... If you want an even better module then go for the FrSky Jr style module... They are fantastic in performance/price/features plus telemetry!

Well the more I think about it... I think you should pass on nitro if you are going to fly/learn alone (go nitro after you learn to fly). I would suggest flying electric foam as they are very durable (Depends on the model)

Axn Clouds fly
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18916

VERY Durable, i basically learned to fly on this and crashed it so many times... Still flies! It is also very quick and if you put a 30amp (stay away from 20amp) esc you can upgrade the prop to a 6x5 for even more speed. Very stable, agile, and a great size that fits in any car.

Heres a video of mine with an hk wing cam

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADn9ayT4NQE&list=UU3gDybnd8cPYV0I_eH9fB8A&index=3&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 AM
nitrosteve22

Wow! Thank you guys very much,I'll spend some time researching (like I should have done in the first place lol) and make sure I know what I'm getting myself in to. Thanks again for your advice fellas,thats what I love about rcu,good people .
Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Tip 1: I know that the Turnigy and Eurgle radios have a following because they are cheap, but I'll recommend you skip them. Do some searching and you'll find enough reports about malfunctions to at least make me not want to use them. If a cheap radio causes you one total loss crash, you've lost more money than you've saved with it.

Tip 2: if you absolutely must try to do the hobby without any help, at least read the AMA safety code and abide by it. It has been developed over many decades of this hobby and is your best bet to avoid an injury to yourself or damage to others' property.

And tip 3: seriously evaluate your intended flying area. You need lots of wide open space to fly in, more than you think. If you can see trees, chances are you will hit one of them eventually. You also need flat ground to do takeoffs and landings. Even if an undeveloped piece of land looks flat, it often isn't flat enough for our little wheels to roll on. That factor alone makes a club worthwhile for many.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 AM
jetmech05

Why don't you go to the AMA web site and search for clubs....I'll bet that there is a club closer to you than you know.
Why a club...because there is lots of knowledge there...you'll get answers to questions you didn't even know you had. There are friends there you haven't met yet, good friends.
We are telling you this because we want you to be sucessful and enjoy the hobby.
Learning by yourself can be expensive, and aggrivating.
A high wing trainer as a first plane with an instructor is 95% succesful.
Good Luck
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is nowhere in the continental US that is to far from a club, field and most importantly help.

punch in your zip code here, you will be surprised:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Attempting to teach yourself is a fools mission when its no longer neccessary as it was in the distant past. While your RC car experiance will help in general set up, you will have a very steep learning curve to climb.

Remember the 'Right Stuff' is a Hollywood myth and everyone must crawl before they walk. As the others have already noted picking a completely inappropriate airplane is a sure way to waste time and money.

Looking forward to you success and hoping you heed the information the fellows and I are posting.

John
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: nitrosteve22

Gotta learn on my own (no clubs around or such thing) ...
Not true at all!

FLIGHTMASTERS OF KLAMATH FALL
Flying Site Details
0.00 miles 531 15 ALBERT BURMAN
Email Contact Phone: 541.880.3086
Visit Website
YANKEE AIR AERONAUTICAL INST. CORP
Flying Site Details
0.00 miles 4447 27 KEITH STONE
Email Contact Phone: 541.882.1727
Visit Website

You can go to the AMA website and find more.

Join a club.

The plane you save will be your own.

You'll avoid a lot of expense and frustration and get started in a manner that will help assure your enjoyment and success.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I'll ditto what's aready been said. I did teach myself to fly because I just didn't know there were any clubs around and I didn't learn about RCU until I had already been flying for a while. Now I teach people to fly so I can save them a lot of the agravation and money that I wasted in the process. The closest club to me is an hour away and if I had known about it when I started, the fuel I would have spent driving to the club would have been a fraction of the money I spent crashing, repairing, and buying new planes! If you really have no choice, it is not impossible to learn on your own, but get ready for frustration and set backs. If there is a club within an hour or two of you, it will be well worth your time to go there. At the very least, you definitely need to start with a high wing trainer and find someone with some experience to help you.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
nitrosteve22

Well all be darned! Looks like I have a couple local clubs after all! Really didnt think so in this little town... Seems I have bit off a bit more than I could chew but found out without crashing anything so thats a plus. All these years in RC's and I dont know didly squat about planes. Wednesday I'll make some phone calls and make some new friends!

Thanks again everybody. RCU to the rescue .
Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes welcome to rc aircraft the nexstar is a good choice , any high wing semi wing has forgivness and is a very stable and good plane to train on   good luck  and enjoy that is what it is all about , maybe you will find a place with a couple of friends around makes it even better
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

The HK foam plane is a good, durable trainer, being it's a knock-off of the Multiplex Easy Star:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/index/mp...FWaFQAodGmjb8w

Be advised that HK has mixed reviews here and on other sites, poor/slow warranty response, slow delivery, etc.  Not slamming them, their prices are very attractive, just beware. If you have a hobby shop nearby, check their trainers out. Welcome to slabs (planes)!! 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

OMG, another newbie with a warbird. I see....... Myself. My second plane was a P51D Mustang, when I sold her I've flown her....0 times.
We all do the same mistake, cars are different, u drive one you drive em all.
Every plane has different flying techniques and war birds are the most difficult ones.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM
OliverJacob

...on a nice weekend just visit some of the nearby clubs, talk to the folks and decide which one you like to join.
I am sure you'll find someone with a trainer plane for sale at one of the places.
You will find some great people and have lots of fun, learn to fly fast on the buddy box and save a lot of money, because you won't crash (as much).
There is no reason not to get into a club if they are in a reasonable distance.
The easiest planes to fly are high wing trainers, nitro or electric is your choice. There are some gas trainers, they are bigger and easier to see, but more expensive.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 AM
nitrosteve22

Good lord are they really that hard to fly? Sounds like this will be lots of fun! Seems these clubs are mostly older folk,not sure how they'll take to a young'in (I'll be 29 in july). Small towns are like that,maybe I should buy another plane and learn on my own. The hobby shop and a plane flying customer weren't to kind to questions,or helpful with answers.... Gonna try some emails to get my foot in the door. Not giving up! Learning to fly....
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 AM
lopflyers

Oh yes they will. Those older folks love to see new blood.
In one of my clubs 18 and younger fly free. That's how bad they want younger people. Just go to visit and talk to the people[8D]
Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Sherv

Yea people in RC Airplane clubs are the nicest people I've met... Way nicer than the car crowds... Theres almost no competition between them, its all about helping each other out and enjoying the flight.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 AM
jetmech05

I am 55, I don't see young and old at the field...I see a fellow pilot, some of my friends are older 70 something, some are younger 20 something...
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 AM
dmbaerry

When I learned to fly many years ago I was 16 years old and the "Older" pilots where great.. In fact my instructor was know as Uncle Harry...
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The cold response you got at the hobby shop is common for new guys to the hobby just because this is a hobby that draws lots of introverts. Sometimes we pilots just want to enjoy the hobby without having to invest in someone else. Not to say that's the right attitude, but it is reality. That said, if you show up to a club field and seem to have done your homework and are considerate of others' time in asking for help, I think you'll find that most pilots are fairly generous in helping you get started. Many clubs have a specified training day which lets you be a little more needy without worrying about bothering someone.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 AM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a couple of days ago I stopped at a field where I saw a club flying, and asked a few questions, and got more good answers than in a week of forum browsing. Ithink once they realize you're not going to get in the way and you're not going to ask "can I fly your plane?" (<grin>), they're more than happy to show off their stuff and answer your questions.

I've been flying one of those little light foam-and-plastic "Champ" models, as well as a couple of much larger (2M) sailplanes, and having seen some larger (3-4 pound) high wing trainers close up makes me think Imight be ready to try that - with close supervision, of course.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosteve22

Seems these clubs are mostly older folk,not sure how they'll take to a young'in (I'll be 29 in july).

If you approach people with a built in age prejudice and an attitude folks are likely to respond in kind. That would be your mistake. These folks are inundated with people showing up with preconceived attitudes many times outright arrogance. You use common sense an you will be welcomed with open arms, thats a fact.

These folks are likely going to be the key to your success and suggesting they do not want young people is completely wrong. Meet my newest student Anthony five years old. He is going to be an excellent pilot and learning quickly but doing it the right way and doing his climb up the airmanship ladder one rung at a time.

No he is not a relative of mine but he and his dad are just walk ins and very welcome new members. Anthonys membership in the local club and the AMA are free based upon his age.

He is even going to be competing in our clubs Senior Kaydet pylon race in july and will include buddy chord teams of instructor/students.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72771.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1769370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98617.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1769371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12432.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1769372  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

wow i remember when i first learned to fly sig cadet with a os 40 all balsa  was a 3 channel but the man who trained me said add airelons , so i started with 4 channel and when i went to my sweet stick sweet and low had no problems everyone i train i recommend starting out with 4 channel  gets you all the basics right off the get go   any way  all will welcome you at the flying field  they are happy to see younger people entering  and we all have been where you are right now  have fun and enjoy   , you will espically enjoy the fellowship
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Chucksolo69

A lot of great advice here. As a beginner myself I can honestly say that the advice about a simulator isspot on.I bought an airplane about 2 months ago, but didn't fly it until I had quite a few hours on my Real Flight 6 simulator, about 60 or so hours. The airplane I bought is a Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos; this is a fantastic plane to learn on. So far, in the month or so that I have been flying it, I have only had one non serious crash, and that was on the maiden flight. Since then I have taken her up 20 times or more with no crashes and have made great landings using the tricycle landing gear. I also bought a Hobbyzone Champ to fly and that has been a great training aide too. I have had absolutely no crashes with the Champ and she still looks brand new after 20+ flights as well. Really though, I attribute my success to the planes I bought and especially the simulator. One benefit of flying RC planes is that since I started I have made many new friends, a lot of them seasoned pilots with a minimum of10+ years flying RC. They too have taught mea lot. I'm learning that in this hobby, age makes no difference.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36731.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1769389  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.