Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

I tell them what I think...then I tell them that if they insist on doing this or that they are indeed on their own. Then I walk away
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
GaryHarris

Let em crash! I hate crowded flight lines. [X(]
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
mikeh251

Im self taught also. It was hard though. I actually gave up back in the late 80's and took it up again few years ago with the Sim. That made the difference. I found a club now and belong to ama. Fortunately, my club has only 7 members and I have only ever seen 2 of them. I fly 5 times a week and haven't lost a plane since. I have visited busy clubs and think they suck. How could someone learn to fly around 20 guys waiting around to fly and find out you have to pass all these tests and rules and all that sort of stuff. Pretty intimidating I would think!!! No wonder people go find a place where they can privately make some learning mistakes and figure it out on thier own. Most of us are grown men with self pride and don't want to prove anything to anybody, just want to fly this here model airplane that interests them. The thing is though, you need alot more room than I thought you would. I joined my club and this good ol boy met me there to get my ama info and collect the fee. He asked if I needed help and I fired up 2 new planes that I built and maidened them and trimmed them out right in front of him so he would trust me with the place. All went well and he stopped by and give me a key for the mowers. Hes cool and I hang with him at times, but I don't have to. I have been to clubs where nobody will give you any info about how to join or anything. They make you feel like you are not welcome. In my entire 51 years, I have been wanted everywhere I go and have always been the popular guy that everyone wanted to run with. Not in this hobby. Lots of rude and strange people. Not all, but many. I have had bad experiences here on this website also where guys are saying real childish crude stuff about my questions and responding with attacks on my character about how i couldn't possibly have children and that I don't know where the sticky part of a diaper is and stuff. I don't even understand what these weirdos are trying to say, I guess its a joke at my expense but I don't evenget the punchlines. When I was in middle school, I didn't have any problems, so I guess I just not informed on these matters?

This is a strange thread with long answers, but here is my short response to OP: If you assume that a mans plans are flawed because they don't match yours, teaching might not be something that will satisfy you for long. On the other hand though, that surely doesn't mean that you aren't right!!!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
zacko

I agree with you chuck, as long as people are being safe, let them teach them selves.
I had a bad experience the local club here too. The RC field here is not owned by the club and is open to everyone. My first plane was a 60 sized trainer given to me by my grandfather. I didn't know anyone who flew and didn't even know there was a local club. After some simulator time I madened in a large field, it was ugly but successful. I heard about the field and decided to head out there to check it out. Nobody was there and before I could get fuel in the plane a car pulls up and these two dicks get out and ask me 20 questions. I felt like I was being interagated for something. I know I wasn't welcome there until I joined their elite club so I loaded up and went home. I will never go back and found a better place to fly.
I know not every club is like this but these guys are real *******s and put a bad taste in my mouth for " flying clubs ". Since then I've had many planes and helis and haven't had any help
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had one new pilot in our club that bought a pre-built Something Extra. It was set up and had been flown by the original owner.

The buyer, a fairly new pilot, fueled up and put it up in the air. It wasn't long before he yelled for help. So, I went over and offered help in fying the thing. I told him to put it really high up so I could take the transmitter from him and fly it.

Well, he did that, and I took control. Wow.. what a handful. It was set up for 3D and I wasn't ready for that.

I flew it around, way up high as I adjusted the trim for what would be called straight and level flight, then I carefully lined it up and landed it. Wphew.

Well, I check the thing out and switched the controls to low level dual rate. Even at that level, it looked way to much for an intermediate flyer, let alone a beginner. So, I told him to reset his linkage to lower level handling,

He did that, and I checked it out. It was, I thought, ok, and flew it. It was fine. So, I landed the plane and handed the transmitter back to him.

Well, he was so nervous about how it handled, it was a really nice plane and I can't blame him for being apprehensive, so I took over and put it up for him. I told him to fly it very high... the usual 3 mistakes high, and fly slow orbits, right then left, then figure eights, all until he got the feel of the plane.

I then took the transmitter from him and showed him what a normal landing would look like, put it back up, and gave him the transmitter back and told him to do several high-level approaches, then, subsequently lower altitudes, until he was ready to land it. He did just fine. But, when all was done, he said he was probably at the most stressful level of his life. Wow.. he was older than me!!

The good news is that he managed to do very well. The bad news is that he crashed that nice Something Extra a few weeks llater. He was the sort that bought already built plaes, so he had one or two in his car that he was ready to fly.... my problem was if they were really ready for him!!!

CGr.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: mikeh251

find out you have to pass all these tests and rules and all that sort of stuff. Pretty intimidating I would think!!!
yes it can be very intimidating, as in an earlier post, someone said different fields have rules due to their surroundings, we have five fields here, 3 are run by clubs, one is open to anyone, an one is super secret hush hush, many pilots belong to all or a couple, but still, they all have different rules for good reasons, one club has no instructor but some of the guys will help, but it's not the best instruction and they turn you loose as soon as they can, but their out in the middle of nowhere and don't have boundaries, our field is in the middle of town along the river and owned by the city who in turn has placed "rules" on us, including a "fly zone" and more than once I've heard "The other fields don't make us do that" most rules I would say are to keep the field and not control issues as many think. doesn't take much to get a field shut down
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
p51Dpony

Having just read this whole thread and on my 3rd large glass of cabernet sauvignon lets see if I can put my thoughts down:  Most of my flying is on a road at the edge of town, so 'club' or 'outlaw' is a mute point because this topic happens all the time with newbies wherever you are.  People do often have overinflated sense of self combined with no experience and they have fantasies about how well they will fly or even that they set up their machine properly...  Offer help, normal beginners accept it happily.  If they refuse help then it comes down to their machine, if it's big electric or big glow or gas then it can hurt somebody, if you're a club you must have posted that newbies have ama and 'checkout' unless they are known to be competent.  On the non-club fields if someone refuses help then make them wait before firing up so you can clear the field of all the woman and children because there will be blood otherwise, get in the car, shelter, or leave.    Seen plenty of Newbies pile in a trainer in the pits but seen even more 'mild experienced' persons pile in a too-hot ship or heli in the pits or near by so always be on guard!  I find as I get older its easy to get too critical of people, it requires a balance, try to enjoy the show too!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
ballgunner

Been there, done that. I'm 88 and built my first model at age ten. First engine in 1939. Free flight, U-control, Rc in the early 70's. Everything in this post reminds me of some things in the past.
Joined AMA early on. Still believe it almost essential for the preservation of RC. AMA was the organization that got us narrow band RC in 1991. As to clubs I have never been in an area where a
club wasn't necessary to obtain a flying site. We welcome all newcomers and will instruct anyone who brings a safe model to the field. Those who will not accept instruction or obey the safety rules
because they know it all already are shown the gate. Instucting is a rewarding but also a thankless job. No instructor should be asked to put up with a know it all.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Link119

Ok, the ditch i have been flying in is pretty decent in size.
I really just plan to stick to parkflyers and anything that can fly in a small place. Should i still get an AMA membership. I dont see any real benefits for me. Also, I dont plan on joining a club just because i dont fly that much that paying any dues are really worth it.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jester, at the risk of sounding rude, I have found that sometimes you have no option but to be blunt with some people ..... the sort that hound for answers and then don't listen to the advice they receive, they generally fit into that rule.
IMO, if they leave the hobby, so be it, keeps it more enjoyable for the rest of us who put the time and energy into getting the most out of this hobby.
In this hobby, we use fast moving and potentially dangerous models that need to be treated with respect. It only takes one fool to ruin it for all of us, and near or around me, I do not suffer fools.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have safety officers at our club and even if you are a member they check your plane to assure all is safe to fly , if they dont knoiw you , they are going to ask you questions and wheither the field is owned by the club or not they still require AMA insurance , if they approached you arrogrant then they were wrong but if they were asking you ligitimate questions it was their right , all clubs have laws and rules that must be followed and our club enforces all our rules , just because the field does not belong to the club it is a chartered AMA field and their rules apply regardless wheither others like it or not !!!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Come on guys, do you go the church and start yelling? Do you stop at busy intersections? Are you late for work? Do you cheat on your wife? 
In this life there are rules for everything. Some we like some we don't. But they are necessary for keeping the order. Otherwise it would be an anarchy.
Whoever doesn't want to follow rules should go to a deserted island and live alone.
Even if you fly in the woods or on an empty highway as soon as someone else shows up to fly both of you should decide on a pattern and yell landing or risk hitting each other. THOSE ARE RULES.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Link119

I really just plan to stick to parkflyers and anything that can fly in a small place. Should i still get an AMA membership. I dont see any real benefits for me. Also, I dont plan on joining a club just because i dont fly that much that paying any dues are really worth it.
If money is an issue (and it sounds like it is for you) joining the AMA just to have insurance coverage is not always necessary. In this day of litagation with everyone suing people at the drop of a hat, insurance is certainly a good idea. Talk with your parents about this.......their home owners insurance policy probably covers any liability concerns generated by your flying activities.

It sounds like you are having fun with the hobby! I wish you continued success!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: R/C Art

If money is an issue (and it sounds like it is for you) joining the AMA just to have insurance coverage is not always necessary. In this day of litagation with everyone suing people at the drop of a hat, insurance is certainly a good idea. Talk with your parents about this.......their home owners insurance policy probably covers any liability concerns generated by your flying activities.

It sounds like you are having fun with the hobby! I wish you continued success!
AMA does not offer primary insurance. AMA insurance ONLY kicks in IF HOMEOWNERS insurance does not cover the incedent. In my case I'm covered by USAA, they will cover any modeling related mishap, I won't even have to file an AMA claim.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel like my case for being self-taught is different than most others because im sure that they can pay for the clubs and that it must be easier to access the fields for them.
That is exactly the problem with the most destructive guys. Somehow, there's a good reason why they shouldn't do the hobby the right way even though everybody else should. 99% of the time, as is the case you've laid out, it's because they don't want to invest the money in a club or AMA dues. That said, if your ditch is far enough away from other people's property that even a flyaway radio failure couldn't possibly cause property damage, then have at it. After all, you're flying a plane that doesn't go 20 mph. But when you decide to step up into bigger planes with more performance, you'll need a proper flying site and some instruction, and that will require AMA membership.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikeh251

Most of us are grown men with self pride and don't want to prove anything to anybody, just want to fly this here model airplane that interests them.
See I'm the opposite. I considered it an honor when I soloed at my club because it meant I had proven myself. There are lots of outstanding pilots there with varying levels of social graces, and I wanted to be a part of that group. The renegade attitude simply has no place in this hobby. I say do it safely and do it right, or don't do it at all.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM
levram1

RULES? LOLYou need to read the book, "The Death of Common Sense" by Philip K. Howard.
ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Come on guys, do you go the church and start yelling? Do you stop at busy intersections? Are you late for work? Do you cheat on your wife?
In this life there are rules for everything. Some we like some we don't. But they are necessary for keeping the order. Otherwise it would be an anarchy.
Whoever doesn't want to follow rules should go to a deserted island and live alone.
Even if you fly in the woods or on an empty highway as soon as someone else shows up to fly both of you should decide on a pattern and yell landing or risk hitting each other. THOSE ARE RULES.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Somehow, there's a good reason why they shouldn't do the hobby the right way "

I do think that you made a desperately negative comment, there, jester.

I expect that you'll be taken to task over it.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You joined April of last year and have no history besides this one post. It appears your experience is limited to surface vehicles only and now you are a proficient fixed wing pilot with instructor rating. I've seen these self taught pilots and most are a disaster waiting to happen. Why don't you take yourself over to another site and leave the professional alone.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Link119

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I feel like my case for being self-taught is different than most others because im sure that they can pay for the clubs and that it must be easier to access the fields for them.
That is exactly the problem with the most destructive guys. Somehow, there's a good reason why they shouldn't do the hobby the right way even though everybody else should. 99% of the time, as is the case you've laid out, it's because they don't want to invest the money in a club or AMA dues. That said, if your ditch is far enough away from other people's property that even a flyaway radio failure couldn't possibly cause property damage, then have at it. After all, you're flying a plane that doesn't go 20 mph. But when you decide to step up into bigger planes with more performance, you'll need a proper flying site and some instruction, and that will require AMA membership.
Actually i plan to step down to smaller and more agile planes, im not into big planes because they mean more spending...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
rgm762

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

''Somehow, there's a good reason why they shouldn't do the hobby the right way ''

I do think that you made a desperately negative comment, there, jester.

I expect that you'll be taken to task over it.
bogbeagle: go back to post 70, these are the people that jester is talking about, they always have a "reason" for needing to learn by themselves, which is fine, but then they show up at the field asking for help and not wanting to hear what their told. or go to the clubhouse threads, there a several "club vs outlaw" threads and read all the different reasons people come up with for not being part of a club, rarely will you read, I just don't want to be part of a club, clubs are just not my thing, they all have their "reasons". "outlaws" should not bash clubs and vice versa, the two don't mix well and need to stay seperate
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM
bogbeagle

Fair enough. Let's not bash each other, 'cos we each have the perfect right to pursue our hobby in the way that suits us best, as individuals. Make your choice and accept the consequences.

Anyway, I prefer the term "guerilla" to "outlaw". It's less laden with moral rectitude. I'm not above a bit of "guerilla flying" myself.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 AM
rgm762

bogbeagle, i apolgize if it seemed like I was bashing you, I was pointing out what jester and many intructors are up against. and i totaly agree. each person is in this hobby for their own (wait for it) "reasons" and as long as long their reasons doesn't affect how others enjoy it, "let em be"
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
levram1

Didn't the Beatles record a song, "Let it Be"?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
bogbeagle

I apologise for the fact that you felt it necessary to apologise to me!

I lifted the term "bash" from your earlier post .."outlaws" should not bash clubs and vice versa" ... and was agreeing with you that the various groups are not best served by conflict.

The written medium is fraught with misunderstandings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.