Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 It`s alive Hobbico 40 , 40 LA. >

It`s alive Hobbico 40 , 40 LA.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

It`s alive Hobbico 40 , 40 LA.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It`s alive Hobbico 40 , 40 LA.

Ok, were moving now. On the roll.
I an used to Helie`s and am setting the carb so she is still at idle till I pinch the fuel Line ? The book say`s just run her on the trim at idle ?
Do I want or have to make all needle valve adjustments at full throttle ?
Go easy , I still have all my did gets.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Default RE: It`s alive Hobbico 40 , 40 LA.

G'day

Your LA 40 has an air bleed carby. Run it up to full throttle, then tune it with the needle until the revs peak. Then bring it down to idle and use the air bleed to try to improve the idle by screwing the air bleed screw in to richen the mixture and out to lean it. (This is the opposite of the needle valve.) Then go back to full throttle and screw the needle out about 1/4 turn to richen the mixture a little.

The default setting for the air bleed is to have the screw half cover the air bleed hole in the front of the carby. This is usually slightly rich.

Is this engine run in? It may not like doing peak revs yet if it is not. Also, it is an ABN engine with a pinch at the top of its bore. It should be run in lightly loaded (one size smaller prop than you intend to fly with) and slightly rich. They do not need a lot of running in but they do need some.

And, as it is a plain bearing engine, it will last longer with some castor oil in its fuel. I would use at least 5% out of a total of 20% oil and when new as much as 20% all castor.

The LA series of engines are well made and very reliable. They are simple and work well. They are not as powerful as other similar size engines but are more than enough for your trainer. They also survive crashes better than most. A friend is using an LA 46 in his Sig LT-40 and loves it. It was quite difficult to start when it was new but once it had a couple of tanks of fuel through it and then a couple of flights, it really improved and is now a great engine for the trainer.

Have fun.

Cheers.

Mike from Oz.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Thank`s mate, this bit@h is screaming !!! Scared to get near it at WOT !
To scarey for my liking.
Yes, she has about 20 flights on her.
Just gotta get the bollocks and strap the wings on her, but once I do I`m gonna try solo........Can`t do it...well I know I can, but it kinda defeats the purpose of joining the club, right?
I`ll let them do the shake down on it.After I see her fly I KNOW I CAN DO IT .
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What prop are you running on the LA-40? I've found a 10X6 the best prop for the FP/LA 40. They are not high RPM engines, but that also helps with their longevity if treated properly.

Hogflyer
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM

10 x 6 ..and at WOT this thing scares the Heck outta me ! Didn't know they rev that high? I make sure I still got pleaney of smoke.
I think I have to lean her out cause at idle it sounds like a 4 stroke, till I put the hammer down....and look out.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: reelquick

Thank`s mate, this bit@h is screaming !!! Scared to get near it at WOT !
To scarey for my liking.
LOL! Good to give them respect - they bite quickly and fiercely - but If an 40LA spooks you it may be hard to find ANYTHINGyou'll be more comfortable around.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Funny you say that, over dinner tonight, the bride was asking whats that oily smell ?
I told her about my breaking in procedure with the plane.
She asked ...How is it that you can auto rotate a Robinson R-22 at 2500 feet (Have video) and your having so many problems with a toy ?
I said, I joined a club and a web sight.
She said...maybe you schould just stick with helicopters.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: reelquick
She asked ...How is it that you can auto rotate a Robinson R-22 at 2500 feet (Have video) and your having so many problems with a toy ?
You probably use more than your thumbs to fly the Robinson . . . and NEVER from outside facing back at it. ;-)

Whole different kettle of fish.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Reelquick Just for the record: the task of teaching a full scale pilot to fly RC is a far more difficult task than teaching an RC pilot to fly full scale aircraft and thats a fact. Now I wonder why that is?

I say that having come from a long history (since the sixties) of teaching full scale both fixed and rotor wing as well as more recently RC.

John

Indeed different Kettle
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM

I`ll keep at it, I`m gonna get this thing down. Love the site and all you guy`s have a boat load of knowledge.