Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

engine/wing question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine/wing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
hobbyenthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine/wing question

Question 1
This engine (OS .46 AX) was never fully broken-in and sat for close to four years with after run oil in it. It still has good compression, but oil is leaking out between the drive washer and crankcase. Can I just continue with break-in where I left off and is it possible an internal washer is bad?

Question 2
I was in a rush to start flying four or five years ago (never did) and assembled the wing uneven as seen in the picture. The fin also looks like it is slightly warped to the left in the second picture. Should I assemble a new wing and replace the fin?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25231.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1788173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88143.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1788174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51644.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1788175  
Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine/wing question

Ax will be fine just run it slightly rich and go fly it. With a trainer it will be at half throttle most of the time.

Neither the wing or the fin should make a significant difference, the aileron trim will take care of the slight misalignment and providing the rudder does not bind, operate the rudder and listen to the servo noise. If it is slow one direction or hums or ticks then you should ask an experienced modeller to give it the one over.

I have taught a number of people to fly on planes in MUCH worse states and that was before the crashes and repairs.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
SeamusG

First of all, the fuse is just along for the ride. How it flies is based on the horizontal stabilizer (stab) being parallel with the wing and the vertical stabilizer (fin) is 90 degrees to them both.

With the stab and fin already glued in place you can accept the out of whacked-ness and just trim for it (like JD suggested) or you can correct it by repositioning the fin so that it is 90 degrees to the stab. Leave it for now. You can answer this question after you've flown it for a while.

How about the wing? Are the wing and stab parallel? Put the plane on a table / bench high enough so that you can step back across the room and easily sight the leading edge (LE) of the wing and the LE of the stab. Are the tips of the stab equally above or below the wing? If not, you can add a shim between the wing and the wing saddle on the low wing side to bring them (stab & wing) into alignment. Parallel? Cool, finish off the shim.

Then, go fly with you local instructor ...

BTW - I'm a student of Dean Pappas (Trimming from the Ground Up - vol 1, 2 and 3 - pdf files easily downloaded) and believe that the newbie (or any flier) doesn't have to jump thru hoops to deal with the idiosyncracies of a particular plane when ya don't have to ...

Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

HE just flush out the engine with fresh fuel by removing the plug and dripping fuel in through the carburator and spin a bit with the starter.

As far as the airplane goes that rather interesting bow in the fin while remaining vertical is a complete non issue, Heck I think it gives the airplane a little character.

The mismatch in the wing root as the others have noted is also of not much concern. Just finish her up and as SeamusG suggested "go fly with your local instructor"

John
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine, no trouble. I have bought planes at auction just for the engine or servos that had there control surfaces all out of whack. A bit of trim and in the air you couldn't tell. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 AM
Mr67Stang

Bend the virtical stab a little past straight. Wrinkles will form on the side you are bending it towards. Use a heat gun to shrink the wrinkles out. Check alignment again. Repeat until fin is straight.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As everyone else has said, it will fly fine as is, but if you are bugged by the gap where the wing halves are joined please do the following....fill the gap with epoxie and cover it! Run a strip of masking tape across the bottom of the wing at the joint, then with the wing right side up fill the gap (several applications may be needed) untill it is flush and smooth on the top, and then cover the joint with a 1" strip of matching covering or tape. The epoxie will improve the strength of the joint and the covering will improve the looks. Your "woops" will be gone. Mr67stang told you how to fix the vertical stab. Your plane looks like a Tower Hobby 40 trainer. That's a good flying trainer....enjoy!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM
klord125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running an OS FP .25 right now with a little leakage around the front hubwith no problems at all. The only thing that looks a little questionable is the wing where its joined? Did you put on the fiberglass strip when you joined the two halves? If it has the plywood diehedral brace you should be OK but if its butt glued together I would put the fiberglass strip on. Just my .02 cents