Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pre-Maiden Jitters

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pre-Maiden Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pre-Maiden Jitters

I understand, jetmech05. I believe I stated that it would not work with all personalities.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Jacobs Jasta 7

ORIGINAL: countilaw

The best way to get rid of the maiden flight jitters is to learn to fly, and learn to fly correctly. Too many new pilots get planes that are above their ability to fly. I see too many new comers buying mustangs, P-40s, and the like thinking they can fly them.

It's best to start with a trainer and getting good with it. Then moving to a more intermediat plane and getting good with it. Once you are good at the controls and you have cofidence in your ability, the jitters go away. You then experience ''excitment''.

Frank

I agree to a point Frank, everyones learning curve is different, and it's not up to anyone to say if he or she is ready to handle whatever plane IMO. I've seen newbies on a warbird the second year in, and not crash it. I've been flying about 10 years and I still get the jitters at times. Also I fly scale and some of my planes have taken a year to build.

Also every first flight of every Spring my hands start to sweat a little. So to the OP I say you are right where your supposed to be and it is OK. I read somewhere someone older with a heart condition got a heart attack flying his RC airplane for the first time. He started feeling pains in his chest, managed to land the plane safely then dropped dead. It's rare, I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on your airplane and watch what it does. Practice keeping your wings level and practice keeping your turns smooth. Remember to be nice and easy with your control movements (keep it smooth and gental). If it seems too much, just yell and have someone take over that has more experience. Another thing you can do is teather up with a instructor just in case.

Me if I get stage fright at a big event, I just try to picture everyone naked.

Pete
Okay im only 15 but this has me concerned...i can DIE from being too nervous!?!?!?!?!?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Live Wire

Take 2 asperin and logg in, in the morning. I will send you my bill
I forgot , I shake all the time at my age, every time I fly for the first flight of the day. Then I get out my plane's.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Jacobs Jasta 7

ORIGINAL: Microz

The best way to get rid of the maiden flight jitters is to learn to fly, and learn to fly correctly. Too many new pilots get planes that are above their ability to fly. I see too many new comers buying mustangs, P-40s, and the like thinking they can fly them.

It's best to start with a trainer and getting good with it. Then moving to a more intermediat plane and getting good with it. Once you are good at the controls and you have cofidence in your ability, the jitters go away. You then experience ''excitment''.

Frank

I agree to a point Frank, everyones learning curve is different, and it's not up to anyone to say if he or she is ready to handle whatever plane IMO. I've seen newbies on a warbird the second year in, and not crash it. I've been flying about 10 years and I still get the jitters at times. Also I fly scale and some of my planes have taken a year to build.

Also every first flight of every Spring my hands start to sweat a little. So to the OP I say you are right where your supposed to be and it is OK. I read somewhere someone older with a heart condition got a heart attack flying his RC airplane for the first time. He started feeling pains in his chest, managed to land the plane safely then dropped dead. It's rare, I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on your airplane and watch what it does. Practice keeping your wings level and practice keeping your turns smooth. Remember to be nice and easy with your control movements (keep it smooth and gental). If it seems too much, just yell and have someone take over that has more experience. Another thing you can do is teather up with a instructor just in case.

Pete
Okay im only 15 but this has me concerned...i can DIE from being too nervous!?!?!?!?!?

LOL! You will be fine, it just takes time.

You see, if I were to think about all the time and money I spent on the plane I'm flying, I would always be too nervous. I try and put all those things out of my mind because if I didn't, all my planes would be "hanger queens" and I'd have nothing to fly. Then I would be pestered by the fact I had perfectly good planes to fly, and I would crave going out to the field with them. So I guess I have a inner struggle going on and I'd rather I'd fly my works of art.

Unfortunately all planes have a expiration date and it's a matter of when and not if we crash. But we build up our flying skills so that expiration date is postponed.

Because I fly modified ARF scale warbirds only, I get invited to fly at many events. It's one thing to be nervous before a maiden flight, or first flight of the season. But when I flew for the first time at a large event with 200+ people watching my plane, I finally got to know what being nervous was really like. I felt my heart pounding in my chest, my hands started to sweat, my knees started to knock and become weak and I had a lump in my throat. And once the flight was over and I landed safely, that's when my hands started to shake.

Please believe me when I write that the more you get used to your airplane, and know how it handles, the less you will be nervous and will start enjoying the freedom of flight much more.

Pete

Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Jitters... they never go away.. as you get experience they just present themselves differently.

I'm coming to close on a 8 mos. WW1 1/6 scale bipe build. Lots of time invested so I'll be anxious more than nervose... My jitters over time have turned to a ''bring it' attitude..... a sort of turning nervous energy into positive excitement.... I can't wait to see her sitting on the runway.... the 4 stroke ticking over like a clock... .advancing the throttle... the tail coming up.... is there anything better !! See a positive outcome.. see a positive experience in your head....having confidence is more than half the battle.
Kit Builder, what WWI plane areyou talking about? I'm about to start a BUSA 1/6 Sopwith Pup with a Magnum 52FS........is that what you have?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Microz

Frank

Pete

LOL! You will be fine, it just takes time.

You see, if I were to think about all the time and money I spent on the plane I'm flying, I would always be too nervous. I try and put all those things out of my mind because if I didn't, all my planes would be "hanger queens" and I'd have nothing to fly. Then I would be pestered by the fact I had perfectly good planes to fly, and I would crave going out to the field with them. So I guess I have a inner struggle going on and I'd rather I'd fly my works of art.

Unfortunately all planes have a expiration date and it's a matter of when and not if we crash. But we build up our flying skills so that expiration date is postponed.

Because I fly modified ARF scale warbirds only, I get invited to fly at many events. It's one thing to be nervous before a maiden flight, or first flight of the season. But when I flew for the first time at a large event with 200+ people watching my plane, I finally got to know what being nervous was really like. I felt my heart pounding in my chest, my hands started to sweat, my knees started to knock and become weak and I had a lump in my throat. And once the flight was over and I landed safely, that's when my hands started to shake.

Please believe me when I write that the more you get used to your airplane, and know how it handles, the less you will be nervous and will start enjoying the freedom of flight much more.

Pete

Whew! Makes me feel better knowing the jitters get better, and that i cant die of nervousness! But that one event you flew at must of been something! Man!!! And im nervous flying in front of 2 people!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Jacobs Jasta 7

Whew! Makes me feel better knowing the jitters get better, and that i cant die of nervousness! But that one event you flew at must of been something! Man!!! And im nervous flying in front of 2 people!
Wait until you go to Rhinebeck Jamboree, Joe Nall, Warbirds Over Delaware or other sponsored events just to name a few. 200+ spectators and pilots showing up is probably the low count on a very bad day. I like small events because I do get nervous in large crowds- plus I don't like my planes sitting in the sun for a hour on the flightline waiting for a chance to fly.

Besides, have you ever seen what the sun can do to light plastic canopies and Ultracote? []

When I maiden a plane, I don't like too many people there at the field either. I'll bring my wife so she can film it, and usually phone ahead to my Club Secretary or Vice and they will usually standby, just incase something goes terribly wrong and I need to go to the hospital real fast.

All seriousness, I witnessed a guy who lost a finger and a good chunk of his hand with the prop and he went into shock and passed out. If it wasn't for a few people being there that knew what to do, I think he would have bled to death. It took us about 10 minutes to find his finger and get it on ice and get to the hospital so they could try to reconstruct the hand. Those are the kind of things you don't forget.

So it's advisable that if you fly glow or gas to always have someone around, and if you don't- please be extra careful. I just read a article in MA how electric planes can also mess up someones day as well. I guess it's best to have a arming switch on the plane and a rubber band to keep the throttle down on the TX.

Sorry I got off a little on the topic, It's one of my character defects.

Pete
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete
I find the best cure for nervousness is comfort and confidence. Just as you stated, "...the more you get used to your airplane...." is what it is all about. Fly, fly, and then fly some more. I have between 500 and 600 flights on a 40 size Pulse XT with a 55AX and I do things with that plane that get comments and the only reason is that I have flown it so much I know just about everything and anything the plane is capable of.

Another thing that flying a plane a lot does for you is breaks down nervousness flying other planes. I usually take three or four planes to the field with me because I like to change it up some. This has somewhat diversified my skills. If you go from flying a slo-mo a Funtana X100 to flying Rev 59 at high speed you will learn how to adapt to the different styles. Take some time to learn them well.

The other day I was out flying my Funtana and I did a roll and started to dive by accident. It was unusual for me, however I realized that in my mind I was flying the Pulse XT which needs stick input for an inverted flight and yet in reality I was flying the Funtana which rolls without any stick input when inverted. Now that was wild and the first time I ever did anything like that!

The guys at the field are used to my flying style and noticed something was different. They said, "What happened?" I said it was just me and explained to them what I had done. It was worth a laugh or two though. I think each thing we do can be a learning experience. If I had of been nervous I could have lost my Funtana because I was flying pretty low to the ground.

I have only been flying about three years, but I just rarely, if ever, get nervous or the jitters.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Microz

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Why not start out with something more suitable for a beginner ...?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I used to have the shakes when I flew my 4*120, but not anymore. I had several flights last night, and not a shake, wiggle or jiggle.  It comes with experience and comfort in your equipment and plane. 
Just remember, the bigger the plane is, the more likely you will find it being further away from you than it really is.  Ask me how I know![:-]
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

they go away with time, not sure for me if it was experience or just finally excepting the fact that we all crash eventually. My thumbs used to shake so bad!! Anymore I just tell my self. Fly it like you stole it, and land it like you mean it. If you crash, well, the electronics and engine can be used in another plane (most times), which make a good excuse to the wifey to get a new one.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Flying Fiz

I think everyone gets the jitters from time to time. I know I'm going to be nervous when I fly my first balsa plane ( an Eflite Taylorcraft with 480 motor).

I have only flown foamies to date and can fly them well. I have a couple of Mustangs, a F4F Wildcat, a Carbon Cub, a UM Stryker, a Mig Jet and a Panther jet, etc etc. all great fun and I can fly them real well but I push it and crash occassionally.

Now I know my high wing taylorcraft is going to be a breeze to fly, it will be super stable and not have any bad tendancies, but I built it (lovingly) and it looks beautiful, (I even put a hot blonde female pilot in it)and if I crash it it will be smashed (unlike a pick up the pieces and glue and fly foamies) SO I KNOW I WILL BE LIKE A NEWBIE - ALL NEVOUSAGAIN.

And BTW I intend to maiden it this weekend (subject to wind dying down a bit).

I will do a video of the maidenand post on here.

best,

Phil
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Flying Fiz

here it is
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 PM
mike109

G'day Fiz

If your Taylorcraft is anything like my Decathlon it will not be all that easy to fly. I think it is a relative of the Decathlon and the Auster that I also have. Their layout is certainly similar.

My Decathlon can be very easy to ground loop on take off. Being a tail dragger it suffers from the P effect and wants to go to the left when the power is applied. It needs a very steady hand on the rudder to keep it straight. Once it is running straight and lifts its tail then it needs the power to be added gradually and it just floats into the air. If I apply a lot of power all at once it becomes a real handful and has snapped over and cartwheeled. Luckily it is quite tough as it took me a while to work out how to get it off the ground neatly.

Then once in the air, it will not turn just on ailerons and elevator. It DEMANDS that rudder be used as well or is skids wide in the turn with its tail hanging down. This is typical of high wing planes with little dihedral and long wings. Cubs do it, my Auster does it and so does my Decathlon. All these "short coupled" planes with relatively short fuselages and longs wings tend to do this. The cheat's solution (that I use) is to mix about 30 to 40% aileron into the rudder. I make it switchable as if you leave it on and you try to do a roll, the result is not pretty.

So go slowly with it. A little negative exponential to dumb down the centre part of the rudder travel may help too. And not too much power initially too. Once in the air, don't forget the rudder or you may be all over the sky.

Oh and have fun. I do with my Decathlon.

Mike in Oz
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Flying Fiz

Geez Mike,

Now I'm even more nervous! I really thought it would be easy to fly, way easier than my Mustang and Mig Jet, but thanks for the warning, I'll be on my toes!

I havent tried any mixing yet, I only just started with planes, as the last few years have been flying big CP helis, but I now prefer the planes, less danergous and a much calmer flying experience.

I have a DX8 and so will look at adding some rudder to the ailerons or ailerons to the rudder, and see how I go.

I was also planning on hand launching it as I'm comfortable with that, but one place I fly has a cricket pitch so that may may a good runway if I decide to go that way.

regards,

Phil
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A pilot needs to be honest in assessing their flying skills. Also knowing how the airplane to be flown stacks up to other airplanes that they have flown. New airplanes can have defects that may overwhelm a less experienced pilot, resulting in crashes that could be avoided with greater skills on the sticks. While most new models are realitively tame, a small number have some bad habits due to problems with decalage, warps, balance or unreliable engine/tank setups.

The question should be "How to pick a test pilot that can give me the greatest chance of success?" Because there is a difference between someone with with 20 years of flying experience and someone that has one year of flying experience done 20 times.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Mr67Stang

Did Microz ever maiden his plane?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Iherling

I agree with Jellypopper. When I have a new bird I do two things.
1. Let one of the expert fliers at the club go over it and maiden it
2. Make my first flight with that flier on the buddy box.
Once I have flown a short flight on the buddy box and landed nicely then I am totallyl confident for future flights
This has worked for me............so far