Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need a project for OS.15LA

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need a project for OS.15LA

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a project for OS.15LA

I have a few of these engines and would like to put them in something other than the Combat battle Axes I've been playing around with.... 2 - 2.5 lbs would be about right.. I see a twin for two OS.25's but not much out there for .15's .

Any Arfs, Kits or even plans ????

Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Need a project for OS.15LA

Sig Wonder!! Absolute blast of an airplane to fly. And it's an easy build too!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And it looks just like my last U-Control. Look around for one of the GP P-38 profiles if you have a couple of then. I also used them in gliders and they work great.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Ken's sujestion is excellent another option for relaxed flying might be the Sig Four Star 20.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93217.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1796983  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Popriv

.. I see a twin for two OS.25's but not much out there for .15's .

Hi Popriv your timing is perfect! And what I mean by that there is perhaps very little out there for .15 glow sized twins or more, but there is a vast selection of cool electrics out there just waiting for small glow multi engine conversion

Kit Bashing is definately the way to go and is what you want anywhere from .10 to .35 sized multiengined airplanes. Once you work out your under wing or over wing tub nacelle's a whole new world opens up.

I have done many multi engine kit bashes and even a few scratch build using those sizes. I love my little Waco Troop glider twin with two OS .15FP's (yes there an experimental twin conversion in full scale) And I have my Fokker F7 tri-motor eighty inch span with three OS .10LA's.

Bathtub nacelles either over or under are very simple and quick to do If you like I could post pics of various tubs and how they are built but only if you like since I,ve been scolded for posting to many pics.

John
Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have 4 of them Barry Beach of Mainly Models does a simple Lancaster bomber kit. Mostly blue foam and brown paper. Flies VERY well and an easy build. I know there have been changes in his shop so he may no longer do it.

Fits inside a medium size estate car.

Pic here [link=http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroonline/knews/karticles/k25_baldock/k_north_london.html]CLICKY[/link]
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Wicked Wanda, from RCM plans. I flew mine with an old Enya .15 and thought it was perfect. There's one in my gallery.

I assume you can still order plans from RCM.

Jim
Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Popriv

I have a few of these engines and would like to put them in something other than the Combat battle Axes I've been playing around with.... 2 - 2.5 lbs would be about right.. I see a twin for two OS.25's but not much out there for .15's .

Any Arfs, Kits or even plans ????

Thanks
IMO one of the most overlooked MODELER's projects is with Easy Built Models. www.EASYBUILTMODELS.com

They have a real line of model kits of all sizes. Another item that I will do soon looks to be a super little .12-.20 RC machine or even CL. It is kitted as an electric
kit, howeve I will stick a .12 or.15 as I have several of several brands and it will work for me. I have one just waiting to get done. Beautiful laser cut kit and that is Retro Fit Models in Keege Harbor, MI. www.RetroRC.us.com

Back to Easy Built. These are stick and tissue and in a number of sizes. Several War Birds to 50" span. A MODELER can really enjoy these if he/she doesn't have a number of projects keeping him/her too busy. HA! Of course one has to use the basic structure and overdo it in many areas, but they have so many kits, it's hard to make a choice.

I will try to show this one that I flew in warbird races. I was a tad shy in reinforcement and restructure but it lasted a long time. It finally met a demise because I went out to fly and forgot the 3.5 oz. of lead after I had done a clean-up on the engine and engine compartment, Windy and very tail heavy. OOPS! Almost got it saved but not "almost" enough. 50 ins. w-s, fixed gear, a .28 glow and it ran well with .40-46 powered machines.
Just all depends on what you want to do and how much you enjoy building a model.

I do so love silk, silkspan, and dope. BTW the Aircobra and the P-51 ( forget the 1:1 scale racer's name) both met their end in trying to round a pylon and sharing the same airspace with competition.

Name:	Hf99162.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1797012  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Sig Wonder!! Absolute blast of an airplane to fly. And it's an easy build too!!!!

[img][/img]
Wow EXCELLENT suggestion.... I happen to also have one of these engines laying around looking for an airframe and you hit the nail right on the head.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Do you mind building from a plan? I got two of these from HK

And ordered the plans for this to build over the Winter
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16641/rm253toucan

Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
ratshooter

If you don't mind building have look at this plane. A Bridi Aircriuser. I built one with a stretch wing because I was thinking about making it electric and it still only wieghs 3.5 pounds.I added a little more wood in the wing also. Built per the plans it should weigh about 3 pounds or a little less. Its off the ground in just a few feet and lands like a feather. Mine is powered with an OS FP25 and I fly it at half thottle most of time. I have posted a pic before but I will post it again.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/aircruiser25.html

Name:	Wu60017.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1798053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51420.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1798054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46728.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1798055  
Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a great plans-built model for a .15-size engine:

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...rd=scotch+lass

I've built several over the years.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM
wagspe208
My Feedback: (1)

How "good" do the wonders fly? I was thinking about building one. I always liked how they looked. I'd probably do an electric one, though.
Thanks
Wags