Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

tower hobbies glow engines

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tower hobbies glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
brhinaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tower hobbies glow engines

hello all, just wondering who makes the glow engines for tower hobbies, what is everyones experience with them. i know o.s. is or has usually been the bench mark for glow engines, but they are usually twice as much as everyone elses. ie. ( evolution / tower hobbies / super tigers ) looking for a good replacement to put into my hobbico hobby star .60 trainer and make it much more of an advanced trainer thinking about the .75 sizes ?

thanks again for all the upcoming info, help
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: tower hobbies glow engines

Tower engines are good stuff, if you can find a .75 buy it! You can find them on flea-bay every now and then. My .46 has been bullet proof, it's about ten years old and still runs strong.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:45 PM
jetmech05

OS I believe...I ran one for a few years
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have only used the .91 but I started using the SK sold by Kangke instead of the OS. I do have one of the .80 but haven't used it in a plane yet. The .91s are about $100.00 with a muffler. These are low RPM high torque engines and not something used for racing. They do through a big prop too.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Sourkraut

I can vouch for the reliability of the TH.75....I have had one for 6 years and it is absolutely bullet proof. Would buy another but they are not available anymore I think.

They were made in China in the same factory as GMS, that have now been discontinued....sad as I have a few of them and they have been great also.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

I had a Tower Hobbies .46 and it ran like a champ. Remarkably powerful and it fly my Kaos .40 with authority in its factory state. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. There was some RCM article published some years ago that ranked the engines (the .46 and .61) pretty high on performance and quality. It's what convinced me to give them a go and hadn't regretted my decision ever since.

But like most engines, if you take care of them and tune them right, they will last a long time. Neglect them and it will be a short lived experience. The OS engines seem to handle neglect better with their added quality engineering.

i know my engines and take care of them and that's why they last as long as they do... Hobby money is tight these days, so the extra effort helps stretch my limited dollars..

Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: brhinaz

looking for a good replacement to put into my hobbico hobby star .60 trainer and make it much more of an advanced trainer thinking about the .75 sizes ?

Then without a doubt the engines I would reccomend are either the OS .55AX or the OS .65AX. That .65 is an amazing workhorse and I am using one a cross country floatplane that carries 72 ounces of fuel and it handles that load with authority. It also has demonstrated to me unprecidented reliabilty. There is a very real reason they are more expensive. Also consider there is a reason why tower no longer sells the Tower rebranded chinese engines. You only need to use your imagination. My suspition is the actual manufacturer was the same company that produces the SC brand sold in the UK and the asian market as well as a number of other rebranded engines.

John
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
They are Chinese made!
SK , ASP, Kyosho, SC are all very good engines. All are ABC engines and all produce good power, some in fact are more powerfull than the same size OS engine (ASP/Kyosho.40-.46).

The Kyosho .40 GX turns a 10x6 RAM at around 14000rpm. The SK .40 turns the same prop at 13700rpm using 80/20 fuel and both engines have instant throttle respons and are very reliable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44418.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1816439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24604.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1816440  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They used to be made by different manufacturers during the 70's 80's. I don't know who has the contract now but I would agree it's one of the chicoms and I would say they are decent engines for the price.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

OS I believe...I ran one for a few years
Eh, the Tower Branded engines were made by the same factory that produce the GMS and some of the SuperTigre engines.

These are Chinese engines, I believe the O.S. are Japanese made.

The GMS and Tower engine parts are and were interchangeable.

K&B used to stock parts for the GMS engines that I often used on the Tower engines.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Endemic with most of the cut rate and rebranded engines has always been a lack of consistancy. Thats just another way of saying poor quality control. Some will be fine and many more will not. Reducing quality control standards is simply an easy way to reduce costs. So you pay your money and take your chances.

Since the poster seems to be a relitively new flyer the OS engine makes a lot of sense, these are the people who will benefit most from very consistant and just about the best user friendlyness out there and in particular the AX series.

I could care less about absolute max power and to brhinaz The 65AX will indeed make your sixty sized trainer set up and sing. And you will experiance outstanding reliability.

John
Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
opjose

Too bad the T.H. engines are no longer made.

They were ( and still are if you have one ) reliable and a great value for the money.

They were real stump pullers too.

I can't complain about any quality control issues over a dozen or so engines.

The SuperTigres seem to have taken over the niche at Tower once occupied by the GMS clones.

Can't fault the O.S. engines too, especially for a beginner.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't waste your time shopping for glow engines. Go with OS but remember they sell good and better engines. The LA series are good rated and the FX are the best. Shop on RCuniverse for a NIB model and don't pay the asking price. Glow engines because the cost of fuel is so high are being replaced by gas powerplants. Don't buy a used engine I have been down that road.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Gray Beard

The early Tower engines had a big problem with an intake leak on the carb, it took time but they fixed that. The early OS FX line had a bad problem with the chrome peel of the cylinder, it took less time but OS fixed that problem. The SK engines I use are ringed with a tapered cylinder but as John mentioned, the engines from China can and do have a quality control problem. I had the crank pin break in one SK .91, the engine was new and it only took a week to get it back from the warranty service. I was told by the service rep all the engines from China do suffer a quality problem.
The new AX line of engines from OS can't be beat except for the price. I even like the TT PRO series of engines and when I was using the smaller engines I had great luck with them too.
Someone new to the Hobby should go with OS if they can afford it, you can't beat the quality and service if something does go wrong. Service and quality are worth the money. Those of us that have been in the hobby a while can get away with some problems but for new to the hobby people they should have trouble free equipment, that is OS.
If money is a big problem then there are some good choices offered here.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:31 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Thunder Tiger also makes a great engine at good prices. Ive heard from more than one reliable source that thunder tiger engines are designed by a former OS engineer. Im not claiming that, but after running several of them it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

i have several tower 46 engines and os 46 engines the tower engines will run circles around os engines, but os engines are much easier to run and tune. also have several 55 ax motors which are nice easy to tune runners, but my webra speed 50 and 55 gt's will blow the os 55s away. if you are a newbie, get an os engine for ease of use
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

The previous Tower Hobbies engines were made by MECOA right here in the good ole USA. The company is Model Engine Company of America there in California and they had the contract to make the TH engines for Tower Hobbies. Also the TH engine has a striking resemblence to the GMS engines but it is a known fact that MECOA made the Tower Hobbies engine for Tower Hobbies.

See MECOA makes and has rights to make K&B, RJL, HB, HP, Fuji, GMS, and MECOA 40 and use to make 60 size engines and various of other "older style" engines simular to the old style ignition engines. Randy Linsalto (I hope I spelled his name right sorry if I didnt) and his wife Lin own and operate MECOA. From what the web site shows is that MECOA has had to move to another location so maybe perhaps some time soon that they will start production of the TH engines and other engines that they are famous for. I'm not a K&B engine fan but I have had the want to getting me a K&B 60 engine and send it to Clarence Lee for his mod that he does to the 60 engine.

Just for a added tidbit Clanence Lee had a hand in making or creating the K&B engine that was a quickie 40 size engine that as soon as the engine was built the engine was started and had a "RPM Goal" and if that engine didnt meet that minumum rpm the engine was dismanteled and scrapped and another one was built. (Credit to be given to a acticle that I read I believe from a RCM magazine that is no longer in circulation. If it was not RCM then maybe Model Airplane News magazine.)
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: jefflangton Thunder Tiger also makes a great engine at good prices. Ive heard from more than one reliable source that thunder tiger engines are designed by a former OS engineer. I'm not claiming that, but after running several of them it wouldn't surprise me at all.
I remember reading the same from one of the model magazines, possibly Model Aviation. I think they also made the Magnum series. Thunder Tiger is a company in Taiwan. I've got a Magnum .15 and GP-07, and IMO quality is on par with OS. But I agree with the consensus that one is safe to buy OS, even though it costs a touch more. I have a number of OS engines going back to the 1960's. They have always been easy to start, fault tolerant. OTOH, I have a few other makes and models of engines that are cantankerous. OS is a safe bet.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

I've had excellent results and no problems with a Thunder Tiger .35 and a Tower Hobbies .40.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: rglgatortail The previous Tower Hobbies engines were made by MECOA right here in the good ole USA. The company is Model Engine Company of America there in California and they had the contract to make the TH engines for Tower Hobbies. Also the TH engine has a striking resemblence to the GMS engines but it is a known fact that MECOA made the Tower Hobbies engine for Tower Hobbies. [...] Randy Linsalto (I hope I spelled his name right sorry if I didnt) and his wife Lin own and operate MECOA.
It is interesting that you mentioned Randy. I remember some negative comments toward the man some 20 or so years ago. Some experienced modelers, writers for magazines had spoken negatively of him. Then, his engine shop was run out of another business that was totally unrelated to model aircraft. I thought the comments were unfair, there are others out there operating cottage industries, he's not alone. I am glad to see his dream has expanded. (Last statement deleted as untrue; clarified by Hobbico management)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: rglgatortail

The previous Tower Hobbies engines were made by MECOA right here in the good ole USA. The company is Model Engine Company of America there in California and they had the contract to make the TH engines for Tower Hobbies. Also the TH engine has a striking resemblence to the GMS engines but it is a known fact that MECOA made the Tower Hobbies engine for Tower Hobbies.

See MECOA makes and has rights to make K&B, RJL, HB, HP, Fuji, GMS, and MECOA 40 and use to make 60 size engines and various of other ''older style'' engines simular to the old style ignition engines. Randy Linsalto (I hope I spelled his name right sorry if I didnt) and his wife Lin own and operate MECOA. From what the web site shows is that MECOA has had to move to another location so maybe perhaps some time soon that they will start production of the TH engines and other engines that they are famous for. I'm not a K&B engine fan but I have had the want to getting me a K&B 60 engine and send it to Clarence Lee for his mod that he does to the 60 engine.

Just for a added tidbit Clanence Lee had a hand in making or creating the K&B engine that was a quickie 40 size engine that as soon as the engine was built the engine was started and had a ''RPM Goal'' and if that engine didnt meet that minumum rpm the engine was dismanteled and scrapped and another one was built. (Credit to be given to a acticle that I read I believe from a RCM magazine that is no longer in circulation. If it was not RCM then maybe Model Airplane News magazine.)
MECOA never made Tower Hobbies engines, and never made, nor had rights to manufacture GMS engines.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: Bax MECOA never made Tower Hobbies engines, and never made, nor had rights to manufacture GMS engines.
Thanks for the clarification, Bill. Is it appropriate then to ask who manufactured/distributed engines under the Tower label?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I have had only one OS engine and will not have another.  Way overpriced [:@] and overyhyped [:'(] 

When I got my Tower 40s quite some time ago I was told they were made in Italy.  They din't look like any Italian brand but they certainlly ran well and reliable.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I have had only one OS engine and will not have another. Way overpriced [:@] and overyhyped [:'(]

When I got my Tower 40s quite some time ago I was told they were made in Italy. They din't look like any Italian brand but they certainlly ran well and reliable.
Over priced yes. When I was still using the small engines I had more then one. I personally never had a problem with them. When the FX came out I saw a lot of the chrome peel problem but OS made good on all of them, very good service. There can be teething problems with all new products that weren't discovered until after they hit the market, that's when the service of the company comes in. OS made the changes to the chroming procedure as soon as the problem showed itself and the new .46 FX became legend in the racing circle.
The new AX models are outstanding and so easy to tune. But that over priced thing got to me so I gave the SK line of engines a try. There design suites my needs perfectly but like all things, they may not be for everyone. OS is the everymans engine, as long as that man has deep pockets he will have an outstanding product.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Well how about that Bill I for one learned a new something. I do know and I do remember that MECOA did at one time carry GMS engines I remember seeing that web site show GMS engines and had those engines on their "trade in" deal that MECOA had long time ago. So naturally I thought that MECOA made GMS engines as well as TH engines being that Tower Hobbies engines had a very simular appearance to GMS and that the mufflers that GMS engines had also was identical to Tower Hobbies engines so my information was just merely observation and engine comparison with experience on my part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.