Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

EsC

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 PM
millermonsterair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EsC

im looking for an esc. i am getting a parkzone P-51 BL from a friend. it has a 1100kv motor in it and I will be putting a Spektrum AR400 receiver in it. what esc do i need that would be easy on the wallet and easy to set up? I have never done any of this before.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EsC

The ESC must match the motor and prop for a plane of given weight. The combination will draw current from the battery pack and the rate at which the current draw happens will determine what ESC you need. Also, if it's a brushed or brushless motor makes a difference.

Find out the overall weight of the plane and decide how you wish to fly the thing. Look at the top of the Beginners Forum for a "sticky post" titles "Prop Chart and Basic Electric Setup". Within that sticky thread is a post that has "power to weight" and pick a flying style.

Note that this will refer to the maximum power that the ESC/MOTOR/PROP will draw during flight. Power = watts. Watts = Current x Voltage. The voltage is fixed at the number of cells in your LiPo pack and the arrangement (series, parallel, or series parallel). Most beginner packs are series and at 11.1 volts (nominal) per 3 cell pack. So, that's a "constant". The variable is the current draw. If, for instance, your plane will draw 20 amps max then the wattage here is 11.1 X 20= 222 watts.

The power required for various types of flying styles will give you some indication of what you will need for your plane.

You must take the entire weight factor into account, meaning the fuselage, servos, receiver, battery pack, ESC, motor, prop, everything. Get the weight and factor this in to determine what the wattage will be and figure out the current draw and buy the ESC accordingly.

Since you probably don't know what you need, you have to do a little research and do some calculations based on what you find for various combinations. A mail-order web site like Tower Hobbies gives a detail for each component such as dimensions, weight, and so on that you can use in your calculations. It comes down to a pick and choose method for trial and error until you get the combination that will work.

Yes, it can be a PITA but unless you already know some of the info, you have to do the research.

Good luck.

CGr.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 PM
mred33

ORIGINAL: millermonsterair

im looking for an esc. i am getting a parkzone P-51 BL from a friend. it has a 1100kv motor in it and I will be putting a Spektrum AR400 receiver in it. what esc do i need that would be easy on the wallet and easy to set up? I have never done any of this before.

Iam guessing, but are you by any chance a beginner? If so, that is not a good plane to start with. You can check what they call for on the ESCby looking up the Parkzone P-51, but if you are not a pilot, you will not be airborn very long. If you do look up that airplane they will tell you everything you need to kno wabout it. It is easy to fly those planes once you get a little air time and learn how to fly, but that is not a very good plane to learn on.

If you are a beginner, then may Isudjest a trainer before you try flying that P-51? Iknow it is a cool looking plane and Ilove that one, but take my word for it, it is not a beginner plane. If you do know how to fly, then you better take it easy on that plane until you get to know it. Those planes are great fun and a blast to fly, but they can bit you in a hurry too. Take care.........

Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock set-up uses a 3cell lipo = 11.1 volts
The stock set-up uses an 18 amp ESC.

Therefore, you need an 18 amp or greater ESC capable of handling 11.1 volts (3c lipo)
You can get one from Hobbyking in the US for $12. It also has a battery eliminator circuit, allowing you to use one battery to power the motor and the receiver/servos.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44857.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1868368  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM
millermonsterair

Before had gotten this plane, I had plenty of RC flying experience with trainers, 4ch micros. It was time to step up to parkflier sized aircraft. I'm glad I did. Maiden went very well with a 30amp esc, but was a little warm. Since then I have put a 40amp esc. Yeah, um, I wouldn't have even considered parkflier size unless I was cruising my micros inverted less than a foot off the ground and have good control with them. I have gotten a few other parkfliers since then as well. A Dynam A-10 as an EDF trainer, and most recently a RocHobby F-16 that I love. The ground handling is horrible with the F-16 but it hand launches very easy and belly lands well. Thanks for making me feel kind of like I'm incompetent. I'm not...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9rAOFD3MOk