Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

radian pro as second plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

radian pro as second plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM
jetRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radian pro as second plane

Ive been reading reviews on the ParkZone radian pro which my local hobby shop says its the best plane for me, last time i listened to them, for my first plane they suggested a 4 channel parkzone ultra micro T-28 which ended in tradgedy, so later i a bought my self a Hobbyzone super cub dsm which was perfect, im pretty confident with it now, and i want to know if the radian pro will be my best option, i like everything about the pro and its features, all i want to know is if it will go with my sort of experience and should i go with a regular radian RTF instead.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: radian pro as second plane

Either way. The Pro is more flexable with the flaps and ailerons but they both fly really well. If you're looking to get into powered gliders.

What radio do you have?

There's a review of the pro in the magazine section here on RCU
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1326
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll agree with BH with the qualification of "if you want to get into powered gliders." If, however, you simply want to continue building your RC skills, I think there are better planes to do that with. The T-28 is a pretty good one (not the UM, but the regular size) and the E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick is a very nice flyer for learning aerobatics with.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Agreed ^
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Chucksolo69

Yep, got to agree with this recommendation.
ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I'll agree with BH with the qualification of "if you want to get into powered gliders." If, however, you simply want to continue building your RC skills, I think there are better planes to do that with. The T-28 is a pretty good one (not the UM, but the regular size) and the E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick is a very nice flyer for learning aerobatics with.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
jetRC

Thank you for your responce. Is it possible to get a bind n fly model and take out the AR600 which is pre installed, and get your own reciever to bind to a Turnigy 9x, because the dx5e and dx6i are quite expensive in australia let alone the plane itself, so is it possible to get the bind n fly instead of the plug n play because the plug and play you have to add your own lipo but the bind n fly has a one in the box.

So is it possible?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
mike109

G'day

A friend at my club has both the Radian and the Radian Pro. He MUCH prefers the Radian to the Pro. The Radian does not have ailerons and this makes it far easier to fly. You set it up with the rudder on the aileron channel and go gliding. The Radian is a great beginner's glider. It also thermals better than the Pro as it is lighter.

When I started out flying back in 1989, my teacher was not all that good. I ended up having to teach myself and I used a model called the Dynaflite Butterfly. It is, in some ways, a glow powered, balsa built Radian. It let me become independent quickly and gave me lots of stick time.

As for changing the receiver - there is no real reason you cannot. But, the space in the Radian for the receiver is quite small. I used to have the Turnigy transmitter and receiver you are talking about. They work OK (though the menu system in the transmitter is pretty crude) but the receiver is quite large and may not fit easily in the Radian without quite a bit of surgery.

The Optic 6 from Hitec is a good simple but very versatile radio. Hitec make two series of receivers. The Minima series are quite cheap and will fit well in a Radian. You can also get clones from HK of the receivers.

Cheers

Mike in Dubbo, NSW, Australia
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM
jetRC

Hi Mike109, Ive already got a Copterx CT-9A transmitter which is a Turnigy 9x just with another brand name on, so i think ill go with getting the copterx 6 channel receiver which is about the same size as the AR600, your right, ive got that 9 channel RX and its a huge, and i think it would be a bit heavy for a radian.

Thank you!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 PM
mike109

G'day

That sound's good. If you get a Radian you will enjoy it. You need to fly it as a glider. That is, use the motor to get height then trim it for best glide by gradually increasing the UP trim. If it starts to "porpoise" - flying up, stalling then dropping and flying up again" decrease the UP trim a bit as you have it trimmed too close to its stall.

Then glide around looking for thermals. If you see the wings rock, you may have just gone through some warmer, rising air. Try to stay in it. The Radian is a great thermaler.

If you get too high and need to come down, put the model into a wide spiral dive. Just using the rudder is usually enough.

No powered glider flies all that well under power. The power is for getting up, not for flying around.

Also, once you have it trimmed for best glide, the trim may be too much UP for when you are under power. I just use the down stick to keep it climbing as steeply as it can and release it once you are about to stop the motor. Stop the motor gently and you may also have to give a little extra DOWN to flatten the flight into glide from the climb attitude.

And have fun.

Mike in Dubbo, NSW, Australia.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew a buddy's Radian, and liked it a lot. He added flaps, which makes landing in a small field easier.

I then went out and bought the pro. I enjoy it a great deal.

Downsides I suppose would be that installing the wings is a bit of a pain, but I now have a trailer and I leave it together. Also, although IMHO more fun to fly, it does take a little more attention. The regular Radian with its upcurved wing tips will self correct, to a degree, when upset by a wind gust or whatever.

On mine I have a bit of down elevator mixed to throttle. Otherwise, with it trimmed the way I like, it will pitch up when you get on the power.

If you have a charger you might be better off with the plug and play, and get a few gens ace or nano tech 1300 3 cells.

I also like to use a lipo buzzer type alarm, since with a motor glider you can't really judge battery use by time.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm on my second Radian and it's really a fun plane to have if you like relaxed thermal searching flying. I go out to the local park with a chair and a transistor radio and I have had flights just over an hour with altitudes reported to 1200 feet. Even lost my first one to a thermal but got it back because I had my name and phone number on it. If you get either, put your name and phone number on it.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

sorry double posted.....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

ORIGINAL: jetRC

Hi Mike109, Ive already got a Copterx CT-9A transmitter which is a Turnigy 9x just with another brand name on, so i think ill go with getting the copterx 6 channel receiver which is about the same size as the AR600, your right, ive got that 9 channel RX and its a huge, and i think it would be a bit heavy for a radian.

Thank you!!!

The ct9a WILL NOT bind with cr6c receiver.....
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Steve Steinbring

I have flown both the Radian and the Pro version, I prefer the Radian over the Pro. I find that the Radian is a pleasure to fly with flights limited to my neck fatigue on good thermal days

I second the adding of down elevator mix to the throttle as a master for climb out. Upon getting to altitude its just then a matter of a slow of reducing power to slip into a nice stable glide. I most often use a 2200mah lipo in mine and adjust the CG aft or forward to some extent depending upon wind conditions. Using the tip of hot soldering gun makes easy work to make the extra space for the larger lipo over the 1300mah. I've seen pilots add spoilers or flaps to the Radian as well, in my case I feel no need for the additions as there is little problem landing on our fields runway a short distance from the pilot box. The beauty of powered gliders is that you don't need a lot of gear, a tow tug, high start, or assistance to fly. The ability to Go-Around or add power if your short on approach is nice.

Good flying!