Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Chucksolo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First plane

Fact is, I used a sim for about a month and learned to fly on my own using various trainers including the HZ Champ. However, I did NOT progress very much until I actually started getting instruction from a talking, breathing, live mentor/instructor. If I had it to do over again, I would save the $200.00 I spent on the sim, join a club and find a mentor/instructor. BTW - I found my mentor not at my club, butamong the 10 guys I fly with in our "informal" club. Human help is always better. I just wish I had taken that advice from the beginning. The only way to get better at flying IMHO is to..........well, fly. Sorry guys, but sim "flying" ain't flying. Yes, sims can teach you some things, but, there is NOsubstitute for actually flying that RC plane.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69
Yes, sims can teach you some things, but, there is NO substitute for actually flying that RC plane.
+3 !!!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hookedonrc

And another reason to have a simulator......January/February oops that's 2 reasons.
He's from chesapeake, OH, that's about 6 reasons for having a simulator U guys in OK just get 2 nasty months.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 AM
hookedonrc

HoundDog, you are probably right. We moved here from Minnesota in 1995 and I still have the snow shovel we brought with us. In the last 2 years, a total of 1.5 inches of snow....about 1/2 each in 3 storms.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

HoundDog, you are probably right. We moved here from Minnesota in 1995 and I still have the snow shovel we brought with us. In the last 2 years, a total of 1.5 inches of snow....about 1/2 each in 3 storms.
Got sick of the 7 monthes of winter and the slop in SE Wisconsin so for the last 12 years I am fourtinate enough to winter in Apache junction AZ. Those guys wear hats gloves and parkas at 50 degrees and below. I'm getting to be a woose I manage a jacket at 60 and below now aftr 12 winters there.
Love flying year round though.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Kenny_A40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Got sick of the 7 monthes of winter and the slop in SE Wisconsin so for the last 12 years I am fourtinate enough to winter in Apache junction AZ. Those guys wear hats gloves and parkas at 50 degrees and below. I'm getting to be a woose I manage a jacket at 60 and below now aftr 12 winters there.
Love flying year round though.

I know what you mean HoundDog. I used to live in Garden City, MI and when i first mmoved here i wore shorts year round. Aftter about 3 years here though i now wear a jacket and pants if its below 50.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: Kenny_A40

Thanks for all the great advice. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you all. I am saving up for the simulator and I am planning to take a trip to my local club here in the next couple days. I was also considering a cheap 2 or 3 channnel foam plane that i can fly at home when i cannot make it to the club filed. Is this a good idea and if so which ones are best to buy?
'' considering a cheap 2 or 3 channnel foam plane that i can fly at home''
If U do use a 3 channel make sure U put the rudder on the left stick, that way U learn to use the RUDDER. Then when transitioning to a 4 channle U will automaticly use the RUDDER. JMHO
Bass Ackwards, JMHO.

Kurt