Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Improving stability

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Improving stability

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 AM
ICE-MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving stability

Check out this recent gyro review, some nice video footage.. BL-3GRC review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW3rEfHM0j8

Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Improving stability

For everyday flying.. seems to take the fun out of it.. but a cool product.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM
my05monte

So now we bypass the instructor??? How will this teach me to fly?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The man is selling gyros, if you can't control the plane well enough to fly then it looks like a good one. I have a couple of older friends that are using them now for a number of reasons. I have no use for one but they do have there place. Wonder if he has paid RCU yet to advertise this product?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM
KitBuilder

agree.. Gray.. we're luck to be in a time with such marvelous advances.. when my fingers tremple and my site is dim.. will be nice to have some "assistance" to help me bring her home safely so that we can continue enjoying model flight for as long as we can...
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stability Augmentation definitely has its place and not just for the purposes Gray Beard mentioned Although I do agree completely with its use in that way.

Sometimes I am saddened by threads that tend to trample down SAS by the 'macho factor'.

I first used this type of augmentation about twelve years ago, The ship had Magnum .28's and the hobbico single axis piezo gyro, the reason was help on takeoffs of my Quad Kadet for just seconds and what would happen is if one wanted to do those nice slow throttle up takeoffs the airplane was about impossible to keep in a straight line. Originally it was necessary to have someone hold the tail and only release after half throttle was reached. That little gyro has a lot of time on it and is still in the airplane today working beautifully. The airplane is on its second set of engines now which are OS 25fx and with those the need kinda went away but its still there and working well.

Now I just got an eagle tree 3 axis in hand today as well a Who Knows 3 axis from hong kong and plan to experiment with both for possible use In my current project another Kadet for long distance over water flight line of sight (not first person view) in a small boat in the ocean and likely very rolly polly conditions. A little augmentation will be most welcome.

Last year I completed a long flight on the colrado river and it was quite a ride at times the little jet boat had me flying the airplane rolled over on my side hanging on to the tranny and flying the airplane, The boat driver more than once had to grab by the arm an pull me back upright agine. A little bit of augmentation would have been most welcome.

Now I also must state that since this is benginners forum that no SAS has no place in flight training and in fact I am dead set aginst that. but it does have it uses and nothing to do with being macho or not.

John
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM
jetmech05

I don't know what to say. If you try and use that in a contest I hope you get caught. If you use one to help you learn to fly then put the crutch down and learn to fly with your thumbs. But if you loose a step due to age or health then I say use it
Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM
JohnBuckner

I would hope you are talking to the OP and not me as indicated by the reply to:

?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Gray Beard

First plane I flew with a gyro was a big Fleet Bipe. The owner had it on the rudder just to help keep it on the runway. The owner couldn't fly the plane but it was a fantastic build so a couple of us flew it at shows for him. If you forgot to turn it off after take off the gyro would fight you when you tried to use rudder. At the lake bed there are a couple of older fellows that can still fly but after about 5 minutes they get too tired to keep there planes level so the gyro is a life saver for them, gives them a chance to land when they are too pooped to poop. I just haven't had to use one yet but the day may come. If it was in the advertisements the fellow may be able to sell a few.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM
JohnBuckner

Here are the two gyro's I am going to experiment with for the Catalina Kadet, the one the left is one of those orange things and it is three axis, cost about twenty bucks. I don't deal with Hong Kong so a bud picked it up for me When we were experimenting with our wireless buddy box setups. The one that my LHS just dropped off today (oh man how many LHS deliver?) is the the new Eagle Tree three axis and cost about seventy bucks.

Grey beard the problem I beleve you experianced and the need to turn the unit off was simply the result of running to much gain. My experiance with the Quad did not require turning the unit off and in fact that old Hobbico cannot be turned off. The gain required for keeping the airplane striaght on the runway require only a rather small throw of the rudder. The advantage is the speed of the units response before the human can even detect the yaw.

If the gain is set to high when used on rudder there will be some dutch roll detected in high speed flight and the solution is to just reduce the gain. The Quads unit is always on and you really cannot tell.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30498.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1883894  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I don't know what to say. If you try and use that in a contest I hope you get caught. If you use one to help you learn to fly then put the crutch down and learn to fly with your thumbs. But if you loose a step due to age or health then I say use it

You should make a list for us to reference for when we can use one or not.

Kurt
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Gray Beard

John, I have never set one up and really know nothing about them. I just flew the plane for the fellow at a big IMAA event. I have flown one of the planes at the lake bed and it fought me too. I haven't even read the instructions for the unit but I'm sure it was the set up wasn't correct as you say. Not my planes, not going to fool with them. I just happen to see a use for them. I'm not going to be flying from a boat any time soon though. Just remind me about the float fly this year so I don't forget about it again.
Gene
Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM
JohnBuckner

Cool GB and just remember to think floats in November
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

You should make a list for us to reference for when we can use one or not.

Kurt
Thats funny there. IMO the best stability device one can use is a well trimmed model. Take the time and trim yout airplanes well and leave the gyros in the helicopters.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

... and leave the gyros in the helicopters.

Yes, but my point is where is the line on the stability scale - why helicopters? And who drew the line? Trim does not equal stability. Two different aero concepts.

Kurt
Old 05-21-2013, 04:16 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrix

leave the gyros in the helicopters.

Indeed the "Macho Factor" is alive and well!

John
Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 AM
CGRetired

Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The wave of the future yes it is. How many beginners in the past just gave up and left the hobby. I learned the hard way both with fixed and rotary winged models. Others don't they just give up. Technology is keeping our hobby alive so accept what it has to offer. Without the advent of exponential I could never have mastered 3D maneuvers.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
JohnB96041

Would like some opinions as to the best 3-axis gyro available. Looking to be able to hook up 2 aileron and 2 elevator servos and one rudder servo. Looked at the hobby king orange 3-axis gyro, looked at the BL-3GRC gyro. Are there others available? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Kurt, IMO a well trimmed airplane is more stable. I define stability as an airplane that is easier to fly. A properly trimmed airplane will react less to wind gusts and throttle changes, will have less control cross coupling and will not have adverse yaw in the turns. Please explain how this would not be considered stable. Being this is a beginners forum I could back up some and agree that some newcomers could benefit from use of the new stability systems as long as they are weened off them as they learn. Some unusual airplanes like a Gee Bee that would be incredibly difficult to fly of course would be of benefit. What I would hate to see is someone who is using the gyro system to fix a poorly set up airplane instead of learning how to get the most out of their aircraft.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
acerc

End point adjustment= cheating! 

Adjustable travel volume=cheating!

Split channels for Ail/Ele=cheating!

Computer Tx=cheating!

Anything other than a chicken stick=cheating!

Not siphoning your fuel=cheating!

Dual rates=cheating!

Exponential=cheating!

To old to see, glasses=cheating!

To crippled to walk, wheelchair=cheating!

To weak to handle your planes,helper=cheating!

Can't hear anymore, use a tack=cheating!

Give me a break! Oh! That may be cheating!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM
acerc

Going on line and listening to what others say you can and/or can not do. You just may be cheating!!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
JohnB96041

good teaching methods: There is no such thing as cheating. If you don't know the answer, do you know how to find the answer? Once you find the answer, do you know what to do with it? This worked for 25 years of teaching in High School and all my former students now thank me for that way of teaching them. Most went on to college and now have good careers. Others went to trade schools and have great jobs by working for someone else or have their own business.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
acerc

No! There is no cheating in everyday recreational flying. Not if that is what I want to do or use. And all the blow hards and enlarged ego's are not going to change that. Now granted I may not be the McDaddy pilot like apparently so many are. But I have the right to use what ever electronic means that is at my disposal to make me happy with what or how I fly. And that goes for anyone. If you want them, if you like them, and if that is your choice, do it. Great. Fabulous!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Bozarth

I am with you Robert!

Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.