Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What are some of the best running engines in the .40 to .50 rangr?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What are some of the best running engines in the .40 to .50 rangr?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 07:32 PM
LOW & SLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some of the best running engines in the .40 to .50 rangr?

I have been out of r/c airplane flying for about 12 years. I owned several k&b engines and super tigres. they were absolutely great. They idled great. Are they still as good? I'm sure I will start with a trainer again. I'm not looking for the most h.p. I just want a good running and idling engine. thanks any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Woodsy

Default RE: What are some of the best running engines in the .40 to .50 rangr?

the Thunder Tiger 42 and 46 are the best running, best performance engines for the $$

The OS 40 and 46 LA are also VERY user friendly but are under powered and to expecive for what you get.

the OS40 and 46 FX are fantastic if you have some spare $$$$ to throw around
Old 09-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Foxtrot82

hey

i own an evolution .46 and its a great engine. it has a smooth idle and starts on the first try nearly every time i start it. its quiet and its foolproof. they could train monkeys to run this engine. its has limiters on the needle valve so you cant over do it. it was made with the beginner in mind, but it is pretty powerful. if you get model airplane news the new november issue has a review of this engine. you definatly cant go wrong with it
Old 09-22-2003, 07:50 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Both K&B and Super Tigre have had changed of ownership and production locations since you last flew. The K&B was purchased by MECOA in California and is essentially the same engine. Their Screamin 46 has had good reviews. Super Tigre was produced in Italy and now is being produced in China by Great Planes distributors. I have owned several of these engines in the past.

Most current lines of engines are good and easy to run. You will need to learn new run in techniques as the older engines normally were ringed and newer ones are ABC (or similar) technology. Running an ABC engine rich will burn it up almost as quickly as running it too lean.

Some of my current favorites:
Irvine 40 // 46 // 53 which are all in the same case
OS 40 or 46 FX also in the same case
Enya 50 TN (a little heavier but a brute in the power department)
Thunder Tigre 40 (use these locally by the rules for club racing)

Welcome back to the hobby and sport,

EXCAP232
Old 09-22-2003, 08:28 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

I have been buying the Thunder Tiger Pro 46's.
I have not looked back.

I did have a couple of Tower 40 's and 46's. The TT Pros are better IMHO.

I also had a OS LA. It did not stand up very well. Once it started having problems, I got rid of it. The plastic backing seems to give some problems. But some people like em.

Bill
Old 09-22-2003, 09:42 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with RedWing......the TT Pro .46 is my engine of choice.....they take a little longer to break in than an OS .46 FX, but they keep getting stronger and stronger. The OS FX series is great, but there's no way that I'll ever spend $30-35 more when I can get the TT Pro .46
Old 09-22-2003, 09:51 PM
LOW & SLOW

THANKS GUYS, I REALLY DO APRECIATE ALL OF THE RECOMENDATIONS BUT I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO KNOW ABOUT THE K&B OR SUPER TIGRES. I HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS A NEW .40LA OS AND I REALLY DOES NOT IMPRESS ME. IT DOESN'T LIKE TO IDLE OR TRANSITION WELL. MAYBE IT HAS NOT BROKEN IN YET, BUT IT IS OFF MY SHORT LIST. FROM WHAT I AM READING IT SOUNDS LIKE THE OS FX SERIES IS BETTER THAN THE LA. FORD VS. CHEVY SUBJECT THANK YOU AGAIN
Old 09-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LOW & SLOW

THANKS GUYS, I REALLY DO APRECIATE ALL OF THE RECOMENDATIONS BUT I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO KNOW ABOUT THE K&B OR SUPER TIGRES. I HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS A NEW .40LA OS AND I REALLY DOES NOT IMPRESS ME. IT DOESN'T LIKE TO IDLE OR TRANSITION WELL. MAYBE IT HAS NOT BROKEN IN YET, BUT IT IS OFF MY SHORT LIST. FROM WHAT I AM READING IT SOUNDS LIKE THE OS FX SERIES IS BETTER THAN THE LA. FORD VS. CHEVY SUBJECT THANK YOU AGAIN

Whatever one likes is always the best. I never cared for K&B in any RC use, except for pylon racing back in the 70s-early '80s.

I have always loved Super Tigres. I have a substantial collection, mostly from eBay these past few years since Great PAINS screwed up the marketing of that engine. I still have operating engines from the mid-70s.

The absolutely best engines available, reliable, powerful, and user-friendly are the Dub Jetts, in the regular/sport series. Expensive but so is a BMW!

If you can get a ST in the size you want, I think you will be satisfied. Rugged, reliable -- after 2-4 hours -- and lasts forever. If you get the later models with the round exhaust extension, just do NOT back up the muffler to the end of the extension. Cut it off, drill some holes, or hang the muffler out. If you don't I will probably get another good deal on eBay. Ha - Ha - Ha
Old 09-23-2003, 07:56 AM
LittleFolk

I've been flying for 30 years and have a hard time putting away my K&B .61's. I've heard some negative feedback for them, but I have never had any problem and I can get them pretty cheap. About $50 for a new one on Ebay. I also like O.S. and Thunder Tiger. I had a friend who had a Magnum .40 and it ran flawlessly.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with some of the others here. I have 2 Thunder Tiger Pro46 engines and they have been excellent performers. The older of the engines seems to get better each time I run it. The new one has very little time on it and has not yet started to peak in performance. I also have a 42GP that has very little time on it but it performs very well for a bushed engine. In my opinion, Thunder Tiger engines are the best value you can get in an engine.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Well... let's see there is the IRVINE, that I wouild pick first...then the IRVINE as a second choice... and hhhmmmm yes of course IRVINE if you want a good looking engine
Seriously thugh, TT are good adn Magnums are also good for the price, K&B's the ones I've seen are powerful but messy and use a lot of fuel.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Montague

If you were happy with K&B and Super Tiger before, then you'll probibly be happy with them again, even though they aren't the same engines they used to be.

I think the Evolution is going to be easier to set up and run well, but since you have engine experience, I honestly think any of the engines mentioned above will do you quite nicely. TT, Irvine, Evo, Magnum, OS, ST, K&B, whatever. They can all run well.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Sincraft

Enya is very powerful compared to the competition. Half throttle I am passing other 40s in the sky like they are standing still...and they are on full power. BUT they are a PAIN to get started, the needle valves are made to chop your fingers off, and a PAIN to get running reliably...as far as I can tell. Only have experience with the 40ss