Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

start w/ 40 or 60

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

start w/ 40 or 60

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM
ptjeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start w/ 40 or 60

Hello all,
I've been reading a lot of posts and learning a lot, thanks to everyone. Now I would like to get thoughts and opinions as to which to begin with, the 40 or the 60 size motor/plane. I am as interested in building the plane as much as flying the plane. I will start with the high wing trainer, with a tutor at the club I join. Then move to a low wing and then to sport and/or biplane. The question has many considerations and I welcome any and all feedback, personal bias, and experience so that I can make an "educated guess"
Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Bigger planes fly smoother than smaller ones. If given a choice between a 40 and a 60 size I would go with the 60 sized. It's going to be a bit bigger and easier to see, and it's also going to be not as "twitchy" as the 40.

As a side note, Aeroworks is getting ready to release a new "big" trainer. it's designed for a DLE-20 or DLE-30 and has an 88" wingspan!!! I'm going to be doing the review on it and I'm really looking forward to seeing a larger sized trainer like that!!!

Ken
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The .60 will cost you a little more and use a bit more fuel, but the bigger plane does fly better and is easier to see. So if you need it to be economical, get the .40. If spending maybe $150 extra between fuel and equipment over the course of your first year of flying isn't a problem then go for the .60 size or even bigger.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or you can actually have the best of both worlds when it comes to your first, the trainer. You see this airplane: http://www.sigplanes.com/SIG-Kadet-S...-ARF_p_88.html will fly extremely well with the the 40/46 engine yet is as large and easy to see (80 inch wingspan) as any sixty size trainer.

In addition even that size class (40/46) is not necessary with the Senior Cadet it is very competent with a good .35. That is what I use on my workhorse trainer for teaching and it is very competent at that and does fine aerobatics when called for. It is often said that a Senior is a poor flyer in winds and that is complete balonny. It is an excellent performer in winds that most others have already called it quits.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 09-12-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 PM
BobFE

I'd recommend the Sig LT-40. It is a 40 size trainer that is almost the size of the 60 size trainers. Best of both worlds. The kit is easy to build and the plane flies great!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I third the LT-40.

Aside from the LT-40, the 40/60 is a question of affordability. If you can afford the 60, get it. They fly better than 40s. But keep in mind that one's first airplane sometimes doesn't survive the learning process.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:14 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite glow-powered trainer is the Hobbico Hobbistar 60. Easy to assemble, easy to see, flies great!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCSY9&P=0
Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 AM
ptjeff

So it really is the economics between the 2 sizes, not necessarily the idea that a 60 is too big as a trainer. If I think I want to ultimately think I want to fly 60's, then I should learn with a 60.
Is this off base?
Now its off to the airfield and hope that someone at clevelandrc club is still flying before the first snowfall.

Last edited by ptjeff; 09-13-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 AM
ptjeff

So it really is the economics between the 2 sizes, not necessarily the idea that a 60 is too big as a trainer. If I think I want to ultimately think I want to fly 60's, then I should learn with a 60.
Is this off base?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 AM
kfla

ptjeff, Go with the Hobbistar 60, It has a semi symetrical wing (good for minor aerobatics). It's the "best" trainer you can buy and flies great. I upgrade to 3 1/2" wheels and a fults dual strut nose gear (for grass runways). 60 size planes are bigger, fly better and easier to see than a 40 size, OOHH and they have more power So when the wind picks up (gusts)you can still fly up wind. Cause a 40 size can be tricky/twitchy in the wind to fly and land. Cost wise it's not that much more to go with a 60, and you can use all that equipment in your kit built biplane. Think of the Hobbistar as your first and 2nd plane in one, Once you master that your ready for a tail dragger. FWIW, I still have 2 hobbistars, I wasn't flying anymore because I fly bigger stuff so I put a set of floats on 1 of them and it's a BLAST to fly off the water. Kevin
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 AM
CafeenMan

The reason most trainers have been traditionally .40 size is a compromise between cost and size. Bigger is better. But it costs more. If money isn't the issue then the right choice is bigger assuming you also can fit it in your vehicle to transport it.

If you destroy it in a crash then obviously you're out more money but again, it's just money. If that's not a concern the there is no other reason to go smaller except as I mentioned - being able to store and transport.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:10 AM
ptjeff

Originally Posted by kfla
OOHH and they have more power
Thats what I'm talkin' about! Grunt, grunt
Kevin
Can you explain the tail dragger reference. I know what style that plane is, but don't understand why it would be more difficult
Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 AM
ptjeff

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
The reason most trainers have been traditionally .40 size is a compromise between cost and size. Bigger is better. But it costs more.
It seems to be just a few bucks, not this great cost difference.

Love the website, looks like a lot of useful info. Love the tools! No man can have too many
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Taildraggers can be more challenging to take off with because the ground steering isn't as positive. When the plane accelerates and/or the wheels encounter some rolling resistance, on a nosewheel plane the steering wheel gets planted down harder and actually does a better job holding the plane straight. But a taildragger loses weight on the steering wheel making you depend on the rudder more which may not be effective enough yet. Of course, there is a lot more to it as the design of the particular plane has a big effect too. An Ugly Stick or a trainer set up as a taildragger isn't challenging at all to handle on the ground, but a Cub or WWI biplane can be downright ornery.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM
kfla

What he said But don't worry, You'll learn, It's easy and once you figure it out There's nnnooo looking back. This is both a great and frustrating hobby all at the sametime I can't say enough about the Hobbistar. I would avoid ones that are made of foam (JMO). Get a good quality 65 (hear OS) and it will last along time for many planes. Don't save a few bucks and get a "cheapiee". I go to fly not fiddle with my engines (Like I see SSSOOOO many newbies do cause they bought junk) JMO Kevin
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 AM
ptjeff

Too bad the Hobbistar is not a kit.
Or the Kadet
Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM
kfla

It's still worth it in my opinion. Build your next plane while learning/perfecting how to fly You can't go wrong with that plane. Kevin
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
I would say it depends on how young /old you are and what transportation facilities you have.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 PM
QuinnG

The Kadet comes in a Kit and an ARF version.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjeff
Too bad the Hobbistar is not a kit.
Or the Kadet
Great Planes PT-60 is a kit. My PT-40 was very easy to build and flew very well. Build it with the lower dihedral. And you'll want to keep it around for a long time.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

As everybody is telling you the bigger the plane the easier it is to fly.
Better handling and you can see her better.
80" WS is perfect
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM
ptjeff

The GP PT-60 is the one I have my eye on, at the moment. Am reading the PIF SIG 40 build and getting a real lesson in construction considerations, and I'm only on page 4. One thing is I keep getting distracted by the magnet system...got to stay focused!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I'd consider a stick plane, I had a 15cc gasser on a 60 size stick from value hobbies and this was very easy to fly, the huge wing makes it easy to see and ground handling is not problem, it's a tail dragger, but absolutely no tendency to ground loop.
I also ha a .70 four stroke on it, had more then enough power for a trainer.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM
spd101

I wnet with the LT40 because it has almost a 6 foot wing span and powersd it with a thunder tiger gp42. This was in 1999 and the engine still runs strong! The continuing cost of the 60 size planes will always be more than your 40 size generally speaking. Keep checking the builds on the planes your interested in and you will learn a lot. I now fly all evolution 2 strokes besides the gp42, Saito 4 strokes. Hangar 9 , great planes, top flite and sig aircraft.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Roguedog

I was out of the hobby for 24 years. When I decided to get back with it I decided I better try something that I didn't care about destroying and got a flat foamy. There are several mfgs that make them out of something called epp foam. That foam is almost unbreakable. Good choice for me as you will see below.

So I got one, 30in wing span, set it all up and practiced at a local park in between trips to the club i joined. First flight lasted all of 2 seconds. Hobby People recommended too big an electric motor and two big of a battery1300mah lipo. I hand launched it an it took off like a lightning bolt. Scared me a little. Gave it a little up elevator and dove it straight in to the ground about 20 feet away for me. That all happened in about 2 seconds max. Laughed my ass off. Had the elevator servo reversed. Duh.

I flight checked several times at home. Figured out afterword that I was flight checking it upside down on the workbench.

Broke the prop, engine came off, which required a trip back home to fix. Point is I'm glad is was a foamy and not something I spent 6 months building, covering, and setting up.

Having someone at the club you join helping you out is a must if your going with a 60 sized plane what ever it is.
Also having a beater plane is great for learning on as well for in between trips to the club.

It was a quick fix for the foamy. On my next outing with it I put on a way smaller motor and 400mah lipo battery and added landing gear cause the time before was also my first hand launch. This time gave it power rolled out and got flying speed, a little up elevator, it lifted into the air, at about 15 feet high I went to bank to the left and it rolled to the right, right into the ground. Laughed my ass off again. This time ailerons reversed.

Nothing broke but it required me going back to the house to fix. Still have it and fly it on occasion.

The most important thing I will suggest is make it trike gear. Ground looping sucks. Crashing it before it even gets airborne is frustrating. Watched several newbie's get really upset from trying to learn with a tail dragger. One guy wanted to fly only WWII fighter planes. Would not try a trainer. He could fly fine but had a hell of a time geting it in the air and crash it on every landing. Don't let anyone browbeat you in to a tail dragger as your learning plane. Later after you have some flight time under your belt you can try a tail dragger.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by Roguedog; 09-14-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.