Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Os 160fx - 0s 200fs p

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Os 160fx - 0s 200fs p

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 PM
izzy-israel-73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os 160fx - 0s 200fs p

I have decided to bin the FTL 52cc engine and go for either the OS 160FX or OS 200Fs11P to put in my Seagull Extra 260 160-180 what would be best ?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither.
Nitro is HORRIBLY expensive to run, especially at that size (a 1.80ci motor is a 30cc).
For what one of them is worth, you can buy at least two gas motor, which are better running, have vastly less fuel usage, don't spew oil residue all over your model etc etc.
As per what I have stated elsewhere, either a DLE30 or 35, or an OS33 will in no way be lacking in that airframe, not one little bit.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 AM
izzy-israel-73

If you look around you can get nitro motors very cheap as people have gone to petrol as you stated in you're post above, to purchase a OS 33 I am looking around the $500 mark I can pick up a OS FS200 P for $300 being four stroke fuel economy should be OK
Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 AM
jetmech05

Your getting up in size where glow is expensive.... Do not let the learning curve of gas deter you. I went gas about 4 years ago never looked back. Go with the gasser
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning Izzy, at least it is for me . Ok first let allow me to compliment you on your prolific and positive posting. That is such an important thing especially in these rough economic times for so many around the world and the inevitable down turn in the the hobby we all love so much. Also why most all the regulars here love the beginners forum and contribute so much.

Anyway enough of that and back to your choosen subject. I do not know anything about that big OS four stroke But I do about the 160 as I was able to help a gentleman using that engine. Excellent engine and it flew the the big Ultra Sport arf very well. He just needed a bit of help learning how to needle the engine. By the way if I remember correctly it responded very nicely to the high speed needle pinch tuning.

Agine although I know nothing about the big OS four stroke I do suspect either engine will be fine in that airplane and the 160 actually superb. Just a word of note about the big two strokes, There is absolutely nothing wrong with using them if you are a mind to do so. Yes they use more fuel, so what? Right this moment its still dark outside and while I wait for the sun to go out to the field this morning my Wild Stick with the big Moki Two Stroke is already loaded and waiting and so is an ample supply of Zero percent nitro to run it on. That engine in that airplane is a joy to operate and fly and heck even the cleanup time afterwards is all a part of the social intercourse with my modeling friends.

I also have a new in box OS 2.13 cubic inch two stroke that is just waiting for a nice project. Any way I'am off to fly.

John
Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM
opjose

Izzy as John mentioned, larger glow engines actually do better with less Nitro, which does lower the cost significantly.

You have to weight the cost of fuel and it's availabilty to you, into the mix however.

That large glow engine will consume up to 2.5oz of fuel per minute. You'll be buying a gallon of fuel for each day at the field.

A small gas engine may be cheaper and easier for you to run in the long term.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:11 PM
kiwibob72

I look at it this way when thinking large (30cc) gassers vs nitro, over time that $300 big nitro motor will cost a fortune in running costs, and this just gets back to that whole "price vs cost" debate.
As pointed out above, you could burn a GALLON of nitro a day at like $30-40 for fuel, or spend $3-5 on gas on petrol. Now, you may go out to the field say 20 times in one year, and even if your saving only $25 a day on fuel, just do the maths, you'll save more than the cost of that gas motor in the first year!!.

Last edited by kiwibob72; 12-27-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 PM
JohnBuckner

OK Izzy i'am back from the field and had a very pleasant morning of if. OK first let me explain at our field we use two burn barrels, one on each end of the flight line all during winter the club buys firewood and these burn barrels are well used and loved by all concerned as well a becoming the epicenter for that social intercourse I spook of earlier.

Now often I am the first on the scene and do the firestarting chores and in the past I tended to use Barbecue lighting fluid to get the fires going and that did work well until I did the math on costs. Now here in our little part of the world I discovered that 15% glow fuel has been steady at the local LHS just under eighteen bucks and if you do the math on container sizes that at least here that Barbeque lighting fluid is more expensive! Go figure. so guess what many of us just use glow fuel to start our fires and if that consider wastefull well so be it.

Back to this morning. Before I loaded up last night I filled up one of my one gallon pump cans to the brim from my little secret stash of Zero Percent that Is think cost me nine bucks a gallon. At the field first things first and proceeded to use about one and one half of a Starbucks cup of the zero percent fuel on the logs to start the fire. After a period of good fellowship around the fire I did the first of my three flights this morning and no idea of how long but I probably don,t fly as long as I once did when I was younger. But to sum it up when I got home that can is down to two thirds full.

Great morning and economics that work for me. I think since the late fifties I have used and enjoyed just about every form of power system ever used except compressed air and love and enjoyed them all and many still to this day. And that experience is cheap at any price

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Burn barrel (Medium).JPG
Views:	276
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1951845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild Stick.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1951847  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 12-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 AM
izzy-israel-73

Thanx Guy's . John look's like you should be in shorts and a tea shirt not coat jackets lol . Great landing gear, that's pretty much what we need when the grass gets to long! I I have been reading a few threads and about the post on the Seagull Extra and the FTL 52cc engine it seems that for good power for this plane to 3D you need a engine around the 30cc -40cc I read that the FTL power is not with the DA or DLE power range and is more like the 35cc-45cc range, so seeing this I guess I am near what power that i need to 3D, saying this I am still a bit curious weather to fit the FTL in the plane what do you think sell the engine and go smaller? I did fit the FTL on the plane fits nice in the cowl just the velocity stack would be sticking out half an inch so I wouldent have to chop half of the cowl away to fit the engine just thought id throw that in lol .After saying all this I am still in two minds what to do !!!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:55 AM
izzy-israel-73

Yes I would like to go a gasser Jetmech05 I have a FTL 52 just not quiet sure if it is the right engine for the plane!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:08 AM
izzy-israel-73

Went for a fly today, not again sliced my finger starting my Fun Fly OS91 FS on the bench, bech tipped over forward went to catch bench and nicked my finger lucky not to need stitches look's like I am in the monthly report again !!! Still had a fly with the Sig Fazzer will fly the FunFly when I give the engine a good flush out
Old 12-28-2013, 03:40 AM
yojoelay

Izzy,

if you have to go nitro go with an OS BGX with a 20x8 prop. It is marginally heavier but not so much that it can't be overcome by moving things like batteries around. It is not as powerful as a 50cc petrol motor though. I replaced a 160fx with a BGX and found a nice step up in power. The BGX runs the same size muffler mount as the 160fx however the rail mounts are slightly wider and further apart. Don't worry about a fuel pump or anything like that, use large bore fuel tubing, keep the tank close to the motor and you are off.

I ran the 160 and the BGX in a similar sized Sig Extra 300xs, the bigger motor was perfect. It likes carbon props, the hobby king ones do just fine.

Joel

Last edited by yojoelay; 12-28-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:10 AM
izzy-israel-73

I have a Xoar 20x8 laminated prop for the FTL
Old 12-28-2013, 04:16 AM
izzy-israel-73

I am using HD 1218TG servos 2x elevator 1x rudder pull pull 2x ailerons power 2x 2cell lipo 3000 mhp
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
kiwibob72

Originally Posted by izzy-israel-73
Yes I would like to go a gasser Jetmech05 I have a FTL 52 just not quiet sure if it is the right engine for the plane!
Izzy, based on this being the Seagull model you have mentioned, the plane this motor option is intended on going in is a 71" wing span Extra 260. Just about every single "30cc gas" class aerobatic monoplane currently being sold out there is around the 70-76" WS size, which this plane clearly fits within.
Not once have I ever seen a guy with a 30cc gas powered aerobatic aircraft say it's lacking in power to do any 3D move, look up all the Aeroworks, Goldwing, Aerobees (ets) '30cc' videos on youtube you'll see that they are all flying perfectly well on 30-35cc petrol powered motors, and they are all odds on slightly bigger than your aircraft (most of them are 73" or there about).
The 52cc donk you have may only have the same power as a 'modern' 30-35cc power plant, but it also weighs quite a bit more than those 30-35cc motors as well - and ANY 3D model be it a plane or helicopter is all about power to weight, which that 52cc donk will greatly effect, not to mention adding (vibrational) stress on the airframe thus reducing it's life span. So while extra power is good on an 3D aerobatic aircraft, adding extra weight is not!!.

What ever way you decide to go, be it gas or glow, please keep with something that your airframe is designed to handle (ie around 30-35cc), and just sell that 52cc thing as I really do fear that it will just ruin that airframe for you if you decide to go with it.

If you opt for glow, this could be a good cheap option for you (a number of guys at our club run ASP 4 strokes without issue - my old 2 strokes were great also!) : http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8983__ASP_FS180AR_Four_Stroke_Glow_Engine.html
Or if you decide to go gas, RC head quarters outside Melbourne have the OS33 gasser for AUD$436: http://www.rcheadquarters.com.au/

Last edited by kiwibob72; 12-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

If you are willing to change your engine type you could go glow and not go broke. I have Moki 1.8 and 2.10 on 5% nitro run great and don't require any thing more than 1/2 throttle for most flying. Hanger 9 P-47 Thunderbolt with 2.10 Moki flying at 5280 ft elevation just rips the gassers.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either of those engines. They are the true 'stump-pullers' in the nitro category. By the way, I need to try 5 or 10% nitro in mine. I use 20-20 in everything, with no issues, huge power, broad needle settings, at about $3 more a gallon. Can't imagine zero nitro or less nitro is better, but hey, I'll try it.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM
izzy-israel-73

Justrcmodels have the DLE 30 FOR $305 AUD what do you think about the DLE engines?

Last edited by izzy-israel-73; 12-28-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:54 AM
kiwibob72

Re DLE as a motor choice ..... based on cost, performance, reliability, availability over here etc .... where possible they are my first choice (I've got one in my P51 that I'm building, and I'd like either the 30 or 35RA for my 73" Sbach, but since I have the 3.15hp CRRC 26cc that I got given as a birthday gift - and I do not like snubbing very kind gestures from family members, I'll just use that motor in my Sbach as I have no questions around it meeting my specific needs - I like scale aerobatic flight over hardcore 3D).
Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 AM
izzy-israel-73

well I have been looking on the net and there is a AGM 30cc engine for $200.00 not sure whether or not to hit the buy now button!!!

Last edited by izzy-israel-73; 12-29-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 AM
kiwibob72

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...as-engine.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...as-engine.html

These are worth your time reading.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

You guys all make good points and are well taken. But gas stinks. And gassers sound like weed whackers. Four stroke glow engines smell great and sound even better. Don't try to confuse me with facts like gas engines are cheaper to run and don't make a mess on your airplane.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Hey JP, you are correct. Gas does stink. And don't forget those bad vibes either. Big strokers shake too, but on balance, not as bad.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM
kiwibob72

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
You guys all make good points and are well taken. But gas stinks. And gassers sound like weed whackers. Four stroke glow engines smell great and sound even better. Don't try to confuse me with facts like gas engines are cheaper to run and don't make a mess on your airplane.
As for the comment that "gassers sound like weed whackers" .... are we talking two stroke gassers, four stroke gassers, single piston, double, quad piston, radial?? .... and irrespective of their substantial cost, personally I find a 5 or 7 cylinder Moki to be one of the best sounds in this hobby period - and those are gas powered!! (I'd rather have one of them over a turbine powered model any day!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i9pTrbO67E

"Four stroke engines smell great" ...... again, which ones are we talking about, gas or glow, single piston etc etc .....

Hope you all have a happy and great 2014!

Last edited by kiwibob72; 12-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM
JohnBuckner

[QUOTE=JollyPopper But gas stinks [/QUOTE]

Tsk Tsk Got Rubber??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scales two (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	227
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1952386   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber 046.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1952387   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber 035.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	1952388  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.