Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aviation Club at School - Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aviation Club at School - Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
rlipsett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much actual rc instruction have you done and what is your proficiency flying. Instructing rc pilots is quite stressful unless you have a very relaxed proficiency. Students can pick out if you are tense and that makes them tense up and make more mistakes. you have to be able to just be able to fly well yourself but to be able to subconsciously put yourself into the aircraft and fix bad orientations that your students put you into with no time to think. You would be amazed at how fast a banked turn can turn into a nose down inverted dive. the hard part is getting your head into the game from a standing start to a proper recovery action. do you have time to finish a loop before hitting the ground. can your plane preform a high enough negative g climb to avoid hitting the ground. can you roll the plane quick enough or will you have to perform a negative snap to save the plane. how comfortable are you with your skills to allow the student the time to correct his own mistakes. unless you have a lot of time you might want to consider getting outside help while you develop those skills

Last edited by rlipsett; 05-22-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: missplelled word change meaning of sentence
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

rlipsett wow you must thik you are the only one who can teach someone to fly the right way
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
rlipsett

no I don't believe that at all but I have seen pilots who were competent enough to fly there own aircraft but were still early on in there own learning to fly, destroy an airplane because they were not competent enough to get out of someone else mistake because of lack of experience. I thought if he was that rusty or inexperienced flying rc that maybe it would be advisable to seek some club help for initial training until his skills mature.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's not bad advice at all, especially if he goes straight to 4 channel planes. There is a skill in flying, and then there is another skill in instructing. It helps to get out there and put yourself in every weird position you can think of and work out your fastest way out of it ahead of time. Practice those until they are automatic responses. When I first decided to teach, an experienced instructor took me up and showed me the common things that normally went wrong so he'd be ready to talk me through it if I needed it.
That said, if the OP goes with the Super Cubs I recommended, the learning curve is pretty low with them. It would be hard to get one upside down, and even if they did manage to dink one in they repair fast.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kadet yet. The nice part about this plane is that it comes in a couple of sizes, can be purchased as either ARF or kit and can be powered with nitro or electric motors. It's a good, stable trainer that can do a lot of things and easily customized to meet your needs

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-27-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM
jester_s1

The Kadet is a fine plane for students who want to fly glow and have a facility to do so in and an instructor who's proficient in traditional trainers. It looks though like the OP is a bit rusty (no offense intended) and may not want to devote the time to get a balsa plane in the air. The foamies are the practical option for his situation, since he'll be doing all of the repairs and maintenance.

[email protected]- I think it'd be really great if you'd stop flaming and making snide comments at people who genuinely try to help. Just because a guy has knowledge and is direct about it doesn't make him arrogant or rude. I mean hey, look at me. I'm incredibly smart but stay humble as well. It can be done, although I admit it also helps to be stunningly handsome too.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Panady

Update - we purchased the Apprentice aircraft as mentioned earlier and the UMX Carbon Cub. Beinging a long time since I have regularly flown RC airplanes I found both easy to fly. I attribute the RealFlight simulator to an easy transition. We purchased the DX6i and have been happy with it.

So far we have had about 5 to 6 students flying rectangular patterns holding altitude with the Aprentice in beginner mode. Couldn't be happier with the results. Student are having a blast! Thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 AM
jester_s1

I'm glad to hear it, Panady. Looks like you made some good choices in planes to use.