Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New RC for a young beginner

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New RC for a young beginner

Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 AM
arino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RC for a young beginner

My son is 6 years old and I bought him a grasshopper last year because that was my first rc a long time ago. While he still crashes it now and again I want to get him something a little more advanced to keep his interest with the hobby. I'm looking for some help on the right rc for him, looking for something that's faster than the grasshopper and can take a beating from a 6 yr old.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

A Zagi might fit the bill. Tough as a Timex and certainly faster than a Grasshopper. Could be a step to far but who knows?

http://www.zagi.com/zagi-electric-wi...268ug543l2fdu5
Old 08-04-2014, 07:05 AM
arino

Thanks j. Duncker, I guess I should of mentioned that the grasshopper is a car and I am interested in a car or truck.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arino View Post
Thanks j. Duncker, I guess I should of mentioned that the grasshopper is a car and I am interested in a car or truck.
As this is an airplane beginners section, you might want to move your post to a car section.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM
arino

haha, thanks will do
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm into both, and I can enthusiastically recommend a Traxxas Stampede. My daughter is 6, and she drives mine sometimes. It's fast enough to hold a kid's interest, but built tough enough that they won't break it. My daughter has ran mine into the concrete curb in front of our house 1/2 a dozen times with no damage. When you burn up a rear end gear, they are cheap and easy to find, as are all the other commonly broken parts.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 AM
arino

Thanks for the help jester!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Leo L

Consider the Circuit line of trucks by ECX: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ilver-ECX03020 I bought two of them for my grandsons: one is 9 years old and the other one is 6 years old. I have them run the cars on a softball field's infield. The performance of the cars is incredible, and they are virtually bullet proof as testified by the many instances of head-on collisions at full speed. Just get several batteries for extended fun.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:34 PM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Those look cool too. I guess the choice between a monster truck versus a stadium truck would come down to what kind of surface they are going to run on the most. The Stampede and other monster trucks will handle grass better and will jump over obstacles better. But a stadium truck handles better on smooth dirt and pavement and isn't as likely to roll over.