Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie with 10 seconds of flight time

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie with 10 seconds of flight time

Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
TheSaum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with 10 seconds of flight time

Hi folks! After years of dreaming of getting into the RC aircraft hobby, I broke down and purchased myself a Super Cub Bind and Fly. Amazed that I could take it out of the box and fly it after the batteries were charged!

So on its first outing, the plane was in the area for all of 10 seconds before I lost control and it crashed. The crash resulted in clean break of the foam wing. Being new to the hobby, I'm wondering if this is fixable. I've read about foam-safe CA glue, but before I go out and buy some, will the glue hold up to the aerodynamic stress? Or do I need to spring for another wing?

Any advice would be helpful!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Bob of Aurora

Hello, I am sorry to hear of your short flight. I would suggest buying 30 minute 2 part epoxy to fix the wing. This will allow time to position the pieces prior to it setting up. It would need to be held in place with some tape of some sort during the cure time but it will be stronger after it cures. I would let it cure overnight for maximum strength. My other suggestion is to contact a club in your area to get some help learning to fly. It really is not as easy as it looks and an instructor would be of great help and less cost. I do want to wish you the best and hope you learn to really enjoy flying because it is very rewarding.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM
jetmech05

Agreed gettith thy self to a club. Learnith with great vigger
Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Leo L

Yes, your wing can be fixed. Get gap filling foam safe CA and Kicker. Apply the CA to one piece and spray the Kicker on the other piece. Press them together and hold them for one minute. To be on the safe side, I would apply some clear packing tape across the repaired area, particularly across the bottom of the wing, since this will be the area of greatest stress when flying.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 AM
skylark-flier

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One other small matter - something like a Super Cub is no kind of trainer to learn with. All Cubs are more "sport" aircraft than they are "trainers". Although I have no personal experience with them, I've been hearing nothing but GOOD about Horizon Hobby's E-flite Apprentice. Link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-EFL3180

And, for sure, find a local club & instructor. You'll save TONS of $$$$$ in the long run, and you'll definitely have more SAFE fun - which is the point of the whole thing.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
a70eliminator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a big area flat and smooth all open at least 200yds all around, Set your plane on the ground and get it moving away from you by gunning the throttle up and down while holding full up elevator, don't let it get going too fast at this point your just getting the feel of the controls, holding up elvator keeps the nose from planting unless you have a nose gear. Just practice the taxi away from you and then make a turn and bring it back to you, get good at that and then speed up until She lifts off and immediately back off and hold it level back to the ground without ever gaining any real altitude, as soon as feel it lift off back off throttle immediatley let it come back down smooth and level. Thats how I learned withpout any assistance whatsoever.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Frisbee. Easily get 10 second flights and no repair needed.

But if you are really interested in learning to fly RC, then buy a .40 sized trainer and skip the toys.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Get help learning to fly. Our club trains with a apprentice for free. Look into your local club. It will save you a lot of time, money and glue.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 PM
DeferredDefect

Hello, and welcome to R/C flying!

As you've discovered, it's all too easy for things to go wrong, but most of the foam Supercubs I've seen are still a great place to learn on.
There's no reason to spend money on a much larger glow model like some are suggesting for some bizarre reason, especially if you've got the Hobbyzone BNF Cub which is one of the best trainers out there.

Flying is all a matter of getting the orientation down, and then keeping ahead of the model at all times. This is easy if you have a plan, and know what to expect. Never just take-off without knowing what direction you are going to turn next.
For your first few flights, just focus on a regular circuit pattern in front of you at all times, with a nice, long downwind and upwind leg to give you time to breath, and a turn in the same direction at each end. Focus on keeping the wings level, and expect the orientation to be a bit funny when the model is flying towards you.
I found that slightly turning your body to be in the direction the model is flying makes it easier to figure out what inputs are needed if a wing drops...Just imagine you are in the cockpit.

Simulators are a great help with this sort of thing, and an instructor will definitely extend your aircrafts life-span.

As for your repair, you'll find that 50 people have 50 different fixes. You can use epoxy, which I'd personally go for, foam-safe CA, hot glue with tape, and probably 100 other adhesives. Epoxy is a guaranteed strong fix, though.

Happy flying, and good luck!

Last edited by DeferredDefect; 08-06-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
TheSaum

Thank you for the reply, DeferredDefect! I very much appreciate your very helpful post. The epoxy worked extremely well and I was able to take the plane out this morning. I spent a good 20 minutes on the ground, just trying to get a feel for the plane, making adjustments to the flaps and rudder, and playing with the throttle. I have experience with RC cars, but man is this ever a different experience. I can't help but notice how touchy the controls are. Anyways, was able to get the plane in the air for a solid minute (maybe more) before I made a hard landing (so hard it broke the nose cone and one of the power leads to the motor popped off, which I'll have to re-solder.

As for joining a club, I'll look into it at a later date. I'm flying down at a local school (using the track as a runway) and its a nice very large space. I've seen others fly down there before. Local club is $50 a year, which is a little pricey for me at the moment. I'm having much more fun learning on my own anyways!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 PM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You're going to spend more than $50 on crash repairs while you learn, probably double or triple that if you add in the value of your time. I truly understand not wanting to pay money for club fees and AMA membership when you could buy another plane, but what your money gets you in a club is knowledge. That Super Cub will come and go as your skills progress, but the knowledge that the club gives you will let you advance in the hobby to wherever you want to go.

So, sales pitch all done with, you've crashed your plane twice now because you haven't learned how to land. I'm not going to give you a hard time about that, although working with an instructor would have prevented it. Instead, I'm going to tell you how to learn landings.
1. Do taxi practice on the ground, focusing on keeping the plane as straight as possible. That will sharpen your rudder corrections and teach you to stay in control no matter what the plane is doing.
2. See how fast you can taxi without taking off. Do it in different wind conditions. That speed is your stall speed, which is also going to be just a touch slower than your landing speed.
3. Do little straight line hops, focusing on rising smoothly and settling back in smoothly. You'll have to work both the elevator and throttle to do this, which is the key to good landings. You'll also have to work the rudder to stay straight through it all, which is the key to not crashing. Don't get more than a foot off the ground when you do these. And do them in various wind conditions too.
4. When you can do hops on demand and each one is settling in with a nice flare, then it's time to do a real takeoff and landing. The approach (on a foamy Cub anyway) is just cutting power to the motor and letting it glide in. Be ready to raise the throttle and level off if you come in too hot. Actually, try to come in too hot on the first try and then lower your approach until you get it right. Once you are 2 feet or so off the ground, it's exactly the same as what you did with the hops.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:24 PM
domer1234

For beginner, It's very hard to control helicopter in the first time. you might should RC tiny helicopter for first play. Hope you play fun!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
kevink47

I have an Apprentice with SAFE and taught myself to fly.For 300.00 you can't go wrong,It is very forgiving and allows you to progress on your own.Even if I hadn 't discovered the Apprentice I would still have started with an electric high wing trainer with tricycle gear instead of a tail dragger.High wings are much easier to deal with.Keep at,you'll get the hang of it.

Last edited by kevink47; 08-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Bob of Aurora

Hello again, I see that you settled on using the Epoxy for the wing repair as I suggested. It should hold up well for you." jester" had some nice suggestions as to 1 foot high flights to get used to how to practice landings. "Kevin" suggested the Apprentice which has been the plane of choice for many new people in my club. The SAFE system will make your airplane stay level and help control it on landings. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. Bob