Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I'm Back! Need advice on upgrading my equipment

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I'm Back! Need advice on upgrading my equipment

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Hogpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Back! Need advice on upgrading my equipment

I've been out of the hobby for about 9 yrs, and now that my kids are older I'm getting back into it. In the past I've built and flown many types of aircraft (mostly gas). Currently I'm flying a twisted hobbies extra slick electric, and I'm using my older Futaba 72 MHz 7C with my old hitec charger that can handle lipo's and Astro blinky balancer. My flying skills have come back nicely and now I'm looking at upgrading some equipment. For now it looks like I'm gonna stick with electrics. I'm looking at some of the Dynam war birds. I think an 8 channel radio will do all I need. I've also noticed a lot of websites that sell electric, sell a spectrum/jr comparable micro receiver for around $20. So I'm looking at the Spectrum DX8.
I'm not looking to spend a ton, but i still want to get decent quality equipment.
For those of you who primarily fly electric and gas, what radio's do you like or recommend? and what type of charging/balancing equipment would you recommend for multiple types of electrics?

Thanks!

David
Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good afternoon David and do I detect an Astro Hog or maybe even a Smog Hog somewhere in your past ? Anyway welcome back. The 7C is an excellent radio and If I am not mistaken some versions are module types but some are not. If yours is a module type then many conversions are possible and I would suggest you look around a bit before locking into Spectrum. In forums like these the politically correct always say Spectrum but there are many more choices and some of us believe better choices.

John
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Hogpilot

John,
thanks for your help, and it was a Sig Hog Bipe.. Flew hands off on its maiden flight..
I will check into a conversion on my 7C, but the only thing I've noticed is the micro receivers are about double the cost for Futaba verses others... But that is still nota deal breaker.

thanks,
David
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Well I'd say the Futaba stuff is built better, but we've had enough radio vs. radio threads.

Be careful about using the Spektrum clone receivers if that's what you're talking about when you say "compatible receivers." The Orange and Lemon brand receivers (there may be others too) are very cheaply made and the end user gets to be the quality control tester. There are also fake Spektrum receivers on the market too, so buy from reputable companies.

As for chargers, take your pick among the ones that can put out the amps you need. I'm a fan of the type that charge straight through the balance plug for convenience's sake. I'm also a fan of having multiple chargers or a multi port charger so you can keep your batteries topped off better.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I converted my Futaba 9-C to 2.4 using a Hitec module, as John said, there are several good choices. Most of the bind and fly planes are JR Spektrum though if that means anything to you. For my smaller planes I use the RXs from aloft hobbies, way cheaper and work very well but I stick with the Hitec RXs on my better planes just for piece of mind.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Hogpilot

If i stay with Futaba, what receivers do y'all recommend?

thx
David
Old 09-20-2014, 04:34 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I am using about an equal number of FrSky receivers from Value Hobby and Futaba receivers. I have never been able to tell the difference between the two. The FrSky receivers are actually easier to bind than the Futaba.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That really depends on what you pick for a radio or module
Old 09-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
I am using about an equal number of FrSky receivers from Value Hobby and Futaba receivers. I have never been able to tell the difference between the two. The FrSky receivers are actually easier to bind than the Futaba.
One of the guys I fly with has been using the complete FrSky system and to date hasn't lost a plane due to the radio system. Not bad at all for a system at there prices. He is the one to put me onto aloft when I was looking for receivers I could afford.