Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Super Bingo with O. S. 160 Engine Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Super Bingo with O. S. 160 Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:27 PM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Bingo with O. S. 160 Engine Problems

I have the Super Bingo which have an O S 160 engine. I checked the tank and install a new glow plug. It runs for about 3min and soon as I throttle back it shuts off. It will crank back up but again when I throttle back it shuts off. I also notice that I have fuel coming from the exhaust after it shut off, could this be the problem or is this an indication that the engine is running hot?

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could be a problem with you having the fuel lines reversed?? Often they will run well until the fuel burns off and goes below the pressure line. Just a thought, I have done it more then once. That's one reason to test run the engines with only a half tank of fuel.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM
mrcoolpop

All the lines are install correctly.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What needle valve tweaking have you done?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:59 PM
mrcoolpop

Just on the high side which I only lean it out.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the engine mounted inverted or upright??

John
Old 04-04-2015, 05:08 PM
mrcoolpop

The engine is mounted inverted.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check that your fuel tank height relationship with the needle valve as spelled out in the owners manual is where is needs to be if not remount the tank at the height necessary to acheve this relationship with the needle valve/spray bar.

John
Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Gray Beard

Inverted I place the tank a bit lower then the center line, about 1/4 inch, sometimes a bit lower. Inverted my OS engines like the tank center line about 1/2 inch low or they flood and don't idle well.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:41 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

My experience with inverted engines (except gas) is nothing short of trouble. Better to bash and side mount, less headache. If you chose to leave inverted, suggest you run just a tad bit rich. If this causes the engine to load-up I have no other suggestions. Side mount.

Last edited by busted2props; 04-04-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Inverted engine trouble is usually an installation issue. I've been running them inverted for years with no problems.

Place the fuel tank as Grey Beard suggests and all should be good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2086471  
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Gray Beard

As John stated, the rule of thumb is the center line level with the spray bar but each engine has a mind of it's own. I don't use Saito but I do use OS and YS. YS isn't even in this topic, they don't care where the tank is located but all of my OS engines wanted the tanks center line bellow the spray bar or they didn't run well or flooded. I have no problems with an inverted four stroke but I have the tank center line about 1/4 to 1/2 inch low. I see a lot of problems with ARFs having the tank tray too high and guys not wanting to butcher there nice new plane just to lower the fuel tank then swearing at the engine. I have an old student that is that way and he keeps plodding along with flooding and dead sticks. His reason for going inverted was so he didn't have to cut up those really pretty cowls to mount the engine sideways to get it set correctly.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Inverted engines will run just as well as side mounted engines as long as the height relationship between the fuel tank and the spraybar is right. I've had multiple inverted engine planes that never had a hiccup because I took the time to put the tank where it needed to be.

You say it will run for 3 minutes, which I assume means that it will run at full throttle just fine. Have you done anything to tweak the low end needle? Have you brought the throttle down slowly to see at what point the engine doesn't run right anymore?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM
tzlaser
My Feedback: (-2)

I have an OS 160FX in a Nemesis, 80" ws, and it is mounted on its side. With 5% Morgan Omega and a 17x10 APC Pattern prop it easily turns over 8400 rpm with no issues. This is one fine OS, perhaps the best of any displacement they manufacture. One thing that will generally cause issues with any 2 cycle glow is mounting it inverted. Its just like asking for trouble. Why not mount upright or on its side using the stock or a Jtec Pitts muffler? Try installing the engine on a test stand so you can eliminate any tuning & run issues. Set your low speed for smooth transition & your hi-speed needle for max rpm & then reduce by 300 rpm or so. Using a good tachometer will help. Good luck & happy flying.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:13 PM
mrcoolpop

I'm thinking that it might be the tanks center line below the spray bar. This is something new to me and will do some research. This is also the first 2 stroke that I've inverted so hoping to find out tomorrow. Also, thanks for all the good info from such season group of guys.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:05 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

I would be inclined to think the tank would be too high if anything. An inverted engine should be able to run,idle, and accelerate just as well as a side mount or upright engine IF you get the tank at the right level and get the mixtures ( high and low speed) properly adjusted. I suggest you run the engine and get the mixtures properly set with the airplane upside down (engine upright). This may or may not be possible if the tank is way high or way low . assuming the level of the tank is more or less at the right level and you can the engine to run and throttle properly then you know the engine and the carb are not the issue. Then it is almost certainly a tank issue.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Proptip
My Feedback: (3)

Sometimes the OS 1.60 needs more muffler pressure than some engines. If using a Bisson muffler one exhaust tube should be plugged. A better solution is to use a fuel pump operated by crankcase pressure. I have 4 of these engines and they are very nice. I run VP30 pumps on all of them. It makes them very reliable and prevents lean engine runs which the 1.60 can do sometimes.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:27 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I would tinker with the settings first. Put the plane inverted in some sort of cradle so the engine is upright. Get the low end set so it will idle for and extended amount of time and still transition. Then flip it over, set the high and fly it. I would also install an OS "F" plug in it. This is a hotter plug that will help the idle.
If no improvement comes from that, then mess with the tank height. There are some plane where space Is limited and you cant get the tank in the right place. In this case you can use a header tank. You could also use an onboard glow driver to help with reliability.

David
Old 04-08-2015, 11:19 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Just like Proptip, I also have an FX 160 running with a Perry VP 30 regulator pump, this is a very reliable setup.. Btw, my engine is side mounted.

Craig.