Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Eneloop batteries for transmitter?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Eneloop batteries for transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:36 AM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eneloop batteries for transmitter?

I need to replace the original battery pack in my JR 9303. I've been considering the eneloop NiMH batteries. For those using them, what are your thoughts? Have they been reliable? Where have you purchased your packs? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Enloope is just the brand and I bought a big pack of them on Amazon for a lot less money then anyplace I have found. I also buy the same type from Target or one of the marts. You just need to watch the capacity on them and make sure they are 2200 mah. I haven't had any problems with them and I either take them to Batteries Plus and have the packs made up for me or buy the plastic holders at Radio Shack to make up some 4.8 volt packs I use in some of my small planes.
There only claim to fame is they don't self discharge, charger them today and use them next year. Other then that there is nothing special about them.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:07 PM
marmalade1

I've been using Eneloops for my tx for over a year now; they are ideal. I've charged mine 3 times in 12 months of weekly flying. Recharge and use. Easy.

They have a higher internal resistance than most nimh cells. Therefore they are not suited to high demand rx use as high demand will cause a big drop in voltage and may cause a brown-out as the Rx reboots.

I'm not sure how common this really is, but it's often debated here. Consensus seems to suggest low demand flying (trainer/gentle flight with analogue servos) is ok.

I consider Eneloop cells ideal for tx use.

PD.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:06 PM
ratshooter

Do these batteries take a special charger? Can I use a charger for NiCads? If buying a 2200ma battery and you charge it at 50ma do you charge them them for 44 hours? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I just heard of these a couple of days ago.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM
shleprock

Eneloop batteries are NiMH, so you need a charger for that type. I don't think a NiCad charger would work. My JR radio came with NiMH so I can use the charger it came with.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing special in the charger, Nicad and Nimh use the same charger. They have no memory so even cycling them isn't needed but I do it with new packs so they reach there full capacity just like any new nimh or nicad pack. A wall wart will work but yes, you have to figure out the charge time just like any other pack but I haven't used a wall wart in decades, if your going to be in the hobby for any time then a good charger is something you may as well buy now. I use three different brands of chargers. With the use of the lipo and life packs these days I have seen a lot of good chargers at the swap meet for next to nothing.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a hobby king life tx pack. 9.9 volts .. gt a life charger. Cheap chargers can do all chemistries if you close the right ones.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:57 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I use 2000 mAh Eneloops in my 9X2 (same as the 9303) & have done so for many years since they were first released.

I use a peak detecting Sky RC Ultimate 200W X2 charger on the ni-mh setting but the charger often shuts down
early & needs a few restarts before it settles down. I occasionally use a wall wart for a trickle charge.

I also use them for receivers & servos too. The discharge curves for these cells show they hold reasonable voltage under load
up to a current draw of about 2 amps, adequate for the average model (not all servos operate at full load all the time). For larger
models I use two eneloop packs via two switches into the reciever.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-for-eneloops

John.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put these into 3 transmitters. Love them. Charge overnight with a wall wart and forget about it.