Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Rookie Plane Selection

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Rookie Plane Selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:47 AM
kifidis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie Plane Selection

Hi guys

I want to start rc plane ı dont have any experience about plane but im 1/5 scale onroad and offroad racer.Anyway i cant choose anything which one is perfect for rookie rc plane pilot.

Materialepron Balsa or others
Model:which model is perfect
Character:I want smooth character not acro or sharp

Ty for advise have a nice day
Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Since cars and buggies are totally different than aircraft, I've got a couple of questions for you so we can actually help you:
1) Are you looking for a kit that requires complete assembly or an ARF that has all the parts pre-assembled?
2) Are you looking at electric or nitro power?
3) What do you mean by this-Character:I want smooth character not acro or sharp
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 AM
kifidis

Firstly thank you for reply
Dosent matter for me kit or rtf
it means when i try to turn right or left i dont want to sharp maneuver charactristic simply easy to fly
Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds like you might like a Kadet or something like one. Here's something to look at:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...E+senior+sport
Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 AM
kifidis

What do you think about depron kits its repair easier than to balsa kits.
I wonder if it same flight characteristic
Old 05-20-2016, 07:21 AM
jetmech05

Can't go wrong with an LT-40 from Sig. With an OS 46.
dont forget an instructor
Old 05-20-2016, 08:38 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with jetmech on the LT40, probably the best overall trainer ever to come down the pike. It is a rather large aircraft at 70 inch wingspan. Another good option is the Goldberg Eagle 2 or Eagle 63, virtually the same plane with the Eagle 2 a newer version. These are 63 inch wingspan, slightly smaller than the LT40, also very easy for a beginner to build, and fly quite well. Either is much better than a foam trainer as they will teach you building skills and ultimately repair skills. the other part of the RC airplane hobby.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:03 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LT - 40 will fly rings around any other trainer. Much better airfoil, more wing area, and the best instructions.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM
JollyPopper

Is the air foil on the LT 25 the same as the LT 40?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HighPlains
LT - 40 will fly rings around any other trainer. Much better airfoil, more wing area, and the best instructions.
Disagree. The RCM 40 will outfly the LT-40 in every caregory. But it is no longer available as an ARF and you have to build from plans.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5306
Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 PM
HighPlains

With it's fully symmetrical airfoil, the RCM 40 or 60 is really a high wing pattern airplane. Not really a basic trainer. It and the ugly Stik are great second airplanes.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:28 PM
JollyPopper

A basic trainer traditionally has a flat bottom wing with several degrees of dihedryl. This enables the plane to right itself if the pilot gets into trouble and simply take his hands off the controls. Will a fully symmetrical airfoil with no dihedryl do this? Or even a fully symmetrical wing with dihedryl?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 AM
HighPlains

It is really more a question of the decalage and the CG determining the self recovery of a trainer. A design like an Eagle 63 did have a completely flat airfoil and a reasonable amount of dihedral and flies OK. We added half ribs to one years ago to make the wing semi symmetrical and it flew about the same until we lowered the decalage. It had a higher wing loading than the Kadet LT-40.

After training literally hundreds of RC'ers over many years I found that certain models just get the job done better than others. No airplane design is perfect, even the LT-40 has design faults, but if I were to design one, it is what I would start with.

I trained a 10 year old kid to fly with one that we built together over the course of several months of Sunday afternoons. There were days where I considered glueing his hands to the bench and leaving for the afternoon, but eventually it was built with him doing the majority of construction and covering. He was a smart kid and a few years ago got his engineering degree. But after it was built we flew the wings off doing inside and outside loops, rolls, snap rolls, stall turns, inverted flight and lots of touch n goes. After about a hundred flights or so he broke one wingtip from walking into a gate. So we clipped the wing one bay on each side and flew the high wing loading LT-40. While it still flew good, I missed the extra area. He loved the extra performance, and soon we we building a 4-Star 40 which matched his abilities in building and flying very well.

So I am a believer in the right design and logical follow-on models for success. Too often people pick a poor trainer, and more often than not get a second design that is just too much airplane. Instead of building up flying skills they become afraid of the model and avoid certain aspects of flight because their comfort level.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 AM
gunnarmm

Get something with an asymmetrical airfoil (curved on top and flat on bottom) with a big, high wing and plenty of power. I used a Hobbico Superstar 40 with an OS 46 engine and it worked great. Very stable and visible.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:06 AM
ratshooter

This is close to the RCM trainer. I have had a couple in the past and they fly well. I have a new one I built a few months ago but haven't flown it yet.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/krafty60.html

I learned to fly in 1979 with a Das Little Stik. I had a little help but mostly learned to fly (and crash) all by myself.