Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sim to real life transitioning

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sim to real life transitioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:34 AM
Rockin Robbins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you want to use a large, expensive, aerobatic biplane as a primary trainer? Now if you are training on a buddy box with a qualified instructor, he's comfortable flying the plane and will consent to teaching you to fly with it, this is not an impossible or dangerous situation. But finding such an instructor will be a very rare thing as most instructors will insist on a plane designed as a trainer.

Many clubs have a club trainer airplane, so don't panic yet. As a matter of fact, if the club you join has a club trainer, by all means learn on their trainer and don't buy anything yet. Learn from other people's successes and failures. Talk to other club members. Get acquainted with their planes. Learn!!! Then you'll buy a plane you'll have much more fun with than if you buy now.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Are you sure you want to use a large, expensive, aerobatic biplane as a primary trainer?
Where did you get that idea from? I'm buying an eflite apprentice.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Johnnysplits

Apprentice ordered! Should have it by the end of next week.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion as an instructor for over 35 years . Let the instructor take the lead and just follow what they say to start with. After a few flights most will almost just back off some and just give advice and let you do your thing ~~ unless you get to where you act like a know it all, then a good one will just leave you alone., period . A good instructor will end up being a good friend if you treat them that way . In over 35 years I've gained some great friends / flying buddies and have only DUMPED about 3 know it all students . Remember ~~ you are asking the instructor for his help and his time, use it WISELY . Good luck !!!! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by red head
Just my opinion as an instructor for over 35 years . Let the instructor take the lead and just follow what they say to start with. After a few flights most will almost just back off some and just give advice and let you do your thing ~~ unless you get to where you act like a know it all, then a good one will just leave you alone., period . A good instructor will end up being a good friend if you treat them that way . In over 35 years I've gained some great friends / flying buddies and have only DUMPED about 3 know it all students . Remember ~~ you are asking the instructor for his help and his time, use it WISELY . Good luck !!!! ENJOY !!! RED
Thank you. I was going to give it a go on my own for a few flights, then join a club. I've been really killing it on the sim. I bounce around from flying the apprentice to a lot of other much more difficult planes on the sim and been doing very well in all different wind conditions. But I do want to join a club. Bay City Flyers in Pasco are having a fly-in next weekend and I'm going. They don't have an asphalt runway, but they are a lot closer to me than TRAC in Mango.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:57 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent Johnny I am tickled to see you are going to heed what many have been saying here and as redhead put it so well in his posts just above.

You do not need an asphalt runway at all especially with the Apprentice in fact a grass or earthen runway may even be preferable. Its the people that make the diff at any field and it is they that should be included in any decision about selecting a field. Naturally a single contact is not going to do in that decision.

If you would have gone ahead and tried to make a few flights as you posted before getting involved in the club the most common result would have been lite to severe damage and a high percentage of people loose interest at that point without ever giving a mentor a chance.

So back to your original question. Sims are simply not all that for total self teaching, What they are is extremely useful teaching tools when used as intended in conjunction with and simultaneously with a real time mentor (instructor). Also I have experimented with most all the so called auto pilots, wing levelers or single/dual axis stability augumentation systems since the first available for model aircraft and that was the israli built BTE back about the early ninetys and most have worked sorta. But as a training aid right up to the most current without expert help they just become airplane killers. If one attempts to use these things as a learning crutch it just a really bad idea.

So Johnny enjoy the adventure and keep us posted every step of the way

John
Old 09-04-2016, 05:50 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Excellent Johnny I am tickled to see you are going to heed what many have been saying here and as redhead put it so well in his posts just above.

You do not need an asphalt runway at all especially with the Apprentice in fact a grass or earthen runway may even be preferable. Its the people that make the diff at any field and it is they that should be included in any decision about selecting a field. Naturally a single contact is not going to do in that decision.

If you would have gone ahead and tried to make a few flights as you posted before getting involved in the club the most common result would have been lite to severe damage and a high percentage of people loose interest at that point without ever giving a mentor a chance.

So back to your original question. Sims are simply not all that for total self teaching, What they are is extremely useful teaching tools when used as intended in conjunction with and simultaneously with a real time mentor (instructor). Also I have experimented with most all the so called auto pilots, wing levelers or single/dual axis stability augumentation systems since the first available for model aircraft and that was the israli built BTE back about the early ninetys and most have worked sorta. But as a training aid right up to the most current without expert help they just become airplane killers. If one attempts to use these things as a learning crutch it just a really bad idea.

So Johnny enjoy the adventure and keep us posted every step of the way

John
Thank you and I will! I'm very excited to be getting into flying!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 AM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I use RealFlight 7.5, and one thing I've found is that it it harder to get the plane lined up with the runway than 17 years ago when I last flew RC at the club. (Flight training will resume next spring.)
In a sim, one does not have the benefit of peripheral vision. It cab be tougher to know exactly where the plane is in relation to the field.
The Wright Flyer is a real put-putt, and the Nexstar and PT-40 seem to 'fight' the controls, probably due to the dihedral in the wings. The Sig Senior (or Seniorita, don't recall which right now and I'm on the wrong computer) is a joy to fly. I generally get it down in one piece. Except when I get irritated and lawn dart it! Rather like Gomez Addams and his trains!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I use RealFlight 7.5, and one thing I've found is that it it harder to get the plane lined up with the runway than 17 years ago when I last flew RC at the club. (Flight training will resume next spring.)
In a sim, one does not have the benefit of peripheral vision. It cab be tougher to know exactly where the plane is in relation to the field.
Now I don't have that issue with the Phoenix 5.5 There's a tab called "keep ground in view" and I haven't had any problems lining up with the runway.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Johnnysplits

Rather like Gomez Addams and his trains!
Don't mention trains!! lol Thank God I have zero room in my apartment for a model railroad layout!! R/C has nothing on model railroading cost wise...and I loved it back when I had the room for it.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Johnnysplits

Once I master the apprentice, I'm going to get right into where I want to be...giant scale gas. So, this will be plane #2...http://www.maxfordusa.com/mentor-g26cctrainer.aspx
Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Johnny I hope you realize the jump from that little foamy trainer the Apprentice to that large gasser trainer is a huge one indeed. Regardless of how you think you may have mastered the Apprentice. There is no way that you can effectively learn that airplane after just the apprentice by yourself. If and this is a big if indeed you really want to be successful with that airplane and are willing to understand that flying that airplane is going to require your willingness to enlist a trusted instructor to buddy box you and in addition this is going to take a little while and certainly not just a few flights.

John
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I never discourage being self taught... but you have to enjoy rebuilding...

My biggest worry is how many easy ways there are to get hurt , or hurt someone with a big engine. reinforced firewall, nobody in front of, or next to it any longer than needed when its running. secured down ..restrained while running. And , and, and...
I always pray I never hurt anyone in this hobby...
Old 09-04-2016, 10:28 AM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
Don't mention trains!! lol Thank God I have zero room in my apartment for a model railroad layout!! R/C has nothing on model railroading cost wise...and I loved it back when I had the room for it.
I should go get a small track piece assortment so I can finish the double crossover.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...ion-(HO-scale)
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...039#post431039
Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 AM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown the Apprentice. While it is an excellent trainer and does exactly what it was designed to do, there are a few things to be aware of. I've noticed that, while the SAFE technology is quite effective, it can end up being a bit of a ...crutch, if you will pardon the expression. It limits the amount of bank angle no matter how much you move the stick. The one I flew belonged to a beginner. While doing a pre-flight check of the plane, I noticed the extreme amount of throws on all surfaces, The owner, who had been flying it for a few weeks at this point, said not to worry about it because the SAFE feature takes care of that, and it did. The problem with all of that is once you disable the SAFE, (which you will want to do as soon as your skills will allow) you now have a plane that is far too sensitive for a low-time pilot! Before you head to the field, take the time to adjust the throws (about 30 degrees each way on ailerons and elevator, 45 degrees each way on the rudder) And ,by all means, find an instructor! Regardless of all of this great technology, you still have to land the thing. That's where things get really interesting. Take your time and go about this the right way, and you'll have a blast!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 AM
born2build

Maybe a Sig Kadet Senior would be a better choice? There are a number of smaller gas engines that would be great in that plane, and it's such a sweet flier. Still a flat- bottom airfoil, though.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:49 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be nervous about that tail dragger set-up on that Mentor as a new pilot.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 PM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I'd be nervous about that tail dragger set-up on that Mentor as a new pilot.
Back before pattern fliers started using trike gear, and soon everyone else was as well, taildragger's were how people learned to fly. Find a good instructor and learn how. May as well. You'll be flying one eventually anyway.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:03 PM
born2build

It's been so long since I've owned a trike, I'm not sure I can remember what it was! There are any number of conventional gear airplanes available that are real *****cats, both on the ground and in the air. My personal, all-time favorite is the Great Planes Super Sportster series, the SS-60 being best of all, although you gotta (get to?) build that one. However, it is one of the easiest kits to build available. After you've flown the snot out of your Apprentice, make this your 2nd airplane and your first kit build. It uses a thick, symmetrical airfoil with a blunt leading edge. It has a wide-stance main gear and a long tail moment. These design features allow it to be fully aerobatic with a wider speed range, better wind penetration, low landing speeds, and excellent ground handling. If you absolutely refuse to build a kit (sigh), then the Super Sportster 40 Is the logical choice. Trust me on this, you won't be disappointed. Just follow the excellent instructions to the letter, and keep your instructor handy for those first few flights! If you insist on going electric (not that there's anything wrong with that), There's a 48'' EP version as well. So, pick your poison and have at it!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Johnnysplits

Yes, I hear what all of you are saying. However, by the time I get the money together for that big gas trainer, I'll have AMA insurance, be a club member and have an instructor help me with it. Besides, the bigger they are, the easier they fly right? lol
Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM
born2build

In that case, by all means, for the gas trainer.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Johnnysplits

I should go get a small track piece assortment so I can finish the double crossover.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...ion-(HO-scale)
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...039#post431039
Wow!!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by born2build
I have flown the Apprentice. While it is an excellent trainer and does exactly what it was designed to do, there are a few things to be aware of. I've noticed that, while the SAFE technology is quite effective, it can end up being a bit of a ...crutch, if you will pardon the expression. It limits the amount of bank angle no matter how much you move the stick. The one I flew belonged to a beginner. While doing a pre-flight check of the plane, I noticed the extreme amount of throws on all surfaces, The owner, who had been flying it for a few weeks at this point, said not to worry about it because the SAFE feature takes care of that, and it did. The problem with all of that is once you disable the SAFE, (which you will want to do as soon as your skills will allow) you now have a plane that is far too sensitive for a low-time pilot! Before you head to the field, take the time to adjust the throws (about 30 degrees each way on ailerons and elevator, 45 degrees each way on the rudder) And ,by all means, find an instructor! Regardless of all of this great technology, you still have to land the thing. That's where things get really interesting. Take your time and go about this the right way, and you'll have a blast!
Thanks for that. I was just going to start on intermediate then advanced. Beginner on the sim is a joke. The throws are too short on beginner. But I've really been flying the crap out of it on advanced in the sim. And the landings are great!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Last weekend at my field there was a new flier with an Apprentice. I was amazed how slowly and gently that plane flies. Flying into the wind he actually made it hover. I would not mind getting one myself even though I like glow powered planes.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:22 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Last weekend at my field there was a new flier with an Apprentice. I was amazed how slowly and gently that plane flies. Flying into the wind he actually made it hover. I would not mind getting one myself even though I like glow powered planes.
I just ordered a kit for the Sig Rascal. This will be my second one. Talk about a sweet flier! The first one was E-powered. The next one...undecided. I have a Supertigre X15 that would be perfect for it. But it flew so well on a speed 400. Whatever shall I do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.