Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best Second Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: Second Plane
Tower cub
9.68%
Avistar Elite
9.68%
Great Planes Cherokee
6.45%
Other
74.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Best Second Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:23 PM
skyflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Second Plane

Hey, I am a self taught flier, and I have a tower trainer 40 and like it. But it is getting kinda boring and I would like a second plane. I was thinking of a Tower Hobbies 1/5 Piper J-3 40 Cub or a Avistar Elite. I was also considering the great planes cherokee arf. I have been practicing on real flight 7.5 and am getting pretty good along with flying my trainer. I am leaning towards the cub, but I was wondering if that is to ambitious. Thank you for any replies.

P.S. I say my Trainer is my first plane but I have had several smaller foamies like the hobbyzone super cub s.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plane...etc 061.JPG
Views:	1990
Size:	881.1 KB
ID:	2193542  
Old 12-15-2016, 02:08 PM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

Hi- I would opt for the Cub ARF, as it's a nice scale plane, easy to fly, and will give u some tail wheel experience, since ur trainer is tri-cycle gear. One thing about a Cub, is to NOT overcontrol on ur takeoffs. With the superb wing design of the Cub, applying power smoothly on ur takeoff run, it will fly itself off the ground with a little right rudder input. I suggest practice ground handling with the Cub by just giving enough power to initiate a takeoff roll, and see how it reacts when the tail lifts off the ground, see how much rudder input u need, and then cut power, and taxi it back to u. Do this several times until u get the feel for its ground habits. By the time u have done this several times, u can increase power, and it should lift off nicely, and use a little rudder to co-ordinate ur turns with the ailerons. Let us know what u decide- Good Luck-- Dean
Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM
skyflier

Thanks for the reply, I will let everyone know what I get but it probably won't be till next spring/summer sometime. I am am just trying to get a bit of research in before spring.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:22 PM
krokodyl

Hmm. Everyone at my club seems to recommend a lowing like the cherokee, goldberg tiger or sig 4 star as a next plane. The avistar elite is going to fly similar to you trainer in low rates, but much better aerobatics in high rates. A lowing airplane will probably be even more aerobatic capable. A cub will teach you taildragger takoffs, and probably rudder on turns.

Hard choice, but mine would be a sig 4 star. It's a low wing, and a tail dragger, teaching 2 new things, but at the same time probably not to hard to fly if setup correctly.

Hubert
Old 12-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig Four star or Hangar 9 pulse - something along those lines should be a good second plane. If you are in a club you should ask your clubmates too as they will know how advanced you are.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Desertlakesflying

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by deanz406
Hi- I would opt for the Cub ARF, as it's a nice scale plane, easy to fly, and will give u some tail wheel experience, since ur trainer is tri-cycle gear. One thing about a Cub, is to NOT overcontrol on ur takeoffs. With the superb wing design of the Cub, applying power smoothly on ur takeoff run, it will fly itself off the ground with a little right rudder input. I suggest practice ground handling with the Cub by just giving enough power to initiate a takeoff roll, and see how it reacts when the tail lifts off the ground, see how much rudder input u need, and then cut power, and taxi it back to u. Do this several times until u get the feel for its ground habits. By the time u have done this several times, u can increase power, and it should lift off nicely, and use a little rudder to co-ordinate ur turns with the ailerons. Let us know what u decide- Good Luck-- Dean
Awesome idea!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:24 PM
ratshooter

Like a lot of folks I like the "Stik" type models especially for a second plane. A Great Planes big stick 40 would work for a second plane and can be set up for easy trainer type flying or with the throws increased will do all the basic aerobatics. Another good choice if you don't want the Stik look is great Planes Easy Sport 40 ARF. I just put one of those together and its a fine model. Easy on low rates and a real stunter on high rates. I changed mine to a tail dragger set up. An easy mod to do. Here is a couple of pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-016S (2).JPG
Views:	2397
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2193551   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-017S (2).JPG
Views:	2341
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2193552   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018S (2).JPG
Views:	2089
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2193553  
Old 12-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Desertlakesflying

Go with a cub as a second plane, and a low wing will be a piece of cake as a third.

Personally a Cub should be your 1st and 2nd plane.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:27 PM
skyflier

Yes, I thought about a big stick but i'm not so sure about the design it doesn't look to stable. Thank you to everybody for the great input so far.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:29 PM
skyflier

desertlakes I am really considering the cub, I figure I could build it this winter and then fly it when the weather warms up.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:21 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

skyflier, Lots of good suggestions have been offered for a second plane. My suggestion is for you to convert your Tower Trainer 40 (a great trainer BTY) into a taildragger. This will give you taildragger experience on a plane that you are already comfortable with. This will also put some interest back into flying this plane that you already have. Flying a taildragger is only different for landings and takeoffs. Once in the air, it is the same as the tricycle gear you have learned on. Just different techniques needed on the ground. This will make the transition to a Cub or any other taildragger smooth and easy for you. So your "second' plane should be your "first" plane, "phase 2". As far as what to buy next, the Tower Cub is a good flying semi scale J-3 and would be fine after flying your Tower Trainer as a taildragger for a bit. I you want a low wing, the Sig 4-star is hard to beat plus it is also a taildragger. It is available as an ARF or a kit, both 40 and 60 size. The Goldberg Tiger is also a nice low wing but only sold now as a kit, both 40 and 60 size. If you only want an ARF, the Great Planes Easy Sport 40 suggested by ratshooter is low cost and a very capable flyer. Take each step as you advance "one step at a time" and you will do well. Enjoy !
Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 PM
ratshooter

Originally Posted by skyflier
Yes, I thought about a big stick but i'm not so sure about the design it doesn't look to stable. Thank you to everybody for the great input so far.
The planes based on the Ugly Stick design are some of the best flying models you can get. Thats why it has been such a popular design since the middle 60s when it first came out. Plus all the spin offs trying to cash in on the planes popularity. The Cubs are nice and I even have an ARF 80" wingspan set aside for when I get around to building it but one of the Stck type models will fly circles around a Cub. Literally.

Of course get what makes you happiest but you did ask for suggestions and not validation of your choice. And cubs are my favorite airplane of all time. I would love to go for a ride in one. I have owned 3 40 sized cub models and a quarter scale cub from balsa usa. I have also owned 2 little stiks, 2 sweet stiks and a GP stik 40. So I sort of know what I am talking about when I suggested a Stick 40 to you.

Read through this thread and you will find nothing but praise for the basic stik design.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gold...gly-stick.html

Last edited by ratshooter; 12-15-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 PM
tony0707

Work your way up to a 60 stik with an OS 75AX -- taildrager
The larger airframe do fly better and easier to see in the air
i have 25 planes - flying 23 years a lot - build al my stuff
You will always go back to the stik from time to time
My 40 size Midwest Ugly Stick ( a classic ) is one of the best flying most forgiving 40 size plane in its size class
Both the 40 and 60 size Stiks will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling after a day at the field
Build your wing on both with some slight diheadral for them to fly there very best

You can view my planes on my Gallery on the left of this post

Enjoy
Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

How skilled are you at flying your current plane?? Many people never truly master fying their trainer--they are just disturbing its flight path enough to make it back to the start point... keep flying it and push the envelope with it.. can you put it where you want it 100% of the time? do you know how to use the rudder?? can you fly in a 10mph cross wind? can you fly when its 15mph down the runway?? challenge yourself to push the trainer to its limits.. not yours.. Your trainer will probably do a rolling circle-- can you make it do one?? any of the planes suggested are fine for a second plane... i would get the super sport or maybe a kaos arf.. cheap and good flyers... of course the cub would give you something scale to fly and could stick around a long time in your hangar..
Old 12-16-2016, 05:23 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2walla, those are excellent questions. Another I would ask is are you looking for another ARF or do you want to build a plane instead of buying just another cookie cutter plane that looks like the next guy's?
Can you do figure 8s? Can you do 10 touch and go without ground looping or nosing over? Do you know how to stay ahead of the plane and how to get out of trouble without crashing?
What I have been witnessing in my club is the preponderance of foamy ARFs with what is called the SAFE system which allows the lazy pilot to flick a switch every time he feels the least bit uncomfortable flying. A pilot learns nothing from this. He is only steering it around in circles and
never learns what it takes to remain out of trouble or for that matter learning to really fly a plane. They will never progress beyond that. They have limited themselves to flying only one kind of plane....one that will take over for them should they stumble the least little bit.
Companies like Horizon and Tower have done a great disservice to the hobby community with this kind of nonsense. We have people in our club who fly only these types of planes and my attitude towards these people is not worth mentioning.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:41 AM
skyflier

Originally Posted by 2walla
How skilled are you at flying your current plane?? Many people never truly master fying their trainer--they are just disturbing its flight path enough to make it back to the start point... keep flying it and push the envelope with it.. can you put it where you want it 100% of the time? do you know how to use the rudder?? can you fly in a 10mph cross wind? can you fly when its 15mph down the runway?? challenge yourself to push the trainer to its limits.. not yours.. Your trainer will probably do a rolling circle-- can you make it do one?? any of the planes suggested are fine for a second plane... i would get the super sport or maybe a kaos arf.. cheap and good flyers... of course the cub would give you something scale to fly and could stick around a long time in your hangar..
Well I think I am pretty skilled but that is just my opinion. I can normally land where I want to, and I know how to use my rudder. But I have never flown in over 10mph wind. I have also never really tried any aerobatics but I have done 2 deadsticks and landed on the runway both times. That being said you raise a very interesting point maybe I should master some aerobatics with my trainer first.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 AM
skyflier

I have a confession to make, I had a plane with SAFE(super cub s) but it got boring and I sold it soon after.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 AM
jetmech05

4 star 6
Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by krokodyl
Hmm. Everyone at my club seems to recommend a lowing like the cherokee, goldberg tiger or sig 4 star as a next plane.
Hard choice, but mine would be a sig 4 star. It's a low wing, and a tail dragger, teaching 2 new things, but at the same time probably not to hard to fly if setup correctly.

Hubert
SIG 4Star ... I bought mine in 2006, have changed covering 3 times, and still fly it to re-train myself after my skills have decayed after a long winter.

The first time I flew it was in Marana, Az at a dusty dirt airfield. Had an OS .91 4stroke in it. Taxied to take off with full-up on the elevator. Gave it half throttle, went from full-up elevator to neutral elevator, and the thing simply lifted into the air. It was so easy to fly. But it tends to float when trying to land. A few years ago I shortened the wing ... removed a couple of bays from both left and right so now the wingspan is 64" ... makes for improved aerobatic performance.

Check out this video. The 4Star is the orange plane with the Normandy invasion stripes on the fuselage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5t1w98ET0&t=65s

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-16-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:14 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

easily hand's down overall consensus would be a STIK aircraft.... as the best 2nd plane to get....
Old 12-16-2016, 09:22 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
Rolling circle... What is that old buddy?

Bob
Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Desertlakesflying

Get a Hangar 9 cub from horizon hobby, they fly better. If you arent in a hurry get the 15cc carbon cub when back in stock then you can learn flaps too on a plane you dont have to use them on until you are ready.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet another vote for a Stick. The bigger the better.

An alternative which is a little easier on the eye is any of the Black Horse Air series. http://www.blackhorsemodel.com.vn/?p...sport-low-wing
Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 AM
skyflier

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Get a Hangar 9 cub from horizon hobby, they fly better. If you arent in a hurry get the 15cc carbon cub when back in stock then you can learn flaps too on a plane you dont have to use them on until you are ready.
I might get the hanger 9 cub if I was loaded lol. But my problem with it is that if I crash I ruined a much more expensive plane then say a big stick.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:41 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by skyflier
that's part of the fun, you have to fly the plane, the plane will not fly/correct itself....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.