Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Guy with Project Idea

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Guy with Project Idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:03 AM
BobbyFromBUF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with Project Idea

Hey there,

This is my first post. Thanks for allowing me to join.

I know basically nothing about RC. Well, that's not true, I know it's extremely complicated and expensive, hah.

Anyways, I'm a complete novice, but I have a project idea that I'd like to complete by June 3, 2017. I'd like to build an RC MSE-6 "Mouse Droid" from Star Wars: Episode VI - A New Hope.

In the film, this small droid is moving along when Chewbacca growls at it. It quickly turns around and speeds away.

I would like my droid to make the sound effects, and be able to cruise around at Comic Conventions, etc....

My goal is to build an RC capable of maintaining relatively low speeds for long periods of time. With occasional short bursts of acceleration.

So that's it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking for:
-long battery life (over 1 hour)
-high speed not necessary
-prefer 4wd
-prefer RTR
-most likely thinking smaller than 1/10 scale, but open to 1/10 if it would make my project easier.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:39 AM
ratshooter

I had to look up Mouse Droid. I didn't know if it flew or was a car of some sort. Star Wars is way out of my age bracket. I see it is a wheeled vehicle. You might want to post your question in the RC Car forum. We are pretty much airplane guys here. And why June 3rd? If its already a small droid why would you want it to be 1/10 scale? It would be 1/10th of the already small size. And RC is not extremely complicated or expensive. If it were I couldn't do it. But it can be complicated and expensive if you want it to be.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:52 PM
BobbyFromBUF

Thanks Ratshooter. Sorry, I must have made a mistake when choosing the location to post.

The Droid is small, but I'm thinking that I want to start the project with a 1/10 scale car, truck, or buggy. I want the Droid itself to be close to 1:1 scale.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:20 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You could do what they did on the original film, which was to buy a commercially made RC car and then fabricate a body for it. They probably used the lid off a plastic trash can painted black and with those spikey things added. I'd probably use some thin plywood and do a good finishing job on it if I couldn't find a suitable trash can. A $20 toy grade on road type car would do the trick. As for the sounds, it's simple enough to pair your phone with a Bluetooth speaker and have it tweet and chirp to your heart's content. If you want to control those things with your RC transmitter, that would require setting up an Arduino or similar product to play sound files in response to your commands.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:21 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, and welcome to the forum. As Ratshooter mentioned, this is the aircraft beginner's forum. But stay a while and learn about the hobby if you have time. It's what got me interested initially.