Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Magnum 52 XLS. 2 stroke ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Magnum 52 XLS. 2 stroke ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:54 AM
vwitte
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 52 XLS. 2 stroke ?

i decided to buy a 52XLS (2 stroke) engine used. Does anyone know where to buy parts or who now distributes these engines? I need to rebuild. Both bearings, sleeve and crank.
Also any info on a Jett, or Macs muffler ?
thanks
Distributer?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Great little engine, that being said Global Hobbies the main US Magnum dealer is gone from what I have read. This may leave you with REAL PROBLEM finding parts. ASP is the same engine and sold in the UK?
The mufflers you mention are for 2 strokes and will not work on a 4 stroke.
From the sound of things the engine you want is shot, it would cost you more to rebuild that it's worth in good condition.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:32 AM
vwitte

Thanks the 52XLS is a 2 stroke. Your right I may not waste my time rebuilding.
I wanted to rebuild with new parts, but it may not be worth it
Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Sorry about that I have a 52 XLS Haven't run it for years and forgot about it completely.......Blue head. Had quite a few 52 4 strokes over the years.....
Old 08-05-2017, 06:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No way I'd rebuild it. It's not a particularly valuable or good engine brand new, so it doesn't make sense to put parts into it. I'd oil it and put it in my junk box. You may run across another one cheap later on that you can take parts off of to make one good engine.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:36 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw a piece here on RCU where some Magnums are being sold here in the US including the XLS 52 ($79) at https://www.mikegoesflying.com/
I have 4 xls 52s and they are powerful running engines equal to the OS 55. I originally purchased 4 to put on a 96" wingspan B17 but decided that I didn't have the confidence that all 4 would run reliable with pitts mufflers. I have 3 mounted on a Kwikfly, a lanier F4, and a Midwest Strike Commander.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM
tollibo

According to their FAQ, you can contact them for parts support
https://www.mikegoesflying.com/frequ...ked-questions/
Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like I am late again.

I have a 52 2s and this engine is a real screamer. Tons of power. They did have an issue with a rich mid range though. There is a baffle in the muffler, it really quiets the sound. If you take it out, it helps with the mid range as it would generate a lot of pressure to the fuel tank. I drilled #20 holes where the baffle was punched. I still have good pressure and a good mid range. They are great engines.

Boca bearing may have a set of bearing for cheap?

Buzz.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Hobby King sells the liner and piston for the ASP for 18 and change, but they're out of stock. Whether they'll get any more in is anybody's guess. Not knocking Mike Goes Flying's prices by any means, but agree with the guys, you're looking at the cost of a new engine to replace the cylinder, crank and bearings. If it'll crank, I'd fly the snot out of it until I burned it up or else I'd take Jester's advice and hang on to it until you tear up another one.