Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Float installation

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Float installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float installation

I am currantly putting floats on my 1/4 scale Taylorcraft. The way I understand the plans for the floats ( Sig floats ) I have followed the instructions but these floats were intended for a 1/4 scale cub and the cub is narrower than the Taylorcraft. So I have had to make my own wire supports. However, the floats, if I install them this way, look too far apart. I have a Piper cub on floats, which I built, and has only a 72 in wing span and from this plane, even thoe smaller, by comparison, the float distance apart doesn't look right. What should the correct distance be? Should I base it on a percentage of the fusalage at its widest point? Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The floats should be 18% to 25% of the wingspan wide. 18% is scale, 25% is sport. Take your pick of anything in between. The floats should be 75% of the length from prop washer to rearmost part of rudder. The step should be on or not more than a 1/4 inch behind the CG. The floats should be dead level to the horizontal stabilizer, not the wing. Follow these tips and you will have great success.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"desertlakesflying" is 100% correct, particularly about the incidence of the floats. And you will find that the 25% spacing makes the model a lot less likely to turn turtle in a cross wind taxi.

On a model with significant downthrust in the engine (2* or more), in order to prevent the floats from "plowing", I have had best results with the step slightly ahead of the CG.

Last edited by jrf; 12-17-2017 at 09:10 AM.