Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with first RC build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with first RC build

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 PM
daltonv297

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with first RC build

A group of fellow aviation enthusiasts and I decided to take on a project of building an RC plane, and being very ambitious we bought the BlitzRCWorks SR-71 from BananaHobby. It's the kit version too, so we ordered all of the recommended parts on the product page, but it seems like we're missing some things. We thought we could just follow the instructions that came with the kit, but it turns out they're not very detailed and probably aimed at more advanced builders. So, considering we have bit off a lot more than we can chew, I'm looking for some help.

Is there anyone who has experience building this particular model? If so, it would be great to know how to connect each of the ESCs and the servos to the battery and receiver. It doesn't seem like the cables play nice with each other—am I missing some interface potentially? Also, a point in the direction of resources for beginning RC enthusiasts in general would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Well first, does anyone in your group have a few years experience flying RC planes and has that person ever flown an EDF plane ?
If the answer is no then this is not a plane for the inexperienced flyer and BH is not a good company for the first time flyer. You have spent a bit of money so far and it would be a shame to pile a $250.00+ plane into the ground before you learn how to fly. This plane would be something to consider after you have mastered flying an intermediate class airplane.

I would recommend buying a good beginner plane from a reputable company and learn how to fly that first. A beginner plane will help you to learn and when(not if) you crash a reputable company will be there to provide parts and technical help when required and will stand behind their product. I would suggest a ready-to-fly beginner plane from Horizon Hobby.

As far as connecting the components to the receiver ,it really depends on what type of radio system you purchased. On all receivers there are ports for Throttle, Ailerons, Elevator, and Rudder. The ESC's would connect via a "Y" harness to the throttle port and one of the ESc's will provide power to the receiver when the battery is connected. The other ports connect to the planes control surfaces servos. Some may connect directly, some may require a "Y" harness....it depends on how the model is constructed.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:15 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Just remember that even reputable companies can also file bankruptcy.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and fitness gurus can still die of heart attacks......................

Either way it's got nothing to do with the OP getting in over his head without a rope.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:12 PM
oliveDrab

Default First plane

An SR-71 as your first build is not a good idea. An SR-71 can be an uncontrollable wild beast - it doesn't have a lot of wing on it to provide stability. I have never flown a plane like this with such a minimal wingspan but I'm guessing it doesn't fly slow real well. If it gets too slow it might just fall to the ground. Fly it with adequate power at all times.

It would be better to have a high-wing trainer such as a LT-40 or an Apprentice as your first plane.

I just now read 5 reviews about the Banana Hobby SR-71 29.5" wingspan. All reviewers liked it a lot but a few said they wished it was less prone to dents and made out of a better foam such as EPO. You bought the kit version? If you had bought the RTF version you wouldn't have to deal with installing components such as the ESC. They're already installed. To get the RTF version into the air all you have to do is:

1. Glue (epoxy) front fuselage to back fuselage. Glue(epoxy) both vertical stabilizers to rear fuselage.
2. Charge your 4-cell Lipo.
3. Go fly.
Note: there are no operational rudders on this SR-71.

Good luck!
oliveDrab
ps: check out this video of a turbine powered SR-71:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	apprentice.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2253870  
Attached Images  

Last edited by oliveDrab; 02-08-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Is that an SR-71 or a YF-12? Every SR I've seen was painted with the pure black anti-radar paint while the YF-12 wasn't
Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 AM
oliveDrab

Default Yf-12

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Is that an SR-71 or a YF-12? Every SR I've seen was painted with the pure black anti-radar paint while the YF-12 wasn't
Good eye ... might be a YF-12.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-12 YF12A SR71 family.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2254060  
Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's an A-12. The back end of the YF-12 is different, it has protrusions below the rudders, and the back of the fuselage is longer on an SR-71.