Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

3 Channel or safe mode for beginners?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

3 Channel or safe mode for beginners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 Channel or safe mode for beginners?

Would I be better off purchasing a hobbyzone champ to learn how to fly without the safe mode followed by purchasing a 4 channel aircraft, or would it be better to buy a safe mode technology aircraft and try transitioning into stabilization free flight that way, to accomplish 4 channel stabilization free flight and possibly do aerobatics?

Last edited by obrien135; 04-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO starting off with the really small pilot assisted airplanes will teach you bad habits that will have to be corrected once you progress to larger un assisted airplanes. I still feel it is better to locate a local club, spend a few hours out there, make contact with one of the club instructors and have them outline a training program for you. Unfortunately the up front costs are going to be more but in the long run you will crash much less and build skills faster.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:51 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Safe in my thought process is a gimmick. Reality says that once you move on to a second aircraft with a different radio, you won't have that magic button to push. Start off with a standard radio and you won't look back.....Good Luck....
Old 04-25-2019, 01:51 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Best is to use an instructor. If working with another human is not an option at all, I'd go with a SAFE equipped 4 channel plane. Yes, it can teach you bad habits. But if you focus on building your skills with good quality practice, you'll graduate soon enough from using it.
What SAFE won't do is ensure your plane is airworthy with a good pre-flight inspection, evaluate your flying area for safety, critique your technique so that bad piloting doesn't become ingrained, or introduce you to planes and styles of flying that you wind up liking a lot. Those are the things a human instructor, often as part of a club scene, can do for you.