Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Will this combo work?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Will this combo work?

Old 03-30-2020, 06:49 AM
jboomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this combo work?

Looking at picking up an electric plane, however, I’m still running an old 72 MHz Futaba 4-channel radio (T4VF) with a 7-channel receiver (FP-R127DF). This will be my first foray into electric. Will this radio/receiver work with electric in a kit such as this:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/fmm111pf (Horizon Hobby Ranger)

Thanks!

Josh
Old 03-30-2020, 07:27 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Manual not available, so I can't figure out why it includes 5 servos. Presumably, on the minimum 4 ch radio it calls for, you'd use a "Y" cable for the two aileron servos. One ele servo in the pics. And I assume one for rudder. Plus the channel needed for the ESC for throttle. So that leave one mystery servo, that you may not be able to control. It doesn't appear to have flaps. Maybe for nose wheel? If so, then a second Y coming off the rudder channel will work for that, also.

Other than that, your radio will work just fine for it. It's nicer to have seperate channels for individual adjusting of each servo, but without you just have to do a bit more mechanical adjustment. You may have to get an in line "servo reverser" for one of the ailerons (or rudder/nose wheel), but unlikely - Horizon usually thinks about that sort of issue in their designs, and sets them up so a standart Y works just fine.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:30 AM
jboomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ted! I completely missed that there were 5 servos. I contacted them and they sent me a link to the manual.

looks like #5 goes to “gear”, so like you, I assume this is the nose wheel. I suppose rudder only will work ok for t/o and landing. They wouldn’t tell me if a 4-channel would work, only that I really should buy one of their new txmitters and not have to worry about it, lol.
Attached Files

Last edited by jboomer; 03-30-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 PM
tedsander

Looks like it comes with a pre-wired Y for the ailerons. Very cryptic about the "gear". Gotta be for nose wheel steering. If lucky, you can Y off of the rudder for that. If not so lucky, you'll have to find an in-line servo reverser to operate it. Doesn't look like it has lots of rudder, so the takeoff run may be challenging without steering on the nose.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You can't just not use the nose wheel steering. But as stated above, a Y harness should take care of it.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 AM
tedsander

This looks like a decent one, if you end up needing it: https://www.davesrce.com/product-pag...servo-reverser