Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 04:48 AM
Panosth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane

Hi guys , i have been flying fpv drones for 2 years and i decided i wanted to buy something new. So i decided to get a plane. I really want to get a 3D plane and maybe i can start learning the basics and then start doing aerobatics since i have some experience with aerobatics from fpv drones or should i get a stable plane? I can pay around 300 dollars it doesn't have to be an rtf plane since i already have a radio and some batteries. What im thinking of buying is an FMS kingfisher 1400mm or an FMS ranger 1800mm.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:50 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Are your FPV drones multi rotor or fixed wing? What type of stabilization systems do you use? Flying a 3D airplane even with a gyro such as the Aura is quite a bit different.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 AM
Panosth

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Are your FPV drones multi rotor or fixed wing? What type of stabilization systems do you use? Flying a 3D airplane even with a gyro such as the Aura is quite a bit different.
multi rotor and its and f4 flight controller
Old 08-01-2021, 06:02 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Panosth
multi rotor and its and f4 flight controller
Flying any airplane is going to be very different. Right now the flight controller is doing most of the work for you. Typically it’s best to have an instructor when learning to fly fixed wing airplanes. If you don’t want to go that way I would suggest you look at airplanes that have the Safe feature. Unfortunately those are only compatible with the Spektrum transmitters.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:20 AM
Panosth

Okay um can a trainer plane do the basic acrobatics like roll and loop or can it not? And can a 3d plane fly straight like q normal plane?
Old 08-01-2021, 11:03 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You're talking about the two extreme ends of maneuverability. Yes, a trainer can do rolls and loops. It resists those maneuvers with its self-righting characteristics, so it's harder to do them. Trainers are designed to fly slowly, be self-correcting and stable, and be very forgiving in stalls. A mini Telemaster would fit your needs nicely. If it survives the initial learning process, it would be simple to build a flat wing (no dihedral) with ailerons to turn it into a nice sport plane. If you don't want to build, the Apprentice ARF is a nice one.

On that topic, sport planes are usually the next step. The venerable Ugly Stick is hands down the most successful one out there, although there are lots of others. Sport planes don't have the self-correcting features, so they are actually easier to control and do aerobatics with. But they are still simple designs and built lightly to be forgiving and versatile. Sport planes will also be a lot less affected by the wind than a trainer. Depending on your skills and teachability (which most beginner pilots overestimate), starting with a sport plane might work for you.

Then there are aerobatics planes and 3D planes. Both are designed to be neutral handling with control coupling minimized. Some like the old Kaos or the current F3A pattern planes aren't super maneuverable but do fly super smoothly to maximize scores. Others like most IMAC planes (Extra 300, Edge 540, Yak 54) have big enough controls to do 3D while also flying smoothly with lower rates. Then there are the dedicated 3D planes like a U Can Do 3D with huge controls that pretty much suck for anything besides hanging on the prop.