Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

oil removal

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

oil removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 08:03 AM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil removal

I am currently recovering an old Tiger 2 that I've had for a number of years. After I peeled the film off the nose section I noticed that the wood had taken on a pink hue probably because of the fuel having caster in it. I tried cleaning it with laquer thinner and acetone but even after this, when I give it a light sanding there's little if any dust from the wood that would indicate some level of oil removal. I don't want that covering coming off. A youtube vidio tip says to use hairspray over oil soaked area. Not sure what to make of it, or what to do. Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2024, 08:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Spray it with K2R and let it sit for a bit, then clean it off and reapply as needed, it will pull the oil out of the wood
Old 03-22-2024, 12:05 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep ^^.

It can be hard to find in stores, but my local Ace Hardware carries it. Not sure if it available at all up in Canada. I make sure to always have a can or two lying around, because you never know when it will become unavailable or you will need it. It also works extremely well for getting stains out of automobile cloth upholstery.

Wiping it with any liquid solvent will just dilute it some and spread it all around, which doesn't really give a net positive result at all.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I have to get it from Amazon, nobody around here has it in stock
Old 03-23-2024, 02:45 AM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

K2R was banned here in Europe many years ago due to cancer.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:23 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

The hairspray used us essentially just cheap lacquer. It has enough alcohol base to soak into the wood but it doesn't really remove the oil. If you can find it, Balsarite wood prep for film is supposed to work on oily wood. K2R really is the good stuff but if you can't find it submerge the entire nose of the airplane (less engine and hardware of course) in a bag of cornstarch and leave it for a week. You won't ever get all of the oil out so removing as much oil as you can and then sealing the wood is the goal.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:34 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take some baking soda and put it on the oil soaked areas and let it sit over night then use a brush to clean it off then put thin ca on the area
OR you could cut out the bad part and make new parts to go back in