Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Landing a taildragger---How? >

Landing a taildragger---How?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Landing a taildragger---How?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing a taildragger---How?

The subject line sums it up. What's the best way to land a tail dragger? Great Planes Dazzler with a very tame OS LA.40.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:37 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Landing a taildragger---How?

You land the same way you land a trike gear, it's take offs thats a little different.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:21 PM

Land it on the mains until you get comfortable with it. After that you can slow it down more with the nose up and three point it. Even though Great Planes says a bushed .40 is enough for the Dazzler, it ain't.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:57 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Yup, taildragers are no different then trikes, you just pull up to keep the steering wheel on the ground

I'm so use to my taildraggers that when I get someone on the buddybox that has a trike trainer, it screws me up for a couple flights...
Old 10-20-2003, 07:09 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Just elaborating on what 3DFan said...

As you do your flare with up elevator, when it touches down (assuming it doesn't bounce), keep the elevator up. That keeps the tail wheel firmly on the ground for best control.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:40 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off slow until the back end comes up and just steer it down the runway. If you start your take off roll to fast, you may nose over and break a prop. Actuall the whole process is easier than trike gear.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
My Feedback: (3)

The difference in tail draggers and trikes is that tail draggers are better b/c you dont have to deal with that stupid nose wheel.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:05 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Although trikes are neat 'cause you can bring them in on their mains and then ease the nosewheel down. Looks cool.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:47 PM

When landing, do you keep it slightly nose down untill it almost touches down, then flare up? Or, do you flare up slowly as you approch the ground?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Just pretend your landing a trainer and you'll be fine. Just keep the speed up a LITTLE.
Dennis-
Old 02-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Banned

With your 4*40... land it exactly like the trainer. (except it needs to be slower... because its a lighter airplane) The appearance is a little different due to the low wing configuration... but you'll get used to that quickly. Minimize use of ailerons on final because its good practice.

With the Dazzler... its built to do snap maneuvers. Stay off the ailerons on final approach. if at all... barely touch the ailerons to keep wings level. Use the rudder to control the flight path. Ailerons at low speed when close to the ground = crunchy noises.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:29 AM
My Feedback: (4)

FHHuber,
Did I miss something? I don't see any mention of a 4*.

He was asking about the Dazzler, which is why I said, "keep the speed up a LITTLE". Staying off the ailerons as much as possible is excellent advice by the way.
Dennis-
Old 02-22-2004, 09:14 AM

Bakes, to start with just land it like you would if it was a trainer. Try and bring it in level, low power, then cut to idle close to the end of runway about 10 feet up. Let it keep falling to kep some speed and then gently start adding elevator just before it touchs. If it gets too slow release the elevator or just add a little power and go around. I have found most crashes on landing are from people, myself included, trying to force the plane down when they should have gone around.

With the 40la on it you have something that few know anything about now, a plane that flies on the wing, not the engine. The dazzler slows down real fast with the fat wing it has. It also has the ability to remain flying extremely slow. The ailerons remain usefull on the dazzler as long as there is forward motion, but I would suggest low rates on landing.

Go have fun with it. Keep the rates low and the CG where the manual suggest to start with and you should enjoy the plane.

Ed M.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:12 AM

DB,

I was asking about tail draggers in general. I do have a 4* 40. I've only flow it once and it bounced like crazy on landing.

I think I flared too soon, then it kind of ballooned up, then it bounced like a superball, I am getting ready to head to the field.

I wasn't a member of the club when I had my trainer. I landed on my uncles grass yard. I didn't have any problams with bounce really. The grass helped alot. I want to land on asphault withing hopping.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:14 AM

you land a taildragger the same way you land a trainer or trike gear. Wheels down, wings up!!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Tail draggers have their main wheels forward of the cg. Tricycle gear has main wheels behind of the cg. A taildragger will bounce if you touch down hard with flying speed because the pitch goes positive as the main wheels hit. A trike will not bounce because the pitch goes negative as the main wheels touch. I find that a full stall landing is the easiest on a traildragger. Glide it down to a foot off the runway surface and try to hold it off as long as you can with the elevator. Eventually you wil get a very gentle three point full stall landing.