Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aerobird - New Web Site

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aerobird - New Web Site

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 08:57 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird - New Web Site

Gents,

Please keep this about airplanes, etc.

Lets take personal posts about individuals offline.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 02-10-2004, 09:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Frankly.. I don't want any more of his insulting e-mails either.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:57 PM
MSboy

I have enjoyed the journey of being a beginner with the Aerobird Challenger as a second model. my first was a Nora that I could never get off the ground due to warped wings & a defective motor. I have made all the mistakes and mods that a Challenger owner finds necessary and am happy whith the results. Others may point out the planes faults but they have no better recomendations. If they do they should take them to another forum where they can be appreciated. My Aerobirds are now powered with a speed 400 brushed motor and a 555 hitec receiver, Bluebird 306 (6 gm) servos and an eflite 10 amp esc. I have a 20' carbon tube glued inside the wing at 40% chord with polyurethane . I have crashed and rebuilt so many times that I seldom crash any more and I really wring the plane out. I still consider it my basic plane and have two ready to fly in a flight box hanger. I also fly a jerbear wing for kicks but you cannot beat the high wing pusher prop design when it comes to tough. There are others that can compete like the T-Hawk but it costs a bit more. The bodies on mine have been repaired and improved. Isn't that what beginers learn along with how to fly?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:24 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: MSboy

I have enjoyed the journey of being a beginner with the Aerobird Challenger as a second model. my first was a Nora that I could never get off the ground due to warped wings & a defective motor. I have made all the mistakes and mods that a Challenger owner finds necessary and am happy whith the results. Others may point out the planes faults but they have no better recomendations. If they do they should take them to another forum where they can be appreciated. My Aerobirds are now powered with a speed 400 brushed motor and a 555 hitec receiver, Bluebird 306 (6 gm) servos and an eflite 10 amp esc. I have a 20' carbon tube glued inside the wing at 40% chord with polyurethane . I have crashed and rebuilt so many times that I seldom crash any more and I really wring the plane out. I still consider it my basic plane and have two ready to fly in a flight box hanger. I also fly a jerbear wing for kicks but you cannot beat the high wing pusher prop design when it comes to tough. There are others that can compete like the T-Hawk but it costs a bit more. The bodies on mine have been repaired and improved. Isn't that what beginers learn along with how to fly?
MSboy,

Would love to see photos of your set-up. I have seen others convert the Aerobirds and Firebird Commanders to standard servos and such. I am always interested in how it is done.

My original Aerobird is still with me, but is mostly on the shelf now. I picked up an Aerobird Challenger fuselage to continue the flight. Love it!. It is my basic go with me everywhere plane.

I now have a fleet of 18 planes, including a 3.6M scale sailplane, several parkflyers, 2M and 3m thermal duration sailplanes, some slope gliders, a discus launched glider and just picked up a 12" wing span rubber powered model.

But it all started with the Aerobird. Now the Aerobird Challenger goes everywhere with me; lives in my car. (love that the box makes a great hanger/travel package)

I often use Challengers to train new pilots. They typically do well with it. I am about to form an air to air combat challenge among us based on the combat module. Will help to sharpen everyone's flying skills.

We had a new flyer join the club recently. He started with a Spectra e-glider, then added Zagi slope wing and an discus launched glider. Now he wants to get an Aerobird Challenge as a keep in the car, do anything plane, like mine.

Just a fun bird.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:21 PM
chuckconrad

One other practice / modification that should be done to every Aerobird is to eliminate the latch on the power cable. It can be snipped off with a nail clipper or quickly sawed with a dremal tool. It will still stay attached when operating. But, ff you have a crash, it is better to have the battery easily disconnect and not tug on the circuit card.

I think the tugging of the battery is the cause of many circuit card breakages.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:27 AM
aeajr

I replaced the connectors with ultra deans long ago.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:36 PM
marksv1

Hi there:

I just bought an Aerobird Challenger (my first RC electric). I am looking for a stearable rear wheel assembly. If no one knows how to make this happen, I will design one myself.

Any CAD drawings available for this model?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-10-2005, 03:06 PM
aeajr

A steerable wheel would be nice. How are you going to steer it?

Simple with a standard tail. You tie it to the rudder. Here you have a V tail. And, you can't add a servo.

Perhaps you could put a pull pull between the bottom of the control horns and the wheel. That might work. you might have to use a pully to reverse the direction of the pull.

Hummmm, never thought of that before.

(paper ... Pencil...)
Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 AM
platano2minicano

I have a problem with the component located at the "Y2" part of the circuit card on the AEROBIRD CHALLENGER. I have lost all imputs from the remote and I know that the component located at the "Y2" corner of the circuit card is what is bad....because I nicked it myself with a plier by mistake........ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT THAT "Y2" component labeled ( Z 4.0 M ) is????? please let me know I have no idea what it is.....Thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:19 AM
platano2minicano

Continuation!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:23 AM
platano2minicano

SORRY I AM TRYING TO SHOW YOU GUYS A PICTURE OF WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63331.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	428878  
Old 03-19-2006, 12:44 PM
aeajr

I have no idea what those components do. A new fuselage including the electroncis and motor costs about $42 which is the same it was before the price dropped.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...arts%20Listing

If you bought a whole new aerobird, you would get Frankly today it is a better deal to buy a whole new challenger. In the bargain you get a battery ($25) wing (15) tail ($10) and another charger ($20) plus the fuselage and a radio ( $25).

So you can spend for the fuse or you can get a new kit and get the parts you will probably use anyway. That is what I did at one point. Two chargers is nice!