Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newby/Superstar RTF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newby/Superstar RTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 09:07 PM
huskerjacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby/Superstar RTF

Hello! I am wanting to get started flying planes. I am looking for my first one. Which plane do you recommend to start out with? Is Glow better to start out with or should I go with electric? I want something that will stay in the air longer than 5 min. I had my eye on the Superstar RTF. Is this a good plane? I am an adult so I want something that will excite me and won't get board with right away. I really appreciate your help and expertise.

Thank You
Huskerjack
Old 11-18-2003, 10:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Newby/Superstar RTF

There are many great kit to choose from, and the Superstar is one of them. The only thing I don't like about it is the engine. The OS LA Series is weak. If you want an RTF, look at the Alpha Trainer:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...475&pc=HAN2475

It has a really great engine that can grow with you.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:50 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jack:

If you go into glow power, I'll go with Minn on this one. I've seen the Alpha, it's really a nice flying plane.

Another you might consider is the "NextStar" that Hobbico has just released. It has the capability of having a lot of the trainer limitations removed, allowing the plane to grow with your growing skill level. But it's $100 more than the Alpha.

Electric has definite advantages, though. You can get a pretty nice RTF for $100, and you don't have to buy all the stuff that is not included in the $300 or $400 price of the glow trainers.

If you decide to go electric, almost any of the three or more channel planes will do, you want to have at least a real rudder, and elevator control along with the throttle. I would not recommend the ones with aileron/elevator and throttle to start, they are generally more difficult to fly. And the ones that have just motor control are barely above the level of a child's toy - we want a man's toy.

Besides the lower capital investment in the RTF electrics there's another BIG consideration. You are going to crash the plane if you don't have an instructor. And maybe even if you do. The electrics are a lot more resistant to damage when you find the ground grabbing yoour plane, and they are usually really easy to repair when the damage is more than a ding in the wing. A glow powered wooden plane can be totalled without a lot of effort, and without too big a mistake.

So if you have good club support, or just a buddy who is a flier, the glow planes are really the way to go. If you're by yourself then definitely stick with the RTF electrics for the first two or three planes, then switch to glow, or the fancier electrics if you decide to stay electric.

Bill.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:18 PM
phread59

Min and Bill have pretty much nailed that sucker down. You have gotten excellant advice. I reccomend looking at what these 2 gentlemen have to say. I only want to wish you the best of luck. And to suggest that my opinion is that if possible glow is the way to go. It has the most options and avenues to enjoy this hobby. Again good luck and happy flying.

Mark Shuman
Old 11-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Mini Boy

Hi all!

I'm in the same boat as Husker, with no clubs around, but plenty of places to go to practice and not hurt anybody or anything. After reading several very good reviews and many posts about the Hobbico Superstar EP, I bought one. The construction, for an ARF, is excellent, the hardware is decent and the covering job is very nice, with a couple of insignificant small wrinkles on the fuselage. It comes complete with a 7 cell 1700 MaH NiCd , a decent ESC and a fair Speed 600 motor, all for a hundred bucks. I have three 7 cell NiMh 2600 packs fot my Corona Helicopter that will be an improvement over the stock battery pack.

I am doing a couple of recommended mods ie: replacing the 3/32 wire gear with 1/8 th and making each leg 1-1/2 in. longer for more prop ground clearance an a wider stance. Also recommended is replacing the 1-3/4 in. wheels with 2-3/4 in. for better grassy ROG, and adding a tail wheel to mimimize (eliminate??) ground looping. It looks kinda nice, sorta like a real aircraft, and the battery pack loads through a very neat trap door under the cabin, so you don't have to take the wing off every 10 minutes. I thought that I could add ailerons or flaperons if I liked the way it flies, but for the moment I'm gonna keep it simple, chase myself around the field a tad, bang it up a bit, perhaps destroy it, then go from there.

Hope to have it in the air in a couple of weeks.

My two cents worth.

Happy and safe flying,

Russ
Old 11-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Husker :

According to other people, start out with a high wing RTF or ARF or Kit

Do u want an RTF?
Note Im kinda partisan and all the planes below are .40 size
These are some glow RTFs ive heard people recommend

Hobbico Avistar
Hobbico NexStar *
Hobbico SuperStar
Hangar 9 Alpha
Hangar 9 Extra Easy 2 *
Hangar 9 arrow *
and Lots More!!

* means not available in ARF version, RTF only!

Some Arfs :

Those w/o a star above
Global RCM Trainer
Great Planes PT-40
Goldberg Eagle II
Goldberg FAlcon ARF
Midwest Aerobat/ AeroStar
more!!!!

DOn't worry about being bored.
You won't be.

I like the Magnum .46 XLS for an engine. It's supposed to be OS .46 FX performance at $20 less!!!

I like Futaba Radios. They're nice and not expensive, although don't be fooled by the cheap look. IE U cant look justa t the cover u gotta look at the insides!!!!

You can check out [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com]Tower Hobbies[/link].

Just my Canadian $0.02 I mean if other people contradict me in anything but the Futaba radio choice, listen to them!!!!

Futaba Radio Choice is just opinion, everyone has an opinion!

DB and Minn and everyone who contributes make this beginner forum the best!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:54 PM
bugfanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading the posts, & doing my share of 'homework' & I think I have it narrowed down, but I need a little help. I have flown (& crashed) before, years back so I'm no stranger to planes. I have been running boats for about 15 years but got the itch to get back into the air. I'm looking for something to do on a lazy afternoon - you know, something relaxing. Something I don't have to build up & can just play & enjoy.

I have it narrowed down to the Hobbico Avistar RTF or the Hangar 9 Arrow since I would like more than a flat-bottomed wing. I have heard a little bit about both the LA series engines & the hangar 9 'engine system' with 3-blade prop. I would like to stay with the stock engine for a bit but will probably swap out at a later time. Please, let me have some input on this if you have a minute.

Thanks