Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Superstar 60

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Superstar 60

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 05:51 PM
hooleydog
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstar 60

I just bought a Superstar 60 Trainer ARF, but the way you put the each wing side together dosen't look very strong compared to my other plane a LT-40. It's just one brace that goes into the slots using epoxy and on the root ribs too. Is that strong enough??, as the plane does have a 61 engine in it. Also the 3 plywood braces that get glued together are warped (the sheet was in that way. how the hell do I them flat before I glue them together, as I'm not skilled enough to cut new ones and get the correct dihedral in them, Any ideas please...

Thanks...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:24 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Superstar 60

It's common with ARF's that you get a single (chunky) dihedral brace to hold the wings together.
My Superstar 60 survived going through 2 trees and the wings held together ok....

More recently, I put together a Brightstar and that had the three plywood braces that you laminated together. They were also warped. Just turn one around so its warped the other way, coat all three liberaly with 30 min epoxy and secure them together with clothes pegs or clamps. It'll come out ok....

Once the laminated brace is dry, test fit it and sand it down to a snug fit. Liberally coat the brace and both root ribs with 30 min epoxy before assembling the wings.

You made a good choice, IMO the Superstar is a better trainer than the Hobbistar, just be careful of the flimsey covering...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:31 PM
hooleydog

Thanks for the info tiggerinva much apprecitied.. ERR, what covering is it??? if it ripples a bit can I use the my heat gun on it (will it take the heat???)
Old 11-25-2003, 06:46 PM
jrpnde

Some of the Superstar 40 wings are joined the same way. Mine was. The 3 pieces that are epoxied together to form the dihedral brace is strong enough if installed correctly. If the wood is severely warped you won't be able to bond them together. This 3 piece laminate is stronger than a single piece of wood. It really isn't hard to make new ones. The LHS and even some home stores (eg.Home Depot) sell hobby woods. Take your kit pieces along with you to match the thickness. This material is a harder wood tha balsa (plywood).

Take one of the kit pieces and trace the outline 3 times on a sheet of flat wood stock. This stuff isn't hard to cut with a fine tooth saw. Extreme precision isn't that critical. Hold the 3 pieces together and test fit them into the slots in each wing half. The fit should be from extremely snug to "almost go in". Apply epoxy (30 minute) generously to the complete flat sides of the 3 pieces that will touch each other to make this "sandwich". Clamp together (if the pieces are flat 2 or 3 clothespins will work). Remove the excess epoxy that squishes out from the edges with some alcohol. Let cure for at least overnight.

Mark a line in the very center of the brace. Test fit each half of the brace into each wing half and sand the edges of the brace a bit at a time until it just slips into the wings with a snug fit. Use patience with this. MAKE SURE THE DIHEDRAL IS POSTIONED THE CORRECT WAY. Test fit both wing halves together and assure there is a pretty good mating of the wings without large gaps.

You may find it easier to make the next 2 steps. Apply epoxy to half of the brace (sides and edges) and insert it into one wing half notch that you have mopped epoxy into to the center line you drew on the brace. Let epoxy cure. Test fit the other wing half again for fit then apply epoxy to all surfaces of the other half of the brace, all inside the wing notch, and the complete surfaces of each wing half root ribs that will mate. You may want to tape them together at a couple of points until cured. Allow plenty of cure time..at least overnight. If you confident with the fit you may want to do this last step all in one. Once the glue is cured it's pretty hard to go back and make changes.

Since I was skeptical like you about the strength of this wing joint, I made a small 1" long strap out of some thin bendable metal, drilled a hole in each end, bent the strap to conform with the dihedral angle, and screwed the strap across the joint a couple of inches from the wing trailing edge where there is solid wood and not sheeting.
Wing has stayed together.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:00 PM
hooleydog

The wood (as you said) does feel strong. Anyway, it's warped about 1/4 inch is that too much to glue them together if I turn one that other way round and then clamp them (as tiggerinva said)
Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The covering is what people on here refer to as 'shelf paper'. It's a sticky backed plastic covering. Feel inside the fuselage and you'll see. Proper iron on covering won't feel sticky on the back.

As far as I know, this stuff doesn't shrink, so you shouldn't see ripples that will need to be ironed out like you do with ARF's that have Monokote, Oracover etc....

I wouldn't try putting a heat gun near it, all you'll probably do is melt a hole it it! [X(]

FWIW, I'd try clamping the braces together. It won't matter if the final result is a little warped. What matters is getting the wings to together with a good fit and lined up correctly....
Old 11-25-2003, 07:27 PM
jrpnde

1/4 inch is one heck of a warp in a piece that is meant to be relatively flat to start. The dihedral brace build I described in my earlier post really is hard at all with a little patience. And, if you're not satisfied with the first...cut out another.....before gluing of course. The wood is cheap. A severely warped piece has to be custom shaped(sanded) for each half of it. If the whole thing is flat to start, just makes the rest easier. After all, this is one of the really critical joints in the plane.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:43 PM
hooleydog

Thanks for all the info, what I'll do is get a sheet of plywood in the correct size, and use one of the braces for a template. Then I'll try to glue them together, if it dosen't work, I'll cut out the one that I traced from the template and make the other 2..