Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First timer needs help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First timer needs help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
bass_hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer needs help

Hello, 48 yrs. young and have always wanted an rc plane, but dont know anything about them. Thinking about getting me one for xmas. Can i get what i need for around $200 to get started ? Would like to keep it has simple as posible. Do i get gas or electric ? Can someone tell what i need to get, type, model, ect... Thanks
Old 12-10-2003, 04:21 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: First timer needs help

Bass Hunter - that question has been asked many times. If you do a search in this forum you'll find tons of information and advice.

The "traditional" method is a .40 size trainer. I sum it up on this page on my website:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...ts/rc_cost.htm
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...g_aircraft.htm

Most people will tell you $300-$400 to get started, but that's not real accurate by the time you buy everything. If you go with a park flyer or something similar then it is way less expensive.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
GREATOZ1
My Feedback: (4)

THERE ARE TWO REVIEWS UP FOR YOUR READING ENLIGHTENMENT. BOTH REVIEW RTF PLANES (Didn't mean to yell there.) One is on the Nexstar and the other is on the Alpha trainer. For two hundred bucks, you may wish to get some used gear. I am new to this great hobby too and have found out that $200.00 won't get you a lot of new stuff. I have also found out that good used planes are just as good as new ones. I guess we will all move up and lose interest in our trainers. I am not there yet, myself.

What about most if not all will tell you on this post is to go to your local club and speak with the members. Find an instructor to speak with and see what he/they advise you to get. I have found most of the memebrs will treat you great and if a deal comes around, will tell you about it. They should also tell you what to avoid. I know there is much agruement and discussion about what I am about to say next but I honestly believe it myslef, that is: GET AN INSTRUCTOR TO HELP YOU LEARN.

As far as which to start with, Gas or Electirc, I assume you muight be thinking about starting with Elec and then graduating to gas. Good thought except that the new gas trainers are fairly simple to flyand IMHO you would be spending money you don't need to spend on the elec. Last word of caution, I am not, repeat NOT an expert. I am only giving you that which I have learned. Some I had to learn the hard way. Welcome to tghe Hobby and enjoy yourself
Old 12-10-2003, 04:25 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: GREATOZ1

Last word of caution, I am not, repeat NOT an expert. I am only giving you that which I have learned. Some I had to learn the hard way. Welcome to tghe Hobby and enjoy yourself
Give yourself some credit. You are THE GreatOz after all.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:27 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about your local hobby shop but one of our hobby shops in Ct has second hand trainers from people that have moved up to second plane status. You can also find planes here on the market place, stay away from ebay, they are questionable and you'll end up with more problems when it comes to shiping it. Electric is clean simple and fairly cheap and so is glow .40 but electric needs calmer air to fly in. Your local hobby shop is the better way to aproach this. Even thou you want to spend olny 200 you get a whole lot more if you get a nexstar or superstar rtf package, in the end run you can transfer the equipment to your second airplane,
Hope this helps, Ray[:-]
Old 12-10-2003, 08:14 PM
TerrellFlyer

Eveving bass-hunter,
Standard start up price is around $380.00 here in big D,my free advice is to find and join a local flying club before you spend one penny. Most clubs have trainer planes and instructors for new pilots to start with,if new pilots would try this route befor buying planes and equiment then they would have a better idea of what to start with,also sometimes some of the members are selling some of there equiment at a good price. But if you have the plane fever real bad,then buy all means run to the hobby shop.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try ths site: http://www.spadtothebone.com/
YOu will not be able to build one cheaper!

ORIGINAL: bass_hunter

Hello, 48 yrs. young and have always wanted an rc plane, but dont know anything about them. Thinking about getting me one for xmas. Can i get what i need for around $200 to get started ? Would like to keep it has simple as posible. Do i get gas or electric ? Can someone tell what i need to get, type, model, ect... Thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 08:01 AM
bass_hunter

Thanks for all the great advise. I'm sure there's a club in my area, But i have'nt been able to find one online. My first idea was to find a club and talk to someone before i jump into anything. Thanks again
Old 12-11-2003, 09:12 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bass,
Here ya' go. Visit the AMA website; they have a page that will point you to a local club, simply plug in your Zip Code. http://www.modelaircraft.org

Every club that I'm aware of requires AMA membrship to fly. (Although most will also let you try a flight first.) AMA membership includes $2 million in liability insurance in case you hit someone or something with you plane. (These really aren't toys, people have been killed when hit by one.)

Now, AMA membership doesn't sound cheap at $58/year, but it's worth it. Club membership will run another $25 to $100 depending on the club. If you were to go with a typical (NEW) 40 size glow powered trianer and all teh related equipment, you can expect to spend in the range of $400 to $500. So you should anticipate something like $600 by the time your done with memberships and stuff.

Now, I'm NOT trying to scare you away, because this is about the best hobby out there, but I do want you to be prepared for what you're getting into.

You can get started for much less money by buying used from club members. I've set people up with trainer, engine and radio equipment for around $150 a couple times. It then takes another $75 to $125 for field equipment (unless you find that used as well). So you might get into it for closer to $300 including memberships, if you're willing to join the club, wait and shop.

All of the above absolutely requires a club instructor, because you WILL crash if you try on your own. 40 size glow planes do not hold up to crashes very well. (The Spad's recommended above are another story. The problem with them, is having to build one without knowing much of anything about building planes.) The planes above should NOT be flown anywhere near people or houses or....

The other option is to go with a parkflyer, which are all electrics. You can get a full outfit in your $200 range, and you CAN try to learn on your own. You will still crash, and you may lose your investment, but it's possible. The Aerobird is a fairly good choice in this range. The nice thing about it, is that it comes "complete". Plane, motor, radio equipment, battery pack, charger, etc., for about $150. The bad thing about them is that you can't move the motor or the electronics to your next plane, so you start all over on cost. (It uses the "toy" 27 mHz radio frequency, so a kid's toy RC car could shoot you down, rather than the dedicated 72 mHz that we usually fly on.)

There are other parkflyers that use 72 mHz equipment, and electronics that can be tranferred to your next plane (like the GWS Slow Stick), but then you need to learn about all the equipment and electronics before you buy. And you'll end up spending closer to $300+ anyway.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Dennis-
Old 12-11-2003, 06:23 PM
jrpnde

I absolutely agree that the first step should be to connect with folks at a nearby club. Get ideas/suggestions on beginner equipment and costs. I disagree with completely staying away from eBay as long as you fully understand what the item is and the condition. Once you have decided what type of plane to start with, keep tabs on eBay for what's for sale. Its sometime a matter of luck to win an auction for your price but it is possible. I once purchased a trainer combo package that was totally new (never run or been in the air) and saved about $100 over buying from the LHS or Tower. There's plenty of reasons people acquire RC stuff and turn right around and sell. eBay does require patience.