Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Too Much Power?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Too Much Power?

Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 AM
forestroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much Power?

I have just finished my WM Rambler 30 and it's a beaut! Trouble is the YS 63 I have in there is just too powerful. I can have unlimited vertical at less than half throttle. When I go do the vertical test (which I always always do) I'm too scared to do it at full throttle. Instead I use slightly less than half and it already wants to fly out of my hands. And, of course, when I fly the plane is always rolling one way or the other because I can't trim it as the tendency to roll left increases with more throttle.

HELP!!!

For the time being, I am flying with EPA at some sad percent so that I don't by accident throttle up too much and roll into the ground at low altitudes.

Would a larger prop with lower pitch work? Or a three bladed prop? I am using a APC 12 x 6 now. What if I just use an 11x6? Are there any risks for underpropping a plane?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Too Much Power?

Under propping won't hurt the plane, but you could burn out the engine.

I would suggest getting a smaller engine, or a bigger plane.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:19 AM
TerrellFlyer

I would try a 12x5 or 12x4 prop,and watch the rpm or as MinnFlyer suggest you could over rev and damage the engine,if the prop didn't solve the problem then I would change engines or planes.[&o]
Old 12-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Stick Jammer

Ditto on MinnFlyer's advice. That YS .63 is way too much engine for a plane that calls for a .30 two stroke. The torque of that YS is likely causing unnecessary problems.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:33 PM
TerrellFlyer

Also ment to add 3 blade prop on 12x5/12x4,see what happens with age.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-14-2003, 04:22 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Forestroke, I have a Magnum 30 4stroke I'll trade you for that YS.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Another thing you may want to try is to change your endpoints for the high rpm so full throttle will give you half of the available engine rpm. YOu may want to increase the right thrust of the engine to offset some of the torquing to the left.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:47 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I still think your best fix would be to trade with me.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:59 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Swap the engine out with something more appropriate. Not only will you be able to have more fun (less worries) but you'll have a much better flying airplane. Why mess with props and EPA when'll you never be able to reach the model's potential with that combination?
Old 12-15-2003, 07:17 AM
forestroke

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up doing two things 1) put limited the travel to about half throttle and 2) put some throttle aileron mix. It flew extremly well. Problem was that I had set the timer at 10minutes as I always do but the fuel only lasted around 8 minutes and I had to deadstick her. I thought I had done a pretty good job since I set her down pretty softly but it was quite far away. When I went to examine, the right wing had caught a rebar (the steel bars that reinforce concrete) that was sticking out the ground and tore it clean off. The rest of the plane is still "as new". I'm picking up a wing from a friend who had crashed his (planted his into the ground when his receiver battery died) and will be back flying.

The power is still too much but I think I can handle it. :-) By the way, I still fly at half throttle even with all the adjustments. But it's a pretty plane and the sound of that 63 is oh-so-sweet.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

One of the things that I learned early on is to walk the fields when you are at a new (to you) location. DOing this prevent suprises. I found all kinds of things from tree roots and half buried fences.

ORIGINAL: forestroke

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up doing two things 1) put limited the travel to about half throttle and 2) put some throttle aileron mix. It flew extremly well. Problem was that I had set the timer at 10minutes as I always do but the fuel only lasted around 8 minutes and I had to deadstick her. I thought I had done a pretty good job since I set her down pretty softly but it was quite far away. When I went to examine, the right wing had caught a rebar (the steel bars that reinforce concrete) that was sticking out the ground and tore it clean off. The rest of the plane is still "as new". I'm picking up a wing from a friend who had crashed his (planted his into the ground when his receiver battery died) and will be back flying.

The power is still too much but I think I can handle it. :-) By the way, I still fly at half throttle even with all the adjustments. But it's a pretty plane and the sound of that 63 is oh-so-sweet.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:20 PM
MadScientist

One thing not mentioned above is with a smaller engine you may get a lighter plane, and thus a lighter wing loading, which will help you in those dead stick situations. While it's true that overpowering has some advantages, and can be controlled by not throtteling up fully, you do have that added weight to contend with. Also, the plane will have a slower landing and takeoff speed as well. Just something to think about.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:33 AM
crossed thumbs-delete

Increase the down and right thrust and make sure the ailerons are trimed correctly. Also you might decrease the wing incidence a little.