Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

evolution .46NT or Evolution Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

evolution .46NT or Evolution Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:03 PM
NightLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evolution .46NT or Evolution Trainer

with a difference in 10 bucks.... shouldnt i just go head and get the NT? this would be going onto a LT-40...

which one should i get and why?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default RE: evolution .46NT or Evolution Trainer

I'd just get the NT. I've got the TPS, or what used to be the TPS. When I took mine to the field for the guys to check out the first thing they did was take the baffle out of the muffler to gain another 10% or so in power. Then I ate up the TPS plastic spinner with a starter. Got an aluminum one that takes 2 blade props to replace it. You get a lot more power with a 2 blade prop. I also bought the thing that replaces the TPS flywheel, but haven't used it. The flywheel gives a newbie like me slower speed transitions, and helps it idle better at a low speeds.

The advantages of the TPS are slower idle, smaller 3 blade prop so you don't mow as much grass and have a bit less power.

Disadvantages of the TPS are less power (the NT actually has a slightly bigger displacement), A funny non standard prop that costs more, and a plastic spinner that you have to be very careful of when using a starter.

It cost me about $30 to convert my TPS into a wannabe NT. - Joe
Old 12-14-2003, 07:52 PM
NightLife

k i was going to get the NT but is it possible for me to put a 3 bladed prop on it? or what prop would be good for learning to fly...

and then what prop for when i want more power/speed?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Banned

The TPS comes with a 9x6 3 blade, works fine, 15-20MPH slower than a 2 blade and a lot quieter. They also don't seem to be as sharp and deadly as the APC 2 blade ones. The 2 blade props I'm using are 10 x 6 APC. Just remember that you need different spinners for 2 and 3 blade props. Nice 3 blade aluminum spinners are hard to find compared to 2 blade. Also, 3 blade props cost more. With a nice normal generic 2 blade setup you can walk into any LHS and find a wide assortment of props to use. With a 3 blade you might only get "I think we can order that for you sir!" - Joe
Old 12-14-2003, 08:18 PM
NightLife

um what i was trying to ask is if i get the NT with the 2 blade is their a blade that will allow it to fly close to the 3 blade? i mean slower and easier to learn off of... if so what size would this be?

and then when i want performance what do i move up to?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Banned

It's really not a big deal. Just get a 10x6, it will still fly like a trainer. The only differance will be when you want to take the baffle out of the muffler and try loops and inverted and things that take a bit of power, when you open up the throttle the plane will scoot a bit better. You won't be doing pylon racing or be able to have unlimited verticle pulling out of a hover, no matter what prop you use. Then you just go get a 4* or a good second plane, and maybe move the Nt .46 to it..? - Joe
Old 12-14-2003, 10:03 PM
NightLife

ya i was thinking of a Sig SE as a 2nd plane... i really wanted a funtana but i think its to big of a jump... anyone agree? or disagree?

i would power the funtuna with a saito 72 or 91....

but i want to keep the LT-40 flying so what engine would be good for the SE? another NT? or could i throw on a ys63? or something?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:10 PM
NightLife

ya i was thinking of a Sig SE as a 2nd plane... i really wanted a funtana but i think its to big of a jump... anyone agree? or disagree?

i would power the funtuna with a saito 72 or 91....

but i want to keep the LT-40 flying so what engine would be good for the SE? another NT? or could i throw on a ys63? or something?

but at the cost of $250 i guess i could use it on the funtuna but i hear that plane really needs some power and i would most likely be disaponited in it...

so now i got a new question... how about a sig SE as a trainer? i know tail draggers and low wing planes arent all that great for training... but that would be cost effective instead of buying 3 planes... when i get great and can push the SE to its limits say hello the funtuna?

or i could get the LT-40 with the evolution .46 NT... after that get a SE with the same .46NT and THEN get a funtuna... i thought i had this all figured it out... i just confused myself greatly...

OR just power learn on the LT-40 with the .46NT buy the SE and buy another .46NT (if im happy with it) and then get a funtuna... or just learn on the SE with a YS63[sm=eek.gif][sm=eek.gif]
Old 12-14-2003, 11:45 PM
NightLife

hmmm ive been thinking alot now...

its either i get a Sig LT-40 with a .46NT and use that as a trainer... and a 2nd plane as a funtuna

or use the Sig SE as a trainer with a .53 irvine and then get the funtuna as a 2nd plane...

decisions decisions....[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-15-2003, 12:38 AM
NightLife

ok i promise this is the last time i change my mind... i know its going to cost more but i think it will be alot better for me to get into this hobby...

1st plane

SIG LT-40 powered by a .46NT

2nd plane

SIG SE powered by a .46NT

3rd plane

H9 Funtana powered by a Saito 91/100

ok im done... ordering the plane and engine tomrrow most likely
Old 12-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Crashem

NightLife,

How about this get the Lt-40 or whatever trainer you want then learn how to fly it very very well then worry about planes 2 and 3
By the time you actually learn and get some experience you may find that your choice of a second plane is different!!!!
The key here is to learn to fly not worry about what you should get for a second and third plane...

Old 12-15-2003, 04:09 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello again,

Scanning through this, I have a couple of comments......

The LT-40 and the 46NT should be a good combo... assuming the power is similar to the OS46FX, the best prop would be an 11x6.

This plane will fly well with any decent 40 sized engine, I first used an Irvine 39 on mine with a 10x6 prop. RPM was probably around 13500 with that prop.

On important thing that seems to be overlooked here is ground clearance. Don't even think of using a 12" prop on this plane unless you are really confident in your landings... Beside's, a 12x6 gotta be too much prop for a 46, otherwise eveyone would be using 46's in their 60 sized planes...

Make sure to go and buy composite props such as Master Airscrew & APC. As well as being a decent prop, the APC's are pretty durable. On the odd occassion that I've broken an APC prop, you can be sure a lot more is broken than just the prop!
I started on wood props, I've still got a pile of broken props waiting to go on the fire this winter

Once you have soloed are are getting bored with the LT, you'll probably want a change. Therefore, I doubt if you'll want another 46NT for the SE (or whatever you get).

So, assuming you still want that SE once you've soloed, here's a fun idea......
Get the Irvine .53 and put it on the LT to break it in and give you a chance to get used to running it. Meanwhile you can build the SE and put the 46NT in it. Once you have flown both planes like this for a while, swap the engines over....
Old 12-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Banned

Sorry, you're right tiggerinva. The 12x6 is a typo, 10x6 is what I was told is good for my EVO TPS .46 to replace the 3 blade prop. I was told 9x6 3 blade, add an inch to start with for a 2 blade. So 10x6 is what I'm using on my TPS .46.. I said 12x6 cuz that's what's going on my Ultra Stick with Irvine .53 and I had just bought 2 of them. Not a good prop for a non-tail dragging trainer. I edited out the typo from the above message also. - Joe
Old 12-16-2003, 01:28 AM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,
No problem...
I just had a look at the Evo TPS manual online. I confirmed that it's a BB engine and being .455 should be similar in power to most .46's. As such, you should be able to put an 11x5 or 11x6 prop on it, might be worth a try...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:53 AM
Banned

I barely know how to fly it now, so it's fine with the 10x6. If I had a longer prop I'd just mow more grass with it at this point. I will keep that in mind for the future though sir! - Joe
Old 12-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Mahoney45

Just another input from a very satisfied Evolution TPS user...I've got the LT-40 with the Evo TPS on there. I flew with the three bladed prop for the first day, because I thought it looked cool, and it made the plane slow down very nicely for landings...a little too nicely as it turned out when I stalled my last one and prop struck that three blade, shattering it. But, it was cool, no damage besides the prop. I actually ordered another three blade from Horizon because I liked the looks, but had a 11x6 on there while I was waiting for it to get here. I haven't gone back to the three blade because I love the performance I get from the 11x6. Also, I've never used the flywheel. This engine idles SO well, there's really no reason to add the weight to your plane. Joe, if you haven't used the regular thrust washer, I recommend it. Lose the extra oz of that flywheel. So anyways, I'm using a master airscrew wood 11x6 and haven't had any problems. I like the look of the wood better than the plastic. Also, I haven't pulled the baffle out of the muffler and still get lots of power. Pretty much performing everything, loops, rolls, hammerheads, immellmans, inverted flight and even some brief knife edge passes...(won't hold for too long, although, if you set up some big dual rates on the rudder and ailerons, you'll be really surprised what this big LT-40 trainer can do! - Just make sure you seal your elevator gap)

Anyways, bottom line to your original question...if I had to do it again, I'd probably get the NT, just for the fact that maybe it's got a little more power than the TPS and I really haven't needed the trainer functions that came with that engine. That's not to say that I'm not totally happy with my TPS. That said...BOTH engines are from Evolution, and I'm really positive that you'll be happy with either one. If you're a little nervous going into the hobby, get the TPS. If you think you can bypass the whole fly-wheel-three blade game (which I'm sure you can) get the NT.

Finally, I also concur with what's been said about starting with one plane and not getting ahead of yourself. You'll find that this Kadet will really give you a lot to play with. Have fun with it first. Experiment with different set-ups and control throws and push the envelope with it. Then start worrying about that next plane when you find that you're getting bored. But don't rush it. You'll just end up with lots of credit card debt and more planes than you'll want to fly in one afternoon That's just my .02 Of course, I've only had my Kadet for about a month and I asked Santa for a T-34 for Christmas with an Irvine .53...but that's a different story Have fun! - Spool
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Mahoney45

Oh, one more thing...I fly off a paved runway, so that would make a difference in my ground clearance...it's probably why I like the 11x6 so much. But I've got a 10x7 I've got to try too [8D] - Spool