Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First construction First flight w/o instructor

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First construction First flight w/o instructor

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Georgioy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First construction First flight w/o instructor

Today after all problems solved -http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Spark_plug_and_minimmum_RPM/m_1349784/tm.htm-

finally was ready to flight the plane, few hours with software simulation, together with a friend and with 40-45km wind.

It was my first flight and also first time i was see a modeling plane fly.
What happened, it take of after about 5 meters with full throttle against the wind but looks like i had to have the wind back.

Anyway as it was on the air (during the take-of) i made the mistake to pull it back and the wind helped this move so its stopped vertically for 1/2sec on the air, a very suddenly turn of 180 degrees followed and it turned to me horizontally at least in normal distance.
Once again i pulled it up and started getting higher also gaining speed, in this area was only one tree a little tall, the wheels got in the branches so it stopped there very softly....

After that i did also some climbing on the tree to get it down...we laugh'd a lot and there was no damages at all...

Ok you don't accept wind-excuses but even down the taxi wasn't possible as the wind was taking it and we had to keep it with our hands.

The second time i'll try with out so much wind and on a bigger area, not up of the village beside the beach

If there is wind it must keep the nose down (against the wind) or pulling full up with the wind back?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 AM
gus

Default RE: First construction First flight w/o instructor

Congrats on your first solo. I am sure that the landing in the tree was planned ... wasn't it?

Seriously though.... while in my mind I believe that *some* people can learn to fly with out an instructor, at least they should try it when the weather is in their favour....!!!! In all honesty, you got lucky!

Go out again when the wind is calmer (less than 10kph). Try again.

Trainers are very vulnerable to being blown over because of the dihedral in the wings.

gus
Old 12-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Georgioy

Ofcourse, the landing on the tree was my first aerobatic
!

Out of the loughs i got sad cause as i had a videocamera in my car didnt got to to my friend...

Wonder how this tree moved there, but it was very kind.

"Go out again when the wind is calmer (less than 10kph). Try again. " We just wait the wind gus.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:01 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All I can say is you are really lucky. Sounds like you stalled it, and that is why it turned around. You want to fly in as little wind as possible, and if you can't find help, practice on the sim till you have it down cold. Don't let the nose come up too much when you take off.

Get help if you can, if not, make sure he tapes the flighs so at least you have something to remember the plane by when the inevitable happens.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Georgioy

As maybe someone can misunderstand the above and cause i saw a post
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1353922

Including also my answer here.

---------

I agree but what can you do when you've to travel 100 miles for a club and an instructor?

Not try it? its not easy without an instructor, probably its hard with instructor too.

Dont forget to cover it from the reading side, read and keep trying if you know also what yours and others safety means.

Simulators are something than nothing, but very far from the reality.
Its not a game try learn alone, remember safety rules, an airplane can hurt you or others.

As i posted on my post today
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Firs...1353640/tm.htm
tried alone but i am electronics engineer and have also knowledge on real car/bikes engines, means i know alot of this part of safety...
--------