Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

with/without instructor???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

with/without instructor???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
rcnovice100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default with/without instructor???

Can i learn to fly an rc plane without an instructor???

Would the hobbico NexSTAR be the best plane to achieve this??

Do you know if it has been done successfuly before???
Old 12-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Crash Master

Default RE: with/without instructor???

While it is possible to learn without an instructor, be prepared to replace and/or repair your plane. An instructor can save you a lot of misery and money since flying RC is not near as easy as it seems. If you can't find an instructor, you might want to consider a plane that has a much higher survivability than the traditional balsa planes. Check out the Debonair, the Spadet LT 40 or the HUhor over at spadtothebone.com. These planes are made from correx and will survive the crashes that you will experience without an instructor better than the balsa trainers.

Do yourself a favor and find an instructor,
Old 12-15-2003, 10:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Learning to fly without an instructor is like learning to swim by jumping into the middle of the ocean. Even if you stay afloat, you still have to get back. And if you don't stay afloat.... nuff said?

Remember, an airplane has no "Stop" control. They only stop when the touch the ground, whatever angle that may be at.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:50 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it is possible to learn without an instructor, the majority of those who are successful at it have knowledge and or experience of flight . I learned on my own but I had experience of building and flying free flight and control line. Had an experienced flyer check my plane out and fly it around a little, and I also had the use of a wide open 40 acre field with no houses or people around.
After I flew for a season I decided it is more fun flying with two or more people which lead me to drive an hour and a half but it was worth it. I had developed a few bad habits that needed to be corrected, and had to learn how to land on a much smaller runway. While I had a few small mishaps, I have seen people crash and never pick up the hobby again. When you have money invested it is not fun to ruin your plane right away and get started off on the wrong foot. Where I currently fly one pilot moved up to a 1/4 scale sukhoi way before he was ready, lost control on its maiden flight completely destroyed it, never have seen him back its been 8 years. I would say get an instructor if at all possible. The city club where I curantly live at is an hour away. But there are many pilots who have places to fly in small towns. we fly at the local airport, an unimproved grass runway.The next bigger town has a small club 15 mi away. And I know of two more places on the way to the city. I do not know about where you live but I would certainly do some checking and find out if there is someone experienced not to far away.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:01 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to highly recommend getting an instructor as well. Yes, some have done it alone, but the majority of those have used light electrics made of foam. (The majority of those who have done it on their own will also recommend getting an instructor.) The foam "Parkflyers" take abuse a bit better, and are more easily repaired with some epoxy.

You can get an Aerobird for around $150 (U.S.), which won't hurt quite so much when you destroy it. [&:]

Better still, buy a good RC flight simulator like "Real Flight". It's expensive at $200, but may well help save your plane. Please note: flying the Sim is not the same as the real thing, but it's close enough to get you use to the controls. You'd stand a better chance at success.

Good Luck (and Welcome!)
Dennis-
Old 12-16-2003, 05:58 AM
rcnovice100

Thanks very much guys...
Old 12-16-2003, 11:40 AM
TerrellFlyer

Might,maybe,sooner or later,most any trainer will do the job,most clubs and instructors will get you flying safer and faster with a lot less crashes than trying to learn on your own.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:26 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I learned on my own. Find an instructor!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
nilo

I learned on my own also. if no instructors are available(sometimes you just can't find one), go for it, but check you savings fisrt.

Nilo
Old 12-16-2003, 04:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its been done, but why try. Costs a lot less to get an instructor and the life you save could be your own.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:53 PM
rider_89

Instructor, you will defidently crash, and waste a lot of money! People have learned without instructors, but with very great difficulty, if you have the option of getting an instructor defidently do it. If you have unlimited money and a huge field out back, might as well do it at the comfort of your own home....