Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can you paint on top of iron-on covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can you paint on top of iron-on covering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Mahoney45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you paint on top of iron-on covering?

Hey all,
I've got a question. I just got my World Models T-34, and it's a really nice representation of the Navy's T-34C (the turboprop) trainer that's still in use down in Pensacola. However, I'd like to sweeten up the already nice paint job on the model. Okay, it's not paint, it came covered in the orange and white trainer scheme, and while it's close, it could be a little better. What I'd like to do is just paint on top of the covering, since I have no experience at covering. Can this be done? Can anyone recommend what paints to use and whether or not there's anything more to it than simply spraying it on? Do you have to prepare the covering some how? What about primer coats? I've seen spray paints by Ultracoat...I assume those are for painting on coverings. Any help would be much appreciated. - Spool
Old 12-17-2003, 10:51 AM
gus

Default RE: Can you paint on top of iron-on covering?

You will have to know what covering is used on the plane ... Monocote, ultracote, etc.

I have been doing similar research for a kit I am about to build... Have a look at the responses I got in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Poin...1341583/tm.htm

gus
Old 12-17-2003, 11:39 AM
goliath-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

The best way to paint Monocoat is to use shinny white film as the base, take some steel wool to the mono , and use polyurethane paints. This system works fine.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

If you want to add just a touch of paint to accent the model then Testors worked for me. My Yak is orange and red Ultracote with a Testors accent. Testors can be found in your local toy or hobby shop and has a srpay kit that can be added.

tonyc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54362.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	83067  
Old 12-17-2003, 03:32 PM
rider_89

Sweet Paint Job Tony, that is really neat, I like to get my planes painted fancy too, my grandfather has a huge paintbooth and he paints large aircraft and automobiles for a living, but anyways, most paints will work I used an airbrush kit and automobile paints on mine, it looks pretty cool too.