Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

take off/landing on grass?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

take off/landing on grass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:58 PM
rcnovice100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take off/landing on grass?

Hi there folks,

Does anyone know if there is an electric, RTF plane that can take off/ land on grass???

I only ask cause i want to be able to enjoy a proper landing and not the plane tipping over and stuff caue its so light/small, and i only have grass avaiable for me to fy over

Please help!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Banned

Default RE: take off/landing on grass?

How tall is the grass? How smooth is the ground? How big are your wheels? Grass at a club field can be a lot easier than grass at a park. Also, wouldn't a tail dragger be easier to land on grass? Not as much nosing over? Then again, tail draggers with a tiny wheel on the back don't steer too great in grass. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new also.. - Joe
Old 12-17-2003, 08:39 PM
rcnovice100

Im in no place what so ever to be correting anyone on ANY topic in these forums!! LOL i aint got a clue!!

The grass is fairly average......the sort that you would have on a well looked after lawn............(if that helps)
Old 12-17-2003, 11:55 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobby Lobby has a number of "Combos" where they recommend appropriate motors, gearboxes, speed controls and battery packs to get the plane in the air, but these things need to be assembled and installed. Not as easy with electrics as glow in my opinion.

Second, easily taking off from grass is really a result of having large enough wheels. For the typical grass field, 3" is usually what's recommended. I don't know of any "off the shelf" electrics capable of easily supporting 3" wheels.

You can certainly get a kit and convert it for electric power (by lightening everywhere possible and altering the firewall), then use a brushless motor and speed control (about $150, plus another $60 for a battery pack), but an ARF? I've never seen one.

Sorry,
Dennis-
Old 12-18-2003, 05:58 AM
rcnovice100

Thanks for the advice Dennis, i think im gonna have to compramise!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:08 AM
gus

ORIGINAL: joelansing

How tall is the grass? How smooth is the ground? How big are your wheels? Grass at a club field can be a lot easier than grass at a park. Also, wouldn't a tail dragger be easier to land on grass? Not as much nosing over? Then again, tail draggers with a tiny wheel on the back don't steer too great in grass. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new also.. - Joe
I only have grass runway experience, and I can tell you that a tail-dragger noses over way more than tricycle gear on grass. The worst part is when the plane is stopped, and you try to get moving. The grass provides a lot of resistance, and sometimes my plane noses over before it get's going. I have to put my elevator to high-rates, and then do full "up" elevator to ensure it does not happen. This becomes really tricky toom, because if you are taxiing down wind, you need the full "up" elevator to prevent nose-overs. Then you want to turn around, so you reduce throttle, and because there is no longer any prop-wash over the elevator, the wind takes over, and blowing from behind the plane it just lofts the tail up-and-over... nose-over all over again.

I thing I need to adjust my plane so that the wheels are further in front of the CG.

gus.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:43 AM
TerrellFlyer

Taking off and landing on grass is easier than a hard surface ,the resistance on the wheels keeps the plane straighter on take off and slows the plane on landing,again there is a trade off. The type of grass, the thickness,and the height of the grass can create to much resistance for a small engine and or small wheels.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Crashem

Here's what I do when flying my parkflyers,

To take off and land on grass with a small light weight parkflyer is next to impossible.

However I bought a large tarp from Walmarts about 20.00 I cut the grass short then stretch and secure the tarp I now have an instant landing strip that tarp is I think 16x24. I've also seen carpet used.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Woodsy

I also saw a vid of a guy flying a GWS A10 of a roll of floor vynal, roll it out and instant runway, the curv or the vynal from being rolled even gave it a ski ramp at the end just like one of the light carriers for the Harrier jump jet.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

For a trainer, the PT20 electric will do it.
I have also seen an electric Rascal do it.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:12 AM
eifion

My Slow Stick takes off and lands from grass no problem, and it's not particularly smooth ground at the park either.

I think the trick is to throttle up really slowly at first just to get the plane moving, increase throttle a bit to get the tail up, and wait till it's stabalised with the tail flying, then give it full throttle, wait for the airspeed to build and give it a little up elevetor to get unstuck.

That actually takes longer to type than it does to do!
Old 12-19-2003, 10:41 AM
rcnovice100

Thanks everone for the help!
Old 12-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I read somewhere of a Funtana being converted into electric, with just $10 and like 1/2 hour work, but a Funtana isn't exactly a parkflyer, is it?
Old 12-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Crashem

I read somewhere of a Funtana being converted into electric, with just $10 and like 1/2 hour work, but a Funtana isn't exactly a parkflyer, is it?
You might want to go back and re-read that $10.00 will not buy you one battery pack neccessary to power a plane of that size

That plane in ARF Config wieghs 4-5.5lbs and requires a .46 2s glow engine of .70 4s there is no way that you will be able to convert it to an electric with the same performance for the same price as glow.

Electric power is in general much more expensive when compared to glow..
Old 12-20-2003, 12:03 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to convert it for $10 worth of materials if you already have the electric motor, gearbox, speed control and battery pack.
Dennis-
Old 12-20-2003, 09:32 AM
TerrellFlyer

friend of my is converting his to electric,so far he has a couple weeks work and around $500.00 in the electric conversion,he is still converting.[:-]
Old 12-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Crashem

You might be able to convert it for $10 worth of materials if you already have the electric motor, gearbox, speed control and battery pack.
Dennis-
Maybe so but very misleading... You aren't in marketing by chance??