Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Landing technique

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Landing technique

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Doc_Detroit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing technique

I have no problem landing a trainer for real or in RealFlight. I line it up, shoot the approach, chop the throttle when over the field, get it low, flare and touch down. In anticipation of starting to fly my second plane this spring (haven't decided on the model yet), I've started flying some of the low wing planes in RealFlight. If I try to use the same technique as I used in the trainer, I end up landing pretty hard, and bouncing. Am I landing too slow? Should I land with some throttle? Should the approach be steeper or shallower than a typical trainer approach? If I try a shallower approach, I get a "porposing" effect as I try to flare (ground effect)?

Thanks I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Landing technique

It's hard to say what you're doing wrong because all planes land a little differently. Plus, as nice as G2 is, it's still not the same as flying. You could try lowering your Idle speed, or trying different approach angles, but my guess is that the computer is just not responding the way a real plane would.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:35 PM
JimTrainor

After much practice, I can get them all to land bounce free but only with a judicous combination of elevator and throttle inputs to control the speed, decent rate, and attitude at toudh down. I find that it is more sensitive than the real thing - although the simulated PT-40 is pretty forgiving. The simulated AT-6 is probably the least forgiving, but, if it settles in on all three wheels (i.e. a three point landing) with a very low decent rate, it won't bounce. That requires some elevator and throttle input during the flair in order to manage the plane's speed, decent rate, and attitude. I usually have a bit of throttle on as it the settles in then chop it at the moment it touchs down.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Live Wire

You will learn with experince, The throttle make a lot of difference when you land , you will learn to work the throttle to make smother landings. Give your plane a little down trim where you have to fly it in , and work throttle ! Try this on your Real Flight and practice with different speed on approach. My RF lands harder than my planes, you can change that on your RF setting's.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 AM
David Cutler

Landing is a very complex process, but, basically there are two types of landing techniques.

Firstly, for planes with low wing loadings like trainers, you land them much as you've described. When you feel you are at a height that you will reach the runway on the landing leg, you chop the throttle and let it sink down until it stalls just before touching down. Actually, G2 is very good at emulating this.

The other type of landing is more for aerobatic-type planes that have higher wing loading, and are less stable (low wing, less dihedral etc). You have to 'fly these in' more than a trainer. That is, you have to keep an eye on throttle management to make sure you don't stall the wing, or even more disastrously, stall only one wing! Approach the landing with a couple of clicks of throttle and at a sharper (i.e. flatter) approach angle.

If you can land on the G2 with confidence, I reckon you would be OK with a trainer, at least, landing the real thing.

It's still a good idea to enlist an instructor though.

One more thing . . on the approach remember the throttle controls the height and the elevator the speed. I know that sounds the wrong way round, but it's true and is worth keeping in the back of your mind.

Good luck!

-David C.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:46 AM
wtb3886

Greetings from South Carolina Doc_Detroit:
When you get away from a trainers flat bottom wing top mounted, diehedrel forgiveness, slow flight characteristics it is time to land with speed no matter what type of plane you are flying. Speed an agility of the pilot and pratice until you have the key to success which is timing.
If you pratice up high and find out how many clicks of throttle it takes to just move forward then when it's time to land you know how much power your plane needs for final approach. You can also learn what stall characteristics your airplane has up high an by doing this you will know what is going to happen when you slow down too much near the ground.

Too many new pilots attempt to bring in airplanes that are not trainers just like they did when they were landing their trainers and find out that dreded stall characteristic and if they are not prepared for it they say their airplane did not do what they told it to do.

Land it like a jet, use the speed on landings, drive your airplane onto the landing strip, once you touch down back off the throttle, so that you don't find the stall point!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:01 AM
gus

I am trying to get good at landing my second plane (an UltraSport+). I have moved up from a trainer (PT-40 from Great Planes). I am anxious about stalling at landing and want to land with adequate speed rather than just above stall speed.

Here's my advice. Firsly, my plane has very stiff and straight landing gear (it is a tail dragger) which are mounted to the wing. The gear does not "spring" much at all, so bouncing is not going to happen very much. Secondly, you should be chopping your throttle way before "when over the field". Compared to my trainer, the UltraSport is *fast*. On the "far" side of the circuit I drop to 1/4 throttle. I then turn in to the approach at about 40' high and 100' short of the runway. I cut throttle to idle. Point the plane into the ground so that it looks like it will "hit" about 10' before the runway, and trade off my 40' altitude for speed. 20' short of the runway I am about 10' off the ground, and I level off slowly so that I am comming over the runway at about 3 feet, and level. I then, when everything is stable, and I am happy that I am in a good state to land, I simply nose down slightly, and "fly" the plane into the ground so that touchdown is about 20' into the runway. The "trick" is to hit at a shallow angle. You *want* to be slightly nose down. Don't flare. You do not want to stall the wings until you are solidly on the ground. When I have run off some ground speed I use the elevator to put down the tailwheel. If you are going too fast then the elevator will cause you to "take off" again, and porpoise.

Anyway, this method works for me. With my trainer I am still enjoying the soft and gentle just-above-stall "plop" landings, but being that close to stall with my second plane is just scary.

gus
Old 12-18-2003, 10:24 AM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Doc_Detroit

Where are you flying?
I am at PMAC.

Anyways...Different planes land differently.
For example, my Sig Somethin' Extra lands very slow. So throttle management is the key. A little throttle and it will gain altitude, less and it will float down. Now compare that to my World Models Sport 40 (low wing). It needs to be flown in with a little speed and then hold it above the deck with some elevator. I don't use the throttle on this plane unless I decide I am short or I need to go around.

Good Luck.

Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 06:48 PM
cdsmith

Once you have mastered the planes in Realflight, Select a plane such as the Ultimate and chop about 8 inches off each wing.