Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine 4 Piper cub

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine 4 Piper cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 11:57 AM
nilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine 4 Piper cub

I just received the Clipped wing Piper J3 Cub -48 I bought from AirBone models.
I'm very impressed on how fast they deliver for $10 ( ordered last Friday and received the Monday after).
I'm also happy on confirming how complete this ARF package is. Different than other Piper cub ARF kits I saw so far, it comes with everything plus Fuel tank, Scale pilot, front and tail wheels which the others kits do not carry and the finishing is pretty good.

I'm now deciding on the engine for this plane. I have a evolution 0.46 engine that I currently use in my trainner and could move to the cub but I'm pretty much going to buy a 4 stroke to make the cub look and sound nice.
So far, I checked the engines Magnum XL-52RFS for $150 and the Saito FA56 for $194.
Any comment about these engines and any suggestion? Any better deal out there?

I'm also looking for a good deal for the receiver and servos. I found a JR700 (I use JR radio) + 4 servos( I would need 5) + battery + switch for $124.Any better deal you guys know about?

Nilo
Old 12-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine 4 Piper cub

Sounds like you've done your research. Good job !!! The Magnum engine is a good engine for the price. Take a look At the Thunder Tiger as well. Price is in between the Magnum and Saito. I would say the Magnum is a little more forgiving in regards to handling. (OS Clone) But that depends on what experience you've had with Four Strokes.
The radio is a good choice as well for the price. There are others, but your already using JR equipment so stay with it. Can't remember if the 700 offers any model memory? If not you may want to consider one that does. Your budget will help decide that.
Good Luck and Have Fun !!! [&:]
Old 12-18-2003, 05:09 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard goos things about the Magnum Four Strokes. I have two of the Thunder Tiger 54 four strokes, and they have decent power and are very reliable. One of mine has about 30 flights on it now, and is really beginning to come up on the power curve. It will give decent vertial performance on my 40 size Super Sportster. (Nice large, round loops. ) Even runs very reliably during extended inverted flights. (3 to 4 minutes at a time.)

I'd also suggest looking at a computer radio if the one you mentioned isn't. You may want to try Flaperons with the Cub and will need the mixing function.
Dennis-
Old 12-18-2003, 05:22 PM
nilo

Thanks,

My current Radio is a JR X378 7 channels computerized and the receiver I need to buy for my cub will have to be also JR. JR700 is the receiver I currently use in my trainner.
As far as I know, Futaba, JR and other radio manufactors are not compatable to each other receivers, are they?

Nilo
Old 12-18-2003, 05:32 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

The magnum .52 is one of the best engines I own. You might try omni models for a flight pack. I purchased a Hi Tech flight pack from them for $109 W/battery and four ball bearing servos. the Hi Tech Supreme RX is shift selectable so you can use it with JR.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:01 PM
nilo

I found in the omni models a nice pack for $100. It includes a hi tech receiver + 4 servos HS-425 Ball Bearing Servos +baterry + switch.
It says that the receiver is compatible with JR "servos". I assume that all receivers would be compatible with any transmitter as far as they use the same frequency band and channel and modulation? Am I right?

I use my JR transmitter direct connected by cable ( direct servo control - DSC cable) that connects from the transmitter to the receiver of my trainner whenever I need to tune the plane.
Is this hi tech receiver going to work with this feature also or is this something particular of JR receivers?

Are these servos in this pack suitables to a piper J3 cub 48? Will it fit in the wings?

Nilo
Old 12-18-2003, 07:28 PM
phread59

The Magnum 4 strokers are supposed to be good. But I have 7 Saito's. I like the Saito over any other 4 stroker I have seen or handled. Not knocking Magnum's but Saito only makes 4 strokes. I feel for the extra money I would still choose Saito. If money is tight and cost is a factor go for the Magnum. Either one will work well. I feel the longevity of the Saito will balence out the cost difference. I hope this helps. Also check weights I believe the Saito's are the lightest 4 strokers out there. I could be wrong so check numbers. It may be that your plane may need a lighter or heavyer engine. Buying the right one could help balance the plane.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-18-2003, 08:05 PM
bearmech

nilo did that $100 include the crystal and shipping? yes the 425 servos will work fine in your cub. I don't know abour connecting the TX direct to the RX.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:17 PM
nilo

It doens't have the crystal and shipping!

Nilo
Old 12-18-2003, 10:46 PM
bearmech

Ok sounds like the same deal I got.