Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

is a spad sns.40 a good beginner plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

is a spad sns.40 a good beginner plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 02:33 PM
beginner_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a spad sns.40 a good beginner plane

they seem to be strounger than balsa and fly well as i have seen. i have never flowen and i want to get into the hobby .i got a trainner that i got new but have never flowen it. i want to make a sns.40 is it a good beginner plane?
Old 12-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Woodsy

Default RE: is a spad sns.40 a good beginner plane

Nope. a SPAD SNS is a BAD beginer plane, they were designed for .40 combat and as such have all the wrong characteristics for a trainer.
a Good SPAD trainer is the Debonair, BUHOR or SPADet, stick with one of these for your trainer and you'll have no problems learning to fly, well none more than usual.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:13 PM
RichD

I am building a deb in a few months as my trainer.... after I master real flight
Old 12-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Banned

i got a trainner that i got new but have never flowen it.
Why build a first plane if you already have a trainer? Trainers make great first planes. - Joe
Old 12-21-2003, 10:55 AM
beginner_1

because if i crash my trainer and i just want another plane to work on throw the winter. this hobby is realy hard to get into for me because iam 300 miles from the neriest hobby store. but i managed to get a new apache 3 and all my other stuff from a guy in town that has lots of new rc stuff for sale.
there is 1 more reason that i cant get training till spring and i cant wate to fly. so if a build a spad and if i crash it is alot cheaper. but i think i will wate till training in spring.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:19 PM
chimpanzee

I am working on the spad dominator .40. Is that a good trainer.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Ross Kean

SPAD Dominator is a high wing plane without dihedral. It is fairly heavy, fast and very much "point and shoot". Definately not good on any count for a beginner plane! It could be built with some dihedral in the wing but the 48" span won't work as well as the longer span in the Deb. If you want to go SPAD (for lots of good reasons), start with the BUHOR (with the dihedral wing) or Debonair. These are fairly easy to build, are durable and are great flying trainers. The Spadet is also a great flier and looks pretty good too but is somewhat harder to build for a first SPAD.

Ross
Old 12-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I've seen the SPADet. I think it is the best looking of the spad trainer bunch.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:40 AM
beginner_1

thanks it looks like iam not going to build a sns yet.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:40 AM
FrankC29

I am as big a Spad fan as anybody, so I don't want to see anyone's first experience with one go sour. The only Spads on www.spadtothebone.com that are good for training are: The Debonair, the Spadet (if you don't mind a little more work, it's the best looking), and the Buhor (Big Ugly Hell On Rails) with the dihedral wing option, not the standard straight wing. These 3 examples have the characteristics and wingloadings you need for learning. Then, once you are proficient with it, move on to Dominators or DPS's and such. One thing that I will say about Spads and newcomers to the hobby: get assistance, not just with the flying but with acquiring your materials and building it if at all possible. ARF's come with complete hardware and walk you through the assembly process while holding your hand and wiping your nose, especially trainer ARFS. Spads assume that you are somewhat handy, and know your way around clevises, control horns, control rods, on and on. Those of us with experience tend to forget this. My humble suggestion is to read and research until you are blue in the face, and seek help. Any step along the way that stumps you, do a search on it, then ask questions and more questions if you cannot find the answers. What's the internet for if not to learn from the mistakes of others before making them yourself?[X(]