Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Luckiest flyer today, maybe luckiest ever !

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Luckiest flyer today, maybe luckiest ever !

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 02:01 AM
snowwave83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luckiest flyer today, maybe luckiest ever !

Interesting first flight, I have a similar story with several points to learn from. I just learned how to fly for the first time last saturday, I soloed on the next day. I have been flying solo with someone close by just in case. I fly a hobbico nexSTAR with the AFS turned off and with speed breaks on. here are my storied from today alone.

1) First flight of the day - I just fixed a problem last night involving dirt in my fuel tank so last night I had to take off the engine and check the tank, cleared the dirt, added a filter to prevent this problems (which was causing my plane to deadstick and take forever to startup). So prior to the flight I was making sure all my screws were tight and doing some checkups. Well it turns out that the simpliest thing I forgot to check almost injured some fellow club memebers and almost annilated my plane, that thing was checking my radio to make sure the trims were set. I had it trimed from flying yesterday, but as i took the radio out of the car I must have accidently hit the evelvator control, I was completely down = the plane will climb striaght up, it was full UP elevator. Plane took off fine and the second It gained enough speed it went crazy, I had no control of the plane, it was going crazy!! I managed to keep the nose down and keep it controled somewhat while someone ran to my help to fix it because I couldnt take my hands off the control or it would have hit someone. I managed to gain control after someone adjusted the elevator and bring her down.(I was shacking by this time)

***MORAL of the story = Handle your radio carefully and ALWAYS check your gear prior to flight***

2) Two or three flights later - A little piece of information was giving to me a little to late, turns out our landing runway is not complately straing its in a gradual V. To the eye it looks straight because its so long from the pit. Well I was lined up for my landing a little to the right, well I was lined up to the beggining of the field at the far end before it V's. I flew it right into the 10ft trees that surround the runway and pit. Lucky for me I managed to kill the engine prior to impact and that didnt cause the branches get cut up and not hold my plane. The club has a large trailer that has extention poles with hooks, I put on together took the walk out to the tree and grabbed the will and brought it down gently, how much damadged do you ask? None at all, just another scary tale for today.

***MORAL of the story = Check your runway and ask for tips on how to approach from both ends, It may look like your lined up but eye debth perception is fooled alot in our hobby.***

3) Second to last flight of the day - Today was an interesting day So what else could go wrong, well something else did and it is similar to your event jinkers. My left wheel fell off as I came in for my landing, I misjudged the speed so it bounced once and lost the left wheel completely off so I gave it throttle and took her up( A nice touch and go if the wheel hadnt fallen off). So I had one of the instrcutors come over to help me out, he said that he has seen me fly the plane very well so I should try to bring it in. I reasoned with him as much as I could but he insisted I try, So i brought the plane in with him at my side guiding me the whole time. He said do everthing as usually but bring the right wing in a little lower than the left with throttle down slow, the plane was practically gliding in. I got the front wheel down then the right wheel and get the throttle at a low idle and just gave the plane a lot of right turn so the left wheel shaft wouldnt touch the ground untill i slowed down alot, well this worked. The runway got cut up a little bit, and the wheel shaft had a little dirt but nothing bad. I screwed the wheel back on and did one last flight to empty the fuel and brought it in with no problems

***MORAL of the story - After the prior two events I should have gone home and called myself the luckiest guy in the club [8D]! ***
Old 12-21-2003, 06:32 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Luckiest flyer today, maybe luckiest ever !

Good Story!

Fix #1 - After you land the model, adjust clevises so trims on the tx are centered. Then you'll never be far from trim if you put the trims in the center in case you move them. Also makes it easy if you use the same tx for more than one plane.

Fix #2 - Don't land in trees.

Fix #3 - File a flat on the axle and use non-hardening Loctite on the wheel collar set screw. Wheel collars fall off all the time. In fact, I prefer to solder a washer on. It looks nicer, is lighter and is more secure.

Great job considering your low number of hours! [8D]
Old 12-21-2003, 09:53 AM
aimmaintenance

I hope I don't catch your virus after reading this post! hehehe
Old 12-21-2003, 10:22 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snowwave,
Good thread. (Even though I think you meant to reply to someone else's post. )

As usual CafeenMan has it right. You shoul definitely adjust your elevator clevis so there's no trim on the transmitter. But of course, you also have to look at your trims BEFORE you take off o make sure they're centered! You should get in the habit of doing it anyway. It's too easy for a trim lever to get bumped (as you found out), or if there's a lot of people around, once in awhile someone will pick up a transmitter to look at it. I've had people do this and change trims while they're "playing".

And yes, avoid trees, and file a flat spot.
Dennis-
Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 AM
snowwave83

Thanks for the responses guys, but I swear those trees came out of no where ! !

steve
Old 12-23-2003, 12:40 PM
phread59

Congrats on the 2 out of 3 landing! I am glad I am not the only one who has this kinda fun.

mark Shuman
Old 12-23-2003, 06:06 PM
snowwave83

haha today wasnt so lucky or fun. I was flying just as the sun was below the horizon so i kept loosing my plane in the shadows. Came in for a landing, couldnt see to welll, nose went down hard and front landing gear broke off and sliced into the bottom of the fuseloge so I will have to fix that and recover. haha

steve
Old 12-24-2003, 11:40 AM
gus

Sorry to hear about that ....

but .... you should have read the post of min in Crash pictures and discussions ..... Flying immediatly after sunset ... looks nice and bright, but somehow things just have the wrong perspective the moment your wheel leave the ground.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1188099

gus