Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

megatech merlin...and other beginner's planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

megatech merlin...and other beginner's planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 02:00 PM
rbfoley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default megatech merlin...and other beginner's planes

the megatech merlin, is it any good for someone who's never touched an r/c plane before?

if it isn't, does anyone have a recomendation for a good newbie plane?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:12 PM
ZimboRaider

Default RE: megatech merlin...and other beginner's planes

I Have never heard of this plane (not to say that it doesn't exist!) but there are definitely other planes out there that are easy to build and excellent trainers. Basically you want something that is as big as possible so you can see it at long distance, High wing and a bit of dehidral.

It also depends if you want to build a kit, bang together an arf(almost ready to fly), or assemble an artf.

In the kit department theres plenty to chose from:
SIG kadet LT-40
Great Planes PT-40
Goldberg Eaglet 50
Goldberg Eagle 2
and many others

ARF:
Hanger 9 Extra Easy 2
Avistar
And most of the above

The plane of choice for the ARTF dep. is the Hobbico Nexstar. ARTF means it comes with radio engine plane and lots of other goodies

But before you commit to any one of these, listen to some of the more experienced people here and go down to your local RC field and find an instructor to talk to.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Crashem

The megatech line of planes get bashed pretty routinely here and on ezonemag.com

If you are looking for an Electric Park/Slow Flyer then let me suggest you asking your question at ezone they specialize in E-Flight and will give you a better answer (IMHO) then this site.

As far as brands go

I've used GWS and found them to be a great value when compared to the cost.
Also Hobby lobby sells nothing but electrics and each plane can be purchased as a combo providing a begginer with an easy way to make sure they get all the items neccessary to complete and fly the model

Do so research and I'm sure you'll find the perfect plane
Old 12-22-2003, 05:12 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I'll never touch another Megatech product.....and for the RTF price of the Merlin, it's no bargain. As crashem said, look at the GWS electric planes.....specifically, the Slow Stick. If you would like to go the glow plane route, the trainers that Zimboraider mentioned are all popular.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:12 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samll electric Parkflyers, GWS all the way. Slow Stick is probably the best bet.

If you have a large, isolated area, say the size of 4 soccer fields, but no where near ANY houses, people, buildings, roads, you could buy an Aerobird. Complete set-up about $150.

Keep in mind, if you decide to move to another plane after, none of the Aerobird equipment can be moved, so you have to start over.

Go to the website I'm listing, find their "charter club" finder page, find a local club and go check things out before you buy.
http://www.modelaircraft.org

At the very least, spend the next few nights reading as many posts as you can in this Forum.

Good luck, and welcome.
Dennis-